MLB Hot Stove

Phightins

Cliff Lee thought he was staying in Philadelphia—for the rest of his career.

The Phillies’ postseason star proposed a routine counteroffer on a contract extension Wednesday, then headed for the Mississippi River near his Arkansas home to hunt.

He got some stunning news on the drive there.

Phillies general manager Ruben Amaro Jr. called to tell Lee he had been traded to Seattle for three prospects in a four-team deal that brought Roy Halladay to the Phillies. It was the first time that two Cy Young Award winners were dealt on the same day.

Speaking by cell phone Thursday night while beginning a long-planned vacation in Puerto Rico, the 2008 AL Cy Young winner said he was in “disbelief and shock.” The 31-year-old left-hander had been excited to rejoin the Phillies for a run at another World Series.

Instead, he’s headed to his third team in five months.

“At first, I didn’t believe it. I thought we were working out an extension with the Phillies,” Lee said. “I thought I’d be spending the rest of my career there. … I was under the impression they wanted to keep me there for a long time.

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news?slug=ap-mariners-lee&prov=ap&type=lgns

kind of sucks for him, but at least he realizes that the phillies are just trying to improve their team

http://d.yimg.com/a/p/ap/20091218/capt.02bb206253fa4c0e8714ec0cd8b4889e.cubs_mariners_trade_baseball_ny154.jpg?x=180&y=200&xc=62&yc=1&wc=287&hc=319&q=70&sig=UgMkkGRJ8D9rw6aOEEkIkg--

----------------

Busy Seattle gets Bradley from Cubs for Silva

SEATTLE (AP)—Mercurial outfielder Milton Bradley(notes) was traded to the Seattle Mariners from the Chicago Cubs on Friday for expensive and underperforming pitcher Carlos Silva(notes).

Chicago has been wanting to deal Bradley since the Cubs suspended him for the final two weeks of last season, shortly after he criticized the atmosphere surrounding a team that hasn’t won a World Series since 1908.

Seattle, which has never even appeared in a World Series, didn’t expect to find a suitor for Silva. He has done little except lose and get hurt in the two seasons since he signed a $48 million, four-year contract.

Silva won five games in two years with the Mariners: $4.8 million per victory.

Second-year Mariners general manager Jack Zduriencik, who inherited Silva’s contract from predecessor Bill Bavasi, has been seeking more offense following his acquisition of ace Cliff Lee(notes) in a trade with Philadelphia and the signing All-Star infielder Chone Figgins(notes).

Seattle’s GM characterized Bradley’s fire as a passion to win.

The 31-year-old Bradley was an All-Star in 2008 as a designated hitter with Texas. He led the AL in on-base percentage while batting a career high-tying .321 during a relatively event-free year. That was followed by a tumultuous season with the Cubs.

Seattle believes clubhouse leader Ken Griffey Jr.(notes) and newcomer Figgins will be able to rein in Bradley’s “passion” in a way that is productive. The Mariners repeatedly have proclaimed they want players of high character with good attitudes, citing Figgins as the latest example on Tuesday.

They also wanted another bat.

---

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news?slug=ap-cubs-marinerstrade&prov=ap&type=lgns

Oh yeah baby, getting better so fast and quick.

This is Milton Bradley's 8th team and he has had problems literally everywhere he has gone. There is a reason a guy with that much talent has been run off of so many teams. I'd say it's a matter of time until something happens in Seattle. But I guess it is a risk worth taking for getting Silva's contract off of their hands. Silva may be one of three or four guys in baseball with a worse contract than Bradley.

http://www.rotoworld.com/images/photos/MLB/BOS/MLB_Lowell_small.jpg

Lowell needs surgery; Texas trade off

Mike Lowell will undergo surgery on his right thumb, and the trade sending him to the Rangers for Max Ramirez is off.

Lowell is only expected to need 6-8 weeks to recover, but Texas has dropped the deal anyway. Perhaps it will be revisited if Lowell proves to be 100 percent in spring training. The Red Sox might be able to find a better deal then anyway, considering that they had to pay $9 million of the $12 million that Lowell was owed in their attempt to move him now. The Red Sox do have to be very disappointed in Lowell, considering that he failed to have the thumb problem addressed at the conclusion of the season.

Source

http://www.rotoworld.com/images/photos/MLB/ATL/MLB_Vazquez_small.jpg

Report: Yanks deal for Braves' Javier Vazquez

Joel Sherman of the New York Post has confirmed that the Yankees have acquired Javier Vazquez and LHP Boone Logan from the Braves for outfielder Melky Cabrera, LHP Mike Dunn and RHP Arodys Vizcaino.

The deal is basically complete, and only pending physicals from all five players involved. Vizcaino, 19, manged a 2.13 ERA in 10 starts (42 1/3 innings) at the Single-A level this year and boasts major upside. Dunn is also a quality young hurler and Cabrera fills a hole for Atlanta, but the Yankees just landed a top-line starter and now have the opportunity to significantly improve their club with a hard-hitting free agent outfielder like Matt Holliday or Jason Bay. It must be nice to have a limitless budget.

Source

Woa... both guys the Yanks got are ex-White Sox players. Weird.

Vazquez's AL/NL splits throughout his career are huge. Had a very good season with Atlanta but I think a lot of people need to be convinced that he can pitch in the AL, myself included.

http://www.rotoworld.com/images/photos/MLB/ATL/MLB_Vazquez_small.jpg

Report: Yanks deal for Braves' Javier Vazquez

Source

Woa... both guys the Yanks got are ex-White Sox players. Weird.

I actually originally thought we made the trade with Chicago because I didn't know about Logan and Vazquez going elsewhere, haha.

I really like the move, though. Our rotation looks great with Sabathia, Burnett, Pettitte, and Vazquez confirmed. We can move either Joba or Hughes back to the 'pen now. Boone Logan is also a nice addition to our bullpen. If I'm not mistaken, he throws hard because I remember almost every White Sox reliever threw heat.

It's a shame that we won't have the strong corner outfielder in Melky that we anticipated. Still, we can go after Nady for a cheap price. We might even start talking with Damon again.

Phillies and Angels supposedly the two main teams in on Fernando Rodney.

Phillies only major need yet to be filled is the bullpen. I have never been that high on Rodney, but it looks like the options are dwindling and he might be the best bet remaining. He'd have to be willing to primarily be the setup man, but the fact that he has experience closing is nice. Also, I really think the Phillies should just give in and give Chan Ho Park whatever he wants to get him to stay. He was, for my money, the most valuable pitcher on the staff last season (well except for Cliff Lee in the postseason, obviously). Losing him and his versatility creates a major void and I don't see anybody else in the organization who can fill it.

I actually originally thought we made the trade with Chicago because I didn't know about Logan and Vazquez going elsewhere, haha.

I really like the move, though. Our rotation looks great with Sabathia, Burnett, Pettitte, and Vazquez confirmed. We can move either Joba or Hughes back to the 'pen now. Boone Logan is also a nice addition to our bullpen. If I'm not mistaken, he throws hard because I remember almost every White Sox reliever threw heat.

It's a shame that we won't have the strong corner outfielder in Melky that we anticipated. Still, we can go after Nady for a cheap price. We might even start talking with Damon again.

Agreed.

I think it's a pretty even trade; yeah you lose Melky but you get a pretty good starter, and a decent reliever. Like you said it also allows for more depth in the pen now.

But it's obvious the Yanks are going to need another OF now, so... do they go after Damon, Bay, or Holliday?

Lol even trade? Braves got hosed! Melky is whack as hell, not a starter he's at best a platoon 4th out fielder. The only reason the Braves agreed to this is because they have a stacked rotation.

Melky has a pretty good arm... if he were to hit more consistently. The NL might be good for him.

Edited by bigdog17k

Marlins make a 5 year offer to Ardolis Chapman. Chapman, for those who don't know who he is, is a mega talented pitcher who just came over from Cuba. He threw some dominant innings at the WBC and had his fastball top out at 102. I hope the Yankees get him but it would be really cool to see him pitch in Miami with the big Cuban population here.

Marlins make a 5 year offer to Ardolis Chapman. Chapman, for those who don't know who he is, is a mega talented pitcher who just came over from Cuba. He threw some dominant innings at the WBC and had his fastball top out at 102. I hope the Yankees get him but it would be really cool to see him pitch in Miami with the big Cuban population here.

Yeah with the fans who don't go to the games.

Yeah with the fans who don't go to the games.

For once I agree with you. I'd rather be a Philadelphia fan classified as a scum bag than a Miami fan classified as somebody who doesn't care about their teams or doesn't show up to the games.

Yeah Flash, those big stereotypes feel nice don't they?

Edited by Phightins