Gilbert Arenas, Teammate Allegedly Drew Guns on Each Other in Locker Room

NJNJ

If the Gilbert Arenas gun story wasn't weird before, it surely is now. Last week, news broke that Wizards and the NBA were investigating whether Arenas's storing of a couple firearms in his locker at the Verizon Center violated league rules. Arenas claimed he moved his guns from his home to the locker room because after the birth of his daughter, he decided he didn't want his kids to be around firearms.

That claim will now be called into question as the New York Post and Yahoo! Sports independently report that Arenas was allegedly involved in a standoff with teammate Javaris Crittenton on December 21. The District of Columbia police and the U.S. Attorney's Office are now involved, according to Yahoo!'s Adrian Wojnarowski.

The Post's Peter Vescey and David K. Li, citing one named source, report that Crittenton confronted Arenas about an unpaid gambling debt, leading Arenas to draw a weapon. Crittenton then drew a weapon of his own.

(And this, my friends, is why we don't keep guns in our lockers!)

Things are already terrible for the Wizards, and this won't make anything better. Crittenton hasn't played a minute this season owing to offseason surgery. Arenas will almost assuredly be severely punished for the alleged gun play (assuming the stand-off isn't completely fictional). Even beyond a potential loss of Arenas, the team will be tossed into some matter of turmoil in the short-term while every reporter within shouting distance of D.C. descends on the locker room.

CONTINUE READING

At first I thought him keeping a gun in his locker may have been for safety reasons or something like that. But... for this dumb [expletive]?

Seriously, he needs to be traded.. to Europe or something. Nobody in the NBA wants him, that's for sure.

Edited by Poe

We have by far the worst team chemistry in the league. The players clearly don't get along with the exception of Nick, Dom, and McGee. Now they've resorted to gun threats? We are now officially the league joke, and it will remain that way until we scrap Gilbert. That better happen, I am so over rooting for that guy.

Guest California Dreamin'

$150,000.00 will make you do stupid things.

If this story is true about Javaris and Arenas - The NBA should suspend them for the rest of the season.

Can the Washington Bullets waive Arenas' contract?

$150,000.00 will make you do stupid things.

If this story is true about Javaris and Arenas - The NBA should suspend them for the rest of the season.

Can the Washington Bullets waive Arenas' contract?

We could, but we'd be responsible for his contract until it either expires or someone signs him.

I hope he gets suspended for the rest of the season to be honest, maybe we'll start playing more efficiently with him out of the lineup.

There might be scripture in NBA contracts prohibiting nonsense like this. If so, the Wizards may be able to void Arenas contract. He's not going to be punished too severely by the NBA yet because the NBA wants to wait before criminal investigations are concluded.

Now that I think about it, whatever trade value Arenas had is probably completely gone now. I don't know what team in their right mind would trade for him, and its not like he has an expiring contract. I'm sure the Wizards will be able to waive him once the criminal investigation is finished.

There might be scripture in NBA contracts prohibiting nonsense like this. If so, the Wizards may be able to void Arenas contract. He's not going to be punished too severely by the NBA yet because the NBA wants to wait before criminal investigations are concluded.

Yup. An NBA Insider posted this on HoopsHype.

Bill Simmons: FYI: if Gilbert is convicted of a felony, the Wiz can void his horrific contract ASAP. No wonder they reported it so quickly!
Edited by Gil-Zero