Philadelphia Phillies 2010

Phightins

And just an FYI, my "trade everyone!" line was 100% sarcastic.

There really is not too much they can do right now.

Edited by Phightins

Not yet, Brown will most likely not be up here until September at the earliest. Ibanez is stuck here whether Phillies fans like it or not (thanks Ruben!), and they do not want to start Brown's ARB clock yet (which does make sense). If anybody outfielder gets called up it will be John Mayberry Jr. (in fact he may be called up as soon as Tuesday, so we have an extra right handed bat for the Yankees series against Sabathia and Pettitte).

Funny how great signing can go to terrible signing over the course of a year. That's why it's not fair the judge contracts 1 year into them.

BTW - not calling it a terrible signing, it was still decent, and may end up being good if ibanez can turn it around, just saying in general

Edited by Fish7718

Funny how great signing can go to terrible signing over the course of a year. That's why it's not fair the judge contracts 1 year into them.

BTW - not calling it a terrible signing, it was still decent, and may end up being good if ibanez can turn it around, just saying in general

It was great for the first 3 months. And those 3 months is part of what propelled us to the pennant, so it's hard for me to hate on it in that regard.

But, it just looks like a lot of his bat speed is gone. He has always had a ridiculously quick bat and it just doesn't seem like it's there anymore. It is still June though, so you are right we should give him time, I am just not holding my breath on him returning to his old form.

Bad decision by Ruben to give him 3 years, no matter how you look at it. At the time of the signing, he should have been able to see this situation coming. I am sure he did not see Raul falling off the face of the earth by halfway through year 2, but he knew Jayson Werth would be up for an extension, and he also knew that we have a bunch of very good outfielders in the system (the only position we have a lot of at the time being, especially now with Drabek gone), and that chances are at least one of them would be MLB ready by the winter of 2010 (as it looks like Domonic Brown will be). Giving an aging corner outfielder 3 years seemed like a mistake to many at the time, and now it looks very bad. I am not too thrilled with what Ruben has done so far, to be honest. With the rest of the NL East projecting to be a hell of a lot better within the next 2-3 years, Ruben better get it together.

Edited by Phightins

It was great for the first 3 months. And those 3 months is part of what propelled us to the pennant, so it's hard for me to hate on it in that regard.

But, it just looks like a lot of his bat speed is gone. He has always had a ridiculously quick bat and it just doesn't seem like it's there anymore. It is still June though, so you are right we should give him time, I am just not holding my breath on him returning to his old form.

Bad decision by Ruben to give him 3 years, no matter how you look at it. At the time of the signing, he should have been able to see this situation coming. I am sure he did not see Raul falling off the face of the earth by halfway through year 2, but he knew Jayson Werth would be up for an extension, and he also knew that we have a bunch of very good outfielders in the system (the only position we have a lot of at the time being, especially now with Drabek gone), and that chances are at least one of them would be MLB ready by the winter of 2010 (as it looks like Domonic Brown will be). Giving an aging corner outfielder 3 years seemed like a mistake to many at the time, and now it looks very bad. I am not too thrilled with what Ruben has done so far, to be honest. With the rest of the NL East projecting to be a hell of a lot better within the next 2-3 years, Ruben better get it together.

Very true, he should have recognized they would need the money committed to Raul in year 3 for the 2010 off season considering it is a very critical offseason for the Phillies.

2 years 22 million would have probably been better.

Matchups for NYY series...

Tomorrow: Roy Halladay @ CC Sabathia

Wednesday: Jamie Moyer @ AJ Burnett

Thursday: Kyle Kendrick @ Andy Pettitte

Edited by Phightins

Interesting...

The 3 Yankees starters for this series were the 3 guys they used all throughout the postseason last year. None of the 3 Phillies starters were on the postseason roster (actually I think Kendrick may have been for the NLDS, but regardless...). Obviously Halladay would have been, but it is still an interesting tidbit.

Slight lineup shuffle tonight. Chase Utley is now hitting 2nd and Placido Polanco is hitting 3rd. Not sure if this is just a one game thing so they don't have back to back lefties at any point against Sabathia, or if this will be permanent. I do like the idea of Polanco batting 3rd though, at least until Utley gets back in gear.

Also, Raul Ibanez is in LF and Ben Francisco is the DH, which does not make a whole lot of sense to me. At Fenway I understood this, since Ibanez has more experience playing balls off the Green Monster, but frankly, you'd think that the use of a DH would be a great chance to get Ibanez out of the field.

Also, Jamie Moyer and Kyle Kendrick have been swapped in the rotation. If anything good comes out of this, it means we won't have to deal with the endless jokes/references saying "Jamie Moyer and Andy Pettitte are old!".

Tex's landed right over the 314 marker. And Swisher's was not long gone at all. Hell, he broke his bat and it barely cleared the fence.

And I wouldn't say any homerun is "cheap" since both teams have to use the same dimensions, but I just don't understand how they could be allowed to build a stadium with those dimensions in today's age. The RF porch at Citizens Bank Park is generally called a joke, but it is 15 feet deeper than the one at Yankee Stadium. It's definitely not "unfair", just a tad ridiculous. Just IMO.

Just saw the replay of the Swisher HR. It was deeper than I initially thought. Just crazy strength I guess, to break a bat and still hit a deep fly ball.

I was going to say, I could swear it went at least 10ish rows... but I couldn't find any clips to verify.

To address the dimensions, they're the same dimensions as the old Jankee Stadium.. you can't take a team with tradition like the Yanks and change the dimensions. There would be outrage.

They've fixed the wind tunnel issue from last year, at least. Leave us alone :lol:

With this team looking more pathetic by the day, I have to keep reminding myself that they do this every year and come out of it every year (in fact, their big slump last year was worse than this, record wise). With that said, I do not remember them looking this awful during their slump last year. Good god.