Philadelphia Phillies 2010

Phightins

I wonder if Roy Halladay has a high ERA against the AL this season simply because of the anti-bat doughnut effect. He's said this year that he's only had to rely on two of his pitches to get outs, and maybe switching back isn't going so smoothly for him.

Well, he's only faced 2 AL teams (Yankees and Red Sox), who coincidentally are probably the 2 best lineups he has faced this year period. So, I'm not sure if we should read much into it. He will face the Twins and Blue Jays to finish out his interleague schedule, so if he gets hit around in those starts too, then maybe there is something to it.

Edited by Phightins

Yeah we'll see how long the pitching can keep that up, as for Rollins those calf injuries are tricky, if he comes back I wouldn't expect him to be 100% and I also would not be surprised if he got injured again. Just going to ignore your little friend.

Jimmy Rollins, where art thou?

;)

The pitching has been fine, actually. Obviously it has not been for the past 4 games (except for Hamels on Sunday), but through most of this bad stretch, it has been 100% on the bats.

And I have said all along that Jimmy Rollins is the least replaceable hitter in this lineup.

Edited by Phightins

The pitching has been fine, actually. Obviously it has not been for the past 4 games (except for Hamels on Sunday), but through most of this bad stretch, it has been 100% on the bats.

And I have said all along that Jimmy Rollins is the least replaceable hitter in this lineup.

Nah the post was more about Rollins, I didn't think he'd be back by now and at this point I don't think it's ridiculous to think a return around all star break given the fact there has been no good news. Should be interesting to see who gets back first Beltran or Rollins.

Nah the post was more about Rollins, I didn't think he'd be back by now and at this point I don't think it's ridiculous to think a return around all star break given the fact there has been no good news. Should be interesting to see who gets back first Beltran or Rollins.

Well, he is playing in a rehab game tomorrow night, so I'd call that good news lol. If all goes well, he should be back this weekend, or the Cleveland series next week.

so i was at the game last night. i was wearing a flyers shirt (no clean phillies shirts at the time), and there was a guy wearing a blackhawks shirt and yankees hat that was yelling go blackhawks to me. tops my list of most frontrunner person ive ever seen. and no surprise that i see him at a yankee game of all places

This is the first time Jamie Moyer has pitched in new Yankee Stadium. This is the 49th ballpark he has pitched at in his career, if my math is correct.

Edited by Phightins

It's pretty crazy that tonight was the first time the Phillies hit back-to-back HR's.

Baseball's a pretty awesome sport. Moyer throws a complete game, then gives up nine runs in 1+ innings, and pitches 8 strong tonight. He didn't pitch from the stretch until walking Rodriguez in the seventh inning. And tonight's outing after the Yankees hit Halladay incredibly last night.

I've been gone all day so I didn't get to post that Scott Mathieson has been called up. Long overdue. He has been tearing up AAA. Really cool story too. Promising prospect a few years ago, had to have Tommy John surgery, and finally worked his way back. He still can hit 100 with his fastball. When Madson comes back (assuming Mathieson sticks around), we will have 4 legitimate power arms in the bullpen, with Mathieson, Madson, Baez, and Contreras.

That was cool. Not the two games I expected to win in this series, but I will certainly take it. Breaks finally starting to even out and come back to our side.

ryan howard!! i forgot that he was good at baseball

He has not been bad at all this year, he has just not been hitting as many homeruns as usual. I am most happy to see Chase Utley having a good game. He has had several good swings this week, and it is finally paying off tonight.

Scott Mathieson pitched yesterday. He has an incredible fastball. Unfortunately, that's about all he has right now. Out of the 22 pitches he threw, I think only 2 were breaking balls. But with that said, he was still a lot better than his line will indicate. Got victimized by a couple weak singles. Only one ball was hit hard off him. He definitely needs to improve his changeup, or perhaps add a slider, but this dude has a ton of potential. If he can get a half-decent breaking ball he will be a hell of a closer some day.

Also, Fly3rs and I going to the game this afternoon. It's a date! :wub:

Edited by Phightins

Alright, Ruben has officially lost me. He designated Scott Mathieson for assignment today. Called up Dane Sardinha (a catcher). Carlos Ruiz got banged up last night, but I guess not bad enough for a DL stint, but enough that they want a 3rd catcher around. But why Mathieson? He will be claimed very shortly, I am sure of it.

Edited by Phightins