New York Yankees 2010

Teletopez

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Admirers of Yankees most eligible bachelor Derek Jeter could be cheering a World Series victory in November — then mourning his marriage a few days later.

The New York Post reports Sunday that the star shortstop and girlfriend Minka Kelly will be married Nov. 5 on Long Island. Acting on a tip, a reporter posing as a bride-to-be spotted an entry reading "JETER wedding" on the calendar for the Oheka Castle in Huntington, N.Y. Sales manager Rick Bellando insisted that a celebrity wouldn't be listed under his real name when the reporter pointed it out.

ABC News

• 2 weeks later...

You have to wonder how things would have played out had Damon had an agent not named Scott Boras.

The Yankees now have a veteran in Randy Winn along with Jamie Hoffman to try out in LF.

Great signing. We didn't require more money than what Steinbrenner gave Cashman while signing a veteran OF.

The Yankees are still interested in a RH OF, so they could still be after Baldelli.

• 2 weeks later...
NEW YORK -- The Yankees announced Monday that they have signed right-handed-hitting outfielder Marcus Thames to a Minor League contract, inviting him and 19 other non-roster players -- including top catching prospect Jesus Montero -- to Spring Training.

The Yankees also made their acquisition of outfielder Randy Winn official, signing him to a one-year deal worth a reported $2 million.

Winn and Thames will battle Brett Gardner for the starting left-field job vacated by departed free agent Johnny Damon. The Yankees could also choose to platoon the left-handed-hitting Gardner with Winn, Thames or some combination of the two.

Yankees.com

Three former Yankees have come back this offseason: Vazquez, Johnson, and Thames.

What a coincidence...

The Braves are believed to have discussed a one-year offer with Damon, who is vacationing in Hawaii, according to a source. The club has not confirmed making an offer. While the financial terms weren't disclosed, this source indicated that a portion of the salary would be deferred.

When the Braves have pursued top free agents in the past, they have often asked Jones to serve as a recruiter. The veteran third baseman wouldn't confirm whether the Braves had asked him to contact Damon.

The Braves are believed to have somewhere in the neighborhood of $2 million to $4 million to spend. If deferred funds are part of the deal, the offer could prove to be slightly more significant.

MLB.com

Hughes and Joba deserve a shot at competing for the fifth spot in the rotation, but I really like the idea of having them both in the bullpen, while having either Gaudin or Mitre as our #5 arm. Gaudin was great for us last year, and Mitre wasn't bad when his sinker was working. And having Hughes and Joba coming out of the 'pen while Rivera is still playing may benefit them in the long run.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm pretty excited about having Chan Ho Park added to the roster. If you look at Boston last offseason, they weren't able to sign Tex, but they followed up with a number of smaller salary signings, particularly with their 'pen. Guys like Ramon Ramirez and Takashi Saito kept them rolling for a period of time. That's basically what the Yankees have done this offseason, with Thames, Winn, Park, and Mike Rivera.

The signing most likely means that the fifth starter spot is going to either Chamberlain or Hughes. I was leaning towards having Gaudin in there, but you never know if a player will have one of those seasons to forget and you need to turn to someone else, so it's good that we have a lot of talented arms.

There's so much to anticipate.

• 4 weeks later...

Montero, Romine, Curtis, and Gorecki were all assigned to AA.

A lot of our position players have found their ways at the plate this month. The pitching has been very good as well. Hughes and Burnett's outings looked rough on paper, but they both had great performances.

I believe the ticket prices have dropped a lot this season, so it will be nice to see seats behind the plate and dugouts to fill up once again.

• 2 weeks later...

Chan Ho Park seems like the best choice for the eighth inning role. He has pitched 6 scoreless innings this month with 7 K's and 4 hits allowed.

Both Royce Ring and Boone Logan have been pitching very well, so those two, along with Marte, should give us some good lefty options from the 'pen.

I'm disappointed that Gaudin was released (old news), and I still think it would have been best for him or Mitre to be our fifth starter. Hughes and Joba both seem to be more comfortable out of the bullpen. Of course, they don't have to worry about pitch count so much and they can throw all the heat they have, which can go up to 96 or 97.

Chan Ho Park seems like the best choice for the eighth inning role. He has pitched 6 scoreless innings this month with 7 K's and 4 hits allowed.

Both Royce Ring and Boone Logan have been pitching very well, so those two, along with Marte, should give us some good lefty options from the 'pen.

I'm disappointed that Gaudin was released (old news), and I still think it would have been best for him or Mitre to be our fifth starter. Hughes and Joba both seem to be more comfortable out of the bullpen. Of course, they don't have to worry about pitch count so much and they can throw all the heat they have, which can go up to 96 or 97.

Hughes and Joba should both be starters, it wouldn't be a question with other organizations, the Yankees probably would have loved to have both of them in the rotation this year but when you get an offer like Melky and the prospect for Vazquez, that's tough to pass on. I see it like this for the Yanks.

1. CC

2. Burnett

3. Pettitte

4. Vazquez (probably the 2nd best pitcher on the rotation though)

5. Hughes

CL. Mariano

8th. Robertson/Joba

7th, Aceves/Marte

Long Relief. Park

I think the Yankees would be making a mistake by giving Chan Ho Park a defined role. He's so valuable because he can do so many things. He definitely has the "stuff" to pitch the 8th or 9th, but he can also come in in the 5th or 6th and go multiple innings. That's what made him so good with the Phillies last year.

Hughes and Joba should both be starters, it wouldn't be a question with other organizations, the Yankees probably would have loved to have both of them in the rotation this year but when you get an offer like Melky and the prospect for Vazquez, that's tough to pass on. I see it like this for the Yanks.

1. CC

2. Burnett

3. Pettitte

4. Vazquez (probably the 2nd best pitcher on the rotation though)

5. Hughes

CL. Mariano

8th. Robertson/Joba

7th, Aceves/Marte

Long Relief. Park

I still think Hughes has to prove that he can handle a starting role. But yes, over time, I'd like to see both Hughes and Joba in a rotation. The exception to that would be if they are apart of the plans to cover for when Rivera retires.

As for your setup of the bullpen, I think that Aceves is easily the best for long relief. He's capable of cruising through two or three innings of out of the 'pen. Robertson has potential to be an eighth inning reliever, but Girardi and Eiland probably want to see him get comfortable in a seventh inning role first. Marte pitched extremely well in the 2009 postseason. Still, the Yankees should just make sure that he's consistent enough over an extended period of time for the lead lefty role, because there's also Logan and Ring. Joba and Park are the two guys I see the Yankees using in the eighth inning to start the season.

Phil Hughes may be breaking camp as the Yankees' fifth starter, but the right-hander can't bid farewell to spring just yet.

With several off-days reducing the need for his services early in the year, the Yankees have decided that Hughes' first start will be on April 15 against the Angels in New York. Until then, he will be on the club's active roster and pitch in a pair of extended spring games in Tampa.

"It gives me time to work on some more things -- basically like two extra spring starts," Hughes said. "It'll be fine. I'm looking forward to the 15th. It's the first step of this year, and I'm looking forward to starting off well and keeping it going."

Hughes, 23, said that the decisions were what he expected and not a surprise. Hughes is slated to pitch his first extended spring game on Monday and then join the Yankees in Boston for the second and third games of the season.

Yankees.com

I still think Hughes has to prove that he can handle a starting role. But yes, over time, I'd like to see both Hughes and Joba in a rotation. The exception to that would be if they are apart of the plans to cover for when Rivera retires.

As for your setup of the bullpen, I think that Aceves is easily the best for long relief. He's capable of cruising through two or three innings of out of the 'pen. Robertson has potential to be an eighth inning reliever, but Girardi and Eiland probably want to see him get comfortable in a seventh inning role first. Marte pitched extremely well in the 2009 postseason. Still, the Yankees should just make sure that he's consistent enough over an extended period of time for the lead lefty role, because there's also Logan and Ring. Joba and Park are the two guys I see the Yankees using in the eighth inning to start the season.

Eh idk I understand Chan Ho Park has had an impressive spring but I don't see him keeping it up. Really him or Aceves are both equipped to go 2-3 innings. Royce Ring is a former Met, trust me pal thats a dead end road. As for Robertson vs Marte it is a toss up experience vs potential, should be interesting.

Eh idk I understand Chan Ho Park has had an impressive spring but I don't see him keeping it up. Really him or Aceves are both equipped to go 2-3 innings. Royce Ring is a former Met, trust me pal thats a dead end road. As for Robertson vs Marte it is a toss up experience vs potential, should be interesting.

I see. Well Chan Ho had an important role in Philly, so I just hope he fits in well in our setup and is effective.

Robertson was amazing last year, and he didn't have enough appearances to draw much attention, so he could be big for us this year. Marte has a lot up his sleeve, and I'm interested in seeing what Logan brings to the table as well.

Park is more than just an impressive spring. He was the Phillies best reliever last year by far once they put him in the bullpen and he was very good with the Dodgers the year before.

Park is more than just an impressive spring. He was the Phillies best reliever last year by far once they put him in the bullpen and he was very good with the Dodgers the year before.

Being the Phillies best reliever last year isn't saying much. Aside from one good year in LA he's been mediocre or even worse. Couple that with moving into the AL East in a minor league baseball field, I just don't see him being the set up man to Mariano.