New York Yankees 2010

Teletopez

Being the Phillies best reliever last year isn't saying much. Aside from one good year in LA he's been mediocre or even worse. Couple that with moving into the AL East in a minor league baseball field, I just don't see him being the set up man to Mariano.

Well, after they moved him to the bullpen he posted a 2-and-a-half ERA with almost 10 K/9. That's a solid line no matter who's bullpen you are pitching out of haha. Not to mention the fact that he's a great swing man and can be good in just about any role the team wants to use him in (except starting lol).

I think you are confusing Chan Ho Park the starter with Chan Ho Park the reliever. Ever since he became a full-time reliever with the Dodgers in 2008, he has had the best success of his career. Coincidence? After 2 full solid years I doubt it. Some guys are just better suited to pitch in relief than start.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think he absolutely could be an 8th inning guy. He isn't one of those crafty, fringe middle-relievers who relies more on luck than skill. He definitely isn't the power pitcher he used to be, but he still has a fastball that hits 95 regularly combined with a nasty cutter.

But I agree, I wouldn't put him in the 8th inning either. That would limit the other ways he is able to contribute.

Though it became something of a formality after Marcus Thames began producing this spring, Thames could not hide his excitement at officially making the Yankees' 25-man roster.

"It felt great," Thames said Saturday, after the news went public. "That was some weight lifted off my shoulders, because it's been beating me up a little bit."

Thames, whose Grapefruit League average sat at .094 on March 25, went 4-for-14 with two homers over the next four days, effectively sealing his roster spot as a power right-handed bat off the bench.

Yankees.com

With Alfredo Aceves and Damaso Marte both recovered from their injuries, the Yankees flew north on Saturday with a fully-stocked bullpen.

Which means there was simply no room for Boone Logan.

The Yankees optioned Logan to Triple-A Scranton/Wilkes-Barre on Saturday, finalizing their roster by cutting ties with a lefty who nearly forced his way onto the team.

In 10 1/3 Grapefruit League innings, Logan struck out eight batters, walked two and produced a 1.74 ERA. For a time, the Yankees toyed with the idea of carrying him as a second lefty in the bullpen. But the signing of Chan Ho Park left too many pitchers vying for too few bullpen spots. Logan became the odd man out.

Yankees.com

For who?

I'm not sure if you understood my post. I'm saying that even though I'm disappointed with Park's performance, you have to remember that Vizcaino and Farnsworth had some rough points in their time in pinstripes, but they both became key guys out of the bullpen. The same thing can happen to Chan Ho.

Love you Yankees fan. Always give me a laugh. 1 bad appearance and the guy is trash.

Some of us just saw him as a guy who had a good year in the NL last year and had previously been a mess... He's a disaster waiting to happen in the ALE, and definitely not a guy I want in the 8th inning. Ever.

I'm not sure if you understood my post. I'm saying that even though I'm disappointed with Park's performance, you have to remember that Vizcaino and Farnsworth had some rough points in their time in pinstripes, but they both became key guys out of the bullpen. The same thing can happen to Chan Ho.

Maybe you have a more long term and generous memory of those two, but I couldn't wait to get either of them out of town. 4.33 ERA from Luis in his one year in NY, and 4.36, 4.80, and 3.65 (thankfully he pulled this for half a year, so we could get something for him from Detroit) from Farnsworth in his three... I'm looking for better out of an 8th inning guy.

Maybe you have a more long term and generous memory of those two, but I couldn't wait to get either of them out of town. 4.33 ERA from Luis in his one year in NY, and 4.36, 4.80, and 3.65 (thankfully he pulled this for half a year, so we could get something for him from Detroit) from Farnsworth in his three... I'm looking for better out of an 8th inning guy.

Vizcaino had an ERA over 7 in June. When Rivera started working with him, that ERA started dropping, and it was well below 4 by the end of August. He had a rough September, but that's because Torre didn't do a great job with the relievers and a lot of arms were burned by September. And Torre's management also clearly had an effect on Farnsworth. Guys like him and Proctor didn't look so great all the time because of the odd spacing between their appearances. Girardi has done a great job with the bullpen, and he got Farnsworth to show his best in 2008. Chances are that would have continued if he wasn't traded. My point is that Chan Ho can have a turnaround as well. I know the NL East isn't the same as the AL East, but it's not like he was playing in AA. There is still pressure incorporated into pitching for Philly.

Edited by Waldo

Viz had 3 good months out of 6, and Farnsworth is nothing more than mediocre.

I'm not talking about Chan Ho not facing pressure in Philadelphia, more that he faced Washington and the Mets instead of Toronto and Baltimore... and that's talking lower depths of the division. If he works out, great... If not, I'm not surprised.

I think Phil Hughes spoiled me.

Seriously, give "The Ho" a chance. He has been a full time reliever for only the past 2 seasons, and I think he's done pretty damn well. Sure, it was in the NL, so who knows how that translates to the AL. But I wouldn't look at his numbers as a starter and panic. He had a renaissance when the Dodgers decided to make him a full-time reliever in 2008.

The fact that he has a positive history is enough for me to say that he may earn a major role on this team. It's not a guarantee, but it's worth having some faith in him. While we wait for him to get comfortable, we have guys like Joba and Robertson who can get the job done when we need them to.

He'll get a chance whether I like it or not. We just haven't had a great track record of bringing NL relievers fresh off a career year to pitch in our bullpen. I was skeptical coming in, he certainly hasn't changed my mind yet.

So much to love about this game.

-C.C. pitched 7 2/3 scoreless innings and goes 23 outs before allowing a hit in an April start.

-The defense was incredible. A-Rod, Teixeira, Cano, and C.C. put together several highlight reel-worthy plays.

-A-Rod got his 1,000th hit as a Yankee,

-Teixeira hit the ball well all four times. He got his first hit of the season on his second time up at bat. His next two AB's were base hits as well.

-Teixeira and A-Rod had back-to-back hits for the first time this year.

-The Yankees were 6-13 with RISP. Everyone got on base.

-Cervelli caught nine shutout innings in which just two hits were allowed.

After an MRI Friday afternoon revealed a low level strain of Chan Ho Park's right hamstring, the Yankees placed the right-handed reliever on the 15-day disabled list. They have brought up lefty Boone Logan from Triple-A Scranton to take his roster spot.

The Yankees don't think Park's injury is serious. Manager Joe Girardi, general manager Brian Cashman and the Yankees medical staff debated just resting Park over the weekend and then having him return next week when the Yankees travel to Oakland. Since it is April, the club decided to go with the most cautious approach.

"There was a possibility he would have pitched for us next week, but you run your bullpen short and the other thing you do is take the chance of hurting it even worse," Girardi said.

ESPN

Hopefully, Park's injury doesn't extend to something serious.

Aceves can't give 40-pitch outings now, with him and Park being the two long-distance relievers. Girardi said Logan will also pitch to right-handed hitters when he's up in the majors.

Edited by Waldo

• 2 weeks later...

It's been a while since we put up this good of a record in April. We won six of seven series, and a lot has been going our way. Hopefully, our bullpen becomes reliable, Vazquez gets back on track, and we don't get caught in health problems.

Girardi estimates Granderson will be out for a month. Melancon got called up.