NFL Offseason 2010

The Regime

It's probably better to just make one offseason thread instead of posting a new topic everytime. A couple big name free agents out there this season should make this offseason a fun one to follow.

A couple big name players were released today, Giants released Antonio Pierce and Dolphins released Joey Porter. I have a strong feeling that Karlos Dansby might end up with the Giants. I wanna see the Niners sign Porter, they lack a rusher.

Bengals sign Matt Jones to one-year contract

------------

Bengals signed WR Matt Jones to a one-year contract.

The Cincinnati Enquirer reports that the deal is worth roughly $700K. Jones, 27 in April, is a good upside signing with minimal risk at this price. While he isn't even a lock to make the team, the Bengals may have plucked their 2010 starting flanker off the February waiver wire. Laveranues Coles becomes a serious candidate for release. Andre Caldwell will likely remain in the slot, while Jones and Jerome Simpson battle for snaps outside. The move won't preclude Cincinnati from using another pick on a wideout, though. Feb. 12 - 12:29 pm et

---

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/Headlines.aspx?sport=NFL&hl=167590

Westbrook '100 percent sure' he won't retire

Brian Westbrook says he's "100 percent sure" he won't retire before this year's OTAs "unless something crazy happens."

"My goal is to get back out there and play football again," said Westbrook. "That's what I'm gonna train this offseason to do." Westbrook acknowledges that getting "younger and cheaper" is beneficial to the Eagles, and playing for another team is "part of the business." Due $7.25M, he'd have to take a major paycut to play for Philly. Unlike LaDainian Tomlinson and Clinton Portis, Westbrook can still be an offensive asset as he ages. The caveat is that there's perhaps no bigger health risk in the league.

LINK

I am sure all Eagle fans are happy to hear that.

id like to see the eagles try to get a veteran LB like pierce. bradley is coming off of a major knee injury, it could really take some pressure off of him if they had a veteran guy to come in for some plays. they tried to do that with trotter, but trotter is too old.

id also love to see julius peppers or someone similar in philly. we already have trent cole on one side, and if we could get a legit threat on the other side then it would make cole so much better (if thats possible)

Guest Nomar Fachix

Any team in the league would love Pierce, I guarantee it... he is extremely cerebral, he is a warrior, and he will help any team from a coaching standpoint as well. Y'all are lucky if he signs with you. He has immense knowledge on the defensive end... I wouldn't be surprised to see him coaching up a defense inside of five years from now.

That said, the Giants defense needs someone to make plays. Dansby would be tremendous, though I see Rolondo being nearly the same player in a few seasons as Dansby is now. Just don't like taking the chance that he falls to #15.

Guest Nomar Fachix

I think it's a great contract. Janikowski and Lechler are two of the best in the league and are great at what they do.

Janikowski was 15-18 from 40-61 yards... that is crazy good.

The contract they need to look at is Tommy Kelly's...

I think it's a great contract. Janikowski and Lechler are two of the best in the league and are great at what they do.

Janikowski was 15-18 from 40-61 yards... that is crazy good.

The contract they need to look at is Tommy Kelly's...

Yeah he is as accurate as anyone in the league from distance, but I still feel $4 million a year for a guy who kicks twice a game is way too much. Other teams around the league are going to be [expletive]ed when they have to present similar contracts.

Report: Chargers shopping Cromartie for RB

ESPN's Chris Mortensen reports the Chargers are "exploring possible trade scenarios" that involve trading CB Antonio Cromartie for a running back.

Despite being a four-year starter, Cromartie has fallen out of favor with the Bolts. GM A.J. Smith will have a hard time getting full value for him after his half-hearted attempt at tackling in the playoff loss to the Jets. There were persistent rumors of a Cromartie-for-Tashard Choice deal a week ago, but the Cowboys aren't interested. Mort mentions the Packers as a team looking for corner help, though they'd have to deal a draft pick instead of a player.

ESPN.com

Yeah he is as accurate as anyone in the league from distance, but I still feel $4 million a year for a guy who kicks twice a game is way too much. Other teams around the league are going to be [expletive]ed when they have to present similar contracts.

Yeah you say that and the difference in the superbowl was the Saints kicker hitting his field goals and Stover missing his. Tell a team like the Cowboys or Redskins that a kicker ain't worth 4 mil.

Guest Nomar Fachix

He is basically the only guy putting points on the board, and often times not from closer than 50 yards. His only misses this year were from 45, 57, 66.

When you have a kicker who was as good as he was last year and is the only person on the team capable of putting points on the board, you lock him up. Scoff at Tommy Kelly and Jamarcus Russell's contracts, but Sea Bass' was a good one.

Cowboys won't use franchise tag on Austin

Cowboys vice president Stephen Jones indicated that the team will not use the franchise tag on restricted free agent Miles Austin.

LINK

Source: Seymour will get franchise tag

Oakland invested a 2011 first-round pick to get defensive end Richard Seymour from New England, and it seems determined not to lose him.

ESPN.com

http://a.espncdn.com/i/headshots/nfl/players/65/5546.jpg

Patriots put franchise tag on Wilfork

FOXBOROUGH, Mass. -- The New England Patriots have put the franchise tag on Pro Bowl nose tackle Vince Wilfork.

The Patriots said Monday they made the move to continue negotiating a long-term agreement with the six-year veteran. They said that agreement has been their top contractual priority and Wilfork remains a significant part of their plans.

Wilfork has said he would not be happy if the team put the franchise tag on him.

Source

He ain't gonna be happy...

More rumors about a possible Asomugha to Jets trade. :o

ESPN - Raiders cornerback Nnamdi Asomugha started a lot of controversy when he suggested that he wanted to play alongside Darrelle Revis in New York earlier this offseason.

He later clarified that he was just joking, but the thought has lingered.

NFL Insider Adam Schefter is reporting that the Raiders are looking to swing a trade this offseason, and Asomugha is among those that the team is open to trading.

Real GM