Deron is upset with Jazz

Dash

Deron Williams said he had nothing good to say about the trade and that this is why he signed 3 year extension. Wow. Double wow.

Quote:

Deron said Ronnie was his little brother and that he thought Jazz would try to get better at the deadline not worse.

Deron Williams: "I think if we’d make a trade it would be something a little different than that... ...You look at all the teams that are getting better around the West and we essentially get worse, if you ask me.”

Since he was so frustrated, Deron was asked if the trade affected his long-term thinking about the Jazz. He didn't hesitate in answering: “That’s why I signed a three-year deal.”

Williams said the flight from New Orleans to Oakland yesterday was "probably one of the quietest flights we've had."

Wow, Deron was one of the last players I would expect this from. I can't exactly blame him for being that upset either.

Edited by Dash

• Owner

It reminds me of the Nash/Bell and Francis/Mobely situation.

Williams does have a point.

...except I believe Francis and Mobley were in a relationship together.

All jokes aside, though, this isn't good for Utah, especially when he's bringing up what sounds like the ONLY reason why he signed for three more years.

After the Raptors resign Bosh in the summer they are going to trade Jose Caleron and DeMar DeRozan for Deron Williams. :glasses:

Seriously though, I get that Williams is upset that one of his best friends on the team was traded but this is a business and stuff like this happens all of the time. Moves are made and sometimes those moves involve a close personal friend. I'm sure that his anger will wear off eventually.

However, if I was a Jazz fan this would be very worrisome. Hearing these kinds of comments from your star player would not be very enjoyable.

He does have a point though. This trade wasn't good for the Jazz despite what I posted in that other thread in the Grizzlies forum. They aren't as good of a team today as they were two days ago. I speculated that something must've been going on behind the scenes with Brewer that we were unaware of, but there always is the possibility that the Jazz owners were simply looking to cut salary with this move, which is pretty disapointing to see from a team that could have some success in the playoffs (not that I think they will). It sends a pretty bad message if you ask me.

Everything is purely speculative on my part, but the one thing that is for certain is that the Utah Jazz better do whatever it takes to appease Deron Williams because they can't afford to lose him.

I'm glad the Heat didn't trade Dorell and Quentin for the exact same reasons. Those two and Wade have a great relationship as teammates. Trading either of those two could be a small emotional step to make Wade think about leaving this summer.

Williams could leave the Jazz for similar reasons as well. If Boozer leaves this summer without the Jazz getting anything of equal or greater value in return, Williams might demand a trade.

Actually reports are that Deron doesn't really like Boozer all that much and tried to get the Jazz to trade him to Toronto last year but the Raptors laughed at the Jazz.

I also think Deron is speaking mostly out of emotion. He probably is fusterated because the ownership just said that they weren't going to make any more financial trades. But there is also a basketball side to this deal as well. The Jazz were not going to be able to re-sign Brewer and Wesley Mathews in the off-season. Mathews gives the Jazz more options than Brewer so at least the Jazz got a pick out of the whole thing.

Three years is a long time in the NBA, and by than the Jazz can restructure some of their financial issues and still be winning. My guess is this has no baring on his future in Utah.

Guest California Dreamin'

I understand Deron is upset, but he has to understand this is a business and the team is trying to save every dollar they can in this economy. The NBA is going to lose $400 million this year and possibly have a lockout next season... you can't blame the Jazz for trying to save money.

All players in the league have to find out the hard way that the NBA is a business. Another great example of this, is the trading of Travis Outlaw and Steve Blake, two of Brandon Roy's best friends, especially Travis Outlaw. Things like this hit players hard. They'll eventually learn that it's all part of the business.

It's not just that Brewer traded, its the fact that it was essentially a salary dump. If Brewer were traded for some random veteran, say Steve Blake, I don't think Williams is feeling totally upset. You can say it was a basketball-related move designed to try to make the team better. Since Brewer was traded for nobody who will help the team this year, the Jazz are a worse team.

The only way it becomes a good basketball decision to trade away a player for nobody is if that player is a problem or is clogging up playing time for other good players, something that isn't really the case in Utah as nobody in Utah's toolbox of wings is appreciably better than Brewer and needs more playing time.

It's not just that Brewer traded, its the fact that it was essentially a salary dump.

Right on target. They practically lost a starting 2-guard in exchange for money. No leader of any team is going to be happy about that. To a guy like Deron whose main objective is to win, losing someone like Ronnie Brewer in the middle of the season isn't something that will help the team.