Source: Odom, Lakers agree on deal (Pg. 14)

nah he can go to Miami still

True, I was just saying that there is a greater chance LO will re-sign with the Lakers since the Blazers were one of the teams that could sign LO, instead they signed Andre Miller.

• Replies 304
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And Sean, I'm not sure about the Celtics doing any damage. I'm sort of happy they brought in Rasheed. I'd rather play him than Perkins, who is playing better defense year by year. But the Spurs...yeah, I'm upset about their team. If Manu is healthy, we might be in trouble.

I think that the Celtics would be better off starting Perkins as well (although I doubt that they will) because ever since Garnett joined the team, Perkins has made tremendous strides in his defensive game and is one of the best post defenders in the league. The thing is though, adding Wallace just gives them more depth though. He is definitely not the player that he used to be and he has regressed quite a bit but he is still a better player than Mikki Moore, Leon Powe or Glen Davis. Whether or not they bring Perkins off of the bench or Sheed (I would bring Sheed off of the bench for an offensive punch), the C's have definitely gotten better with this move because it just gives them yet another good role player off of the bench and a guy, that when motivated and at his best, can significantly impact a game (although not as much as he used to be able to).

The biggest thing about the Celtics though is the fact that they will have Garnett back healthy (from what I have heard), and with Garnett in the lineup they are a very dangerous team. Without Garnett in the lineup the Celtics are a good team, but when they have Garnett in the lineup they are elite, and that is the reason why I think so highly of them (despite the fact that they are probably my least favourite team in the league along with the Knicks).

I just think that a Celtics team that has added Sheed and Daniels to the team as well as having Garnett back are a very dangerous team.

Edited by Built Ford Tough

Lamar Odom(notes) is leaning strongly toward accepting the Miami Heat’s contract offer and leaving the Los Angeles Lakers, multiple sources with knowledge of the talks said.

Odom has not reached a final decision, the sources said, but there is growing belief he will ultimately return to the Heat unless the Lakers improve their current offer.

“It’s close, but it’s not done,” said one source.

Lakers officials and Odom’s representatives resumed talking after a weeklong standoff that began when Jerry Buss, the team’s owner, withdrew a four-year, $36 million offer that guaranteed $30 million. Sources close to Odom said that while the two sides have since talked, Buss is now offering less than the Lakers’ previous proposal.

Odom could sign a five-year, $34 million with the Heat or take a four-year contract that would give him the option to become a free agent in three seasons and seek a more lucrative deal. He also would not have to pay state income tax in Florida.

Odom, who will turn 30 on Nov. 6, played for the Heat during the 2003-04 season – the only season in his 10-year career that he didn’t spend in Los Angeles – and has maintained a good relationship with Dwyane Wade(notes).

Odom’s departure would be a huge loss for the Lakers and an unexpected gift for the Western Conference’s other top contenders. He averaged 11.4 points and 8.2 rebounds last season, and played well during the Lakers’ run to the championship despite being bothered by back spasms. The Lakers replaced Trevor Ariza(notes) with Ron Artest(notes) this summer, but Odom’s length and versatility made him a difficult matchup off the bench for opposing teams.

Lamar Odom and Miami inching closer?

Yahoo!'s Adrian Wojnarowski is reporting that Lamar Odom could be close to signing the Miami Heat's long-standing full mid-level exception offer. While it's important to note that no decision has been made, those in AW's ear hint that a return to South Beach could very well be in the cards.

Odom has not reached a final decision, the sources said, but there is growing belief he will ultimately return to the Heat unless the Lakers improve their current offer. “It’s close, but it’s not done,” said one source.

Without question, that language feels like it was floated by members of "Team LO" as a means of applying some (pun intended) heat on Lamar's most recent employers. Not that Lamar can't possibly be mulling a return to South Beach, but the mere hint of an ultimatum does feel like a shot lobbed across the Lakers' bow. But it doesn't feel like a direct hit sinking the ship, so for the time being, I'm not abandoning ship when it comes to hopes of Lamar remaining a Laker.

Full Article: http://lakersblog.latimes.com/lakersblog/2009/07/lamar-odom-heat-lakers.html

^You will regret saying that. I certainly hope he's gone from LA. 19 pts and 14 rebds in Game 5 killed us.

As a third party observer, I think this is pure leverage move to get LA to increase its offer. But since Lakers have not treated him well too on their part, his bluff gets stronger and could be true, if he feels pissed and disrespected enough... he could very well sign with the Heat.

LO signing with Heat is a victory for all other West teams. ^____^

Lakers should have treated him better...

Edited by Snake

Wade Again Tries To Recruit Odom

Dwyane Wade, who has already made it known that he wants Lamar Odom back in Miami, is again lobbying for the free-agent to sign with the Heat.

On Saturday, Wade used his personal Twitter account to lobby for Odom's services.

"This is for Lamar Odom ... come back to where it started for both of us.. the franchise u help build back up wants u to End it all here," Wade wrote.

Reports out of Miami on Saturday claimed that Odom was leaning towards a deal with Heat.

With that said, Kobe Bryant has said publicly that he believes Odom will return to the Lakers.

http://www.realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/60806/20090726/wade_again_tries_to_recruit_odom/#

^You will regret saying that. I certainly hope he's gone from LA. 19 pts and 14 rebds in Game 5 killed us.

As a third party observer, I think this is pure leverage move to get LA to increase its offer. But since Lakers have not treated him well too on their part, his bluff gets stronger and could be true, if he feels pissed and disrespected enough... he could very well sign with the Heat.

LO signing with Heat is a victory for all other West teams. ^____^

Lakers should have treated him better...

I won't regret anything. Bynum will show up and Artest will play a lot.

I honestly don't really want Boozer. I think he's kinda overrated.

If we get Odom how does this affect next year's cap situation?

Career 17/10 isn't overrated IMO and Odom is about as god of a player as we can get next year for the MLE

Also,

Status Alert: Boozer said he and the Jazz have "mutually agreed" to a trade and that it would be "a beautiful thing" if he wound up in Miami, the Miami Herald reports. (Jul 21)

• Owner

The Lakers should've treated him better? They offered him a very nice contract. He's a bench player.

Hell, Ron Artest took the MLE to play for us, and Ron is twice the player Odom is on defense, and to be honest, twice the player he is on offense.

Yeah, we could use Lamar, but he's not going to be that big of a loss. I would be excited if we found a way to deal him to the Heat for Beasley (which is impossible), but I'd love Chalmers, or even Dorell Wright and Haslem. Whatever gives back to us is fine.

If we get nothing, and he bolts to Miami, so be it. Bynum will make up for his boards, and Shannon Brown will be more important off our bench.

PLEASE COME TO MIAMI!!!

Chalmers - Wade - Odom - Boozer - JO with Beasley off the bench

Do you really think that the Heat would be able to get Boozer from the Jazz without giving up Beasley? I just fail to see who the Jazz would want in exchange for Boozer if Beasley isn't involved. If Miami doesn't part with Beasley, they are not getting Boozer if you ask me.

Then again, I don't follow the Heat too much so you are obviously more qualified to talk about the Heat than I am, but I just don't see how the Heat could get Boozer without giving up B-Easy.

• Owner

Do you really think that the Heat would be able to get Boozer from the Jazz without giving up Beasley? I just fail to see who the Jazz would want in exchange for Boozer if Beasley isn't involved. If Miami doesn't part with Beasley, they are not getting Boozer if you ask me.

Then again, I don't follow the Heat too much so you are obviously more qualified to talk about the Heat than I am, but I just don't see how the Heat could get Boozer without giving up B-Easy.

That's possibly the main reason why they haven't racked in Boozer yet. Chicago is on their heels. Miami doesn't want to give up Beasley, and Chicago probably doesn't want to give up Deng (that's what I'm guessing), while the Jazz have been rumored to have told Boozer that he's already on the way out the door.

Losing Odom is a big deal. Bench can hardly score as it is, Sasha/Farmar/Mbenga/Brown/Luke, nobody on that lineup can put the ball in the basket. Heck it sounds crazy but I wouldnt mind bringing in AI off the bench, at least he can create offense for himself and others.

The Lakers should've treated him better? They offered him a very nice contract. He's a bench player.

Hell, Ron Artest took the MLE to play for us, and Ron is twice the player Odom is on defense, and to be honest, twice the player he is on offense.

Yeah, we could use Lamar, but he's not going to be that big of a loss. I would be excited if we found a way to deal him to the Heat for Beasley (which is impossible), but I'd love Chalmers, or even Dorell Wright and Haslem. Whatever gives back to us is fine.

If we get nothing, and he bolts to Miami, so be it. Bynum will make up for his boards, and Shannon Brown will be more important off our bench.

I don't know about that..

• Owner

I don't know about that..

If you've seen all the blown layups and weird shots he takes against other bench players, as a third or fourth option on our team, you'd agree with me.

Ron Artest is a bad primary option, a decent second option, and an excellent third or fourth option. After Kobe and Gasol, you'll have Bynum and Ron.

I'm not concerned with Artest's production on the offensive end. His shots will all be wide-open, just as Trevor Ariza's were, and that's why Ariza went from a poor shooting forward to a very good one, especially from beyond the arc with more attempts (was it around 150) in one season than he had the rest of his career with the Knicks and Magic.

When I left town on Wednesday I had a strong feeling the Odom situation would be resolved by the time I got back Saturday afternoon. Just a feeling.

Much like the first few rounds of the Lakers playoff run, I no longer will be having any hunches, predictions or feelings about the L.O. situation until it's finally settled.

Mostly this process has been like listening to an endless loop of ``nature sounds and crickets'' on one of those noise machines that help you sleep, interrupted by flurries of activity at unpredictable moments.

Saturday's main developments included a pitch from Miami frontman Dwyane Wade via his Twitter feed which (unlike the bogus Kobe Bryant twitters that have caused some buzz this week, is actually a verified account): ``This is for Lamar Odom...come back to where it started for the both of us..the franchise u help build back up wants u to End it all here.''

That preceded by a couple of hours a report from Yahoo's Adrian Wojnarowski that Odom was ``leaning strongly toward accepting'' the Heat's five-year, $34 million offer and leaving the Lakers.

Ira Winderman of the Sun-Sentinel (Fla.) has a nice breakdown of the situation from a South Florida perspective, but doesn't go out on as long of a limb as Woj.

At this stage in the search though, everyone would be better off hiring `The Mentalist' or bringing Gil Grissom out of retirement to figure out how this is all going to turn out. Theories and facts change from day to day.

Will Dwyane Wade's pleas work?

Does Odom just want to feel wanted?

Does the fact that Heat president Pat Riley was heading for Los Angeles mean anything? Or was Riley just heading home?

Odom mentioned during the Finals that he likes humidity... does that mean he likes South Florida better than L.A.?

As you can tell, this whole saga has been dragged out so long even us sportswriters are at a loss for words.

Edited by magicbalala245