Source: Odom, Lakers agree on deal (Pg. 14)

You can't quantify players' production and contribution to a team based on their individual stats/ success. Just because one player is better statistically to the other doesn't mean he is a better fit in a certain system. I thought triangle offense does not need a player who scores when it already has high volume scorers in Kobe and Pau?

Odom's versatility on the offensive end was really what made the Lakers unpredictable and hard to defend imo. His willingness to come off the bench and his inconsistency in reverse also makes them hard to predict. When he plays well, they're almost impossible to beat. Thing is you don't know when he's going to show up lol, so you can't plan against it. And most importantly is, I thought Lakers have gotten used to his inconsistency, and they're flourishing with that.

Lol you can't say Bynum showing up or Artest beasting is going to replace Odom's contribution. His versatility, his ball handling, his passing, his size and sometimes his hot shooting were what made the Lakers from 3D to 4D. Your current Lakers with Odom would certainly be better than without.

---

Why I said they should have treated him better is the attitude, "here take $9 mil or leave it because you are not a $10 mil player. Take it or you can leave. We know you're not getting more or close to it elsewhere." The level of respect is not there... Even they're right and I agree they're right, there're always ways you can negotiate with players without showing disrespect. They should have done their homework... what kind of person Odom is... is he the type that will say "I'll prove to y'all I don't need to sign with you... I'll sign much less elsewhere to show I don't need to sign with you [expletive]es". Heck, they should know Odom still owns a house in Miami.

Unless it's obvious there's no other taker (e.g. Cavs with Pavlovic), you don't play hardball to your own free agents. It only backfires... To players like Odom who have cashed in before, money sometimes is not the most important thing (depends on players though), but it makes their decision much easier when one team says "take the check, employee" and another says "come to us, we need you, help us win".

• Replies 304
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's a no brainer Lamar leaving the Lakers will hurt the team.

Fortunately for us, we have guys that can, or hopefully can replace his production. Ron Artest is an enigma, but if he gets his head straight (ROFL) he provides us with more than LO or Trevor can ever hope to. If Bynum steps ups and maximizes his potential along with staying healthy for once, we'll be an even better team than we were last year.

Those are big if's, obviously. But hey, people doubt us all the time, hopefully this'll be another one of those instances where we prove them wrong. Either way though, losing LO will definitely hurt the team. I still think we're the best in the west (SAS is our only challange), but looking at how much BOS/CLE/ORL have improved, we're gonna have a very tough time beating them in a 7 game series.

Hopefully LO returns but if he leaves I won't cry over it since I saw this coming weeks ago. It's now up to Mitch to trade for talent with our expirings (AMMO, Farmar).

• Owner

lol did we just trade Melo or something?

We'll still be up there... :)

That's usually not the tune you're singing when you guys are playing us. Melo has had a couple of good games in the last 10 playoff games against us.

And by the way, Odom shot a hair under 43% against the Nuggets in the WCF. For a power forward that was supposed to play closer to the rim against a Denver team that really couldn't match his versatility, he completely blew it for us. One or two good games isn't going to sway my opinion on him.

I want Odom back, yeah, but I'd welcome a sign-and-trade, and he's not worth $10 million a year.

Wade should realize even with Odom, there team won't do any damage to any of to the top East teams.

Ok lets see. Wade is on Kobe's level, like it or not. Kobe and Odom did damage with Gasol down low, we are also going for Boozer who will be our low post guy. So in a way Wade, Odom, and Boozer is kind of like Kobe, Odom, and Gasol. If I recall the Lakers run the Cavs and they destroyed the Magic, so we can compete with the top teams in the East if we get that trio together. Flame me.

Ok lets see. Wade is on Kobe's level, like it or not. Kobe and Odom did damage with Gasol down low, we are also going for Boozer who will be our low post guy. So in a way Wade, Odom, and Boozer is kind of like Kobe, Odom, and Gasol. If I recall the Lakers run the Cavs and they destroyed the Magic, so we can compete with the top teams in the East if we get that trio together. Flame me.

First off..Kobe and Gasol are clearly better than Wade and Boozer. Second off, Miami won't get both Boozer and Odom.

Lmao, you guys don't read up on Heat news....we have been discussing this over on the team page for weeks now, where have you been? The plan is to sign Odom for 5 years 34 mil or w.e. and then we will trade for Boozer without giving up Beasley, hopefully.

Edited by El Niño

Lmao, you guys don't read up on Heat news....we have been discussing this over on the team page for weeks now, where have you been? The plan is to sign Odom for 5 years 34 mil or w.e. and then we will trade for Boozer without giving up Beasley, hopefully.

Utah is not dumb enough to trade Boozer without getting Beasley, there not going to want Haslem and Cook.

The wait could be over by Tuesday

John Ireland reportedly said on ESPN 710 radio this morning that Lamar Odom would sign with the Lakers sometime in the next couple of days. Ditto the info coming from the Miami Herald, which echoes the time frame I got from the conversations I had over the weekend.

The wait could be over soon.

http://lakers.freedomblogging.com/2009/07/27/the-wait-could-be-over-by-tuesday/20987/

Although it's unclear how much impact Wade's ongoing recruiting efforts will have on his former teammate -- or if Heat president Pat Riley, who's also in L.A. this week, will be meeting face-to-face with Odom -- one source with knowledge of the talks told ESPN.com that a resolution to the monthlong Odom saga is likely "in the next few days."

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=4359259

Edited by The Goods