NHL Offseason 2010

fly3rs18

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Henrik Talinder signs with New Jersey for 4 yrs/13.5M.

He obviously isn't going to be able to replace what Paul Martin would've given the Devils this year as Martin is the more talented player, and they are different kinds of players. The Devils needed to find a replacement on defense though.

Kurtis Foster signs with Edmonton for 2 yrs/$3.6M as well.

He will be a serviceable replacement on the powerplay if they move Souray. He is a nice powerplay guy. Doesn't give much else, but he has a hell of a shot. Might be a bit of an overpayment, but Edmonton needs to fill out its roster. The market dictates the price though.

He is also a great story coming back from a broken femur.

Dan Hamhuis to the Vancouver Canucks. Not sure of the salary numbers as of yet, but I would expect something along the lines of 6 yrs/$30M.

I think this is the end of Willie Mitchell in Vancouver, which was expected, but also Kevin Bieksa as well. I can defintiely see him being traded before the start of the season to a team that misses out on all of these big defenseman free agents.

Vancouver needed to improve their defense and by signing Hamhuis and trading for Ballard is going to greatly improve their defense.

EDIT: Apperantly his contract is $4.5M but they haven't announced how long it is for yet. It looks like he took a hometown discount to come to Vancouver as he is from Smithers I think.

Edited by Built Ford Tough

Happy the Flyers passed on Hamhuis after seeing that contract. Also, everyone seems to think that he had it in his head that he'd be a Canuck from the start.

Sounds like Anton Volchenkov is going to the Devils for 6 years as well.

Edited by Phightins

Chris Mason to the Thrashers.

That leaves Evgeni Nabokov and Marty Turco, and the Flyers as seemingly the only team potentially needing a starter-caliber goalie. Should be interesting.

It will be interesting to see what happens with Ondrej Pavelec now.

Speaking of the Thrashers, sounds like they are about to trade for Andrew Ladd.

Edited by Phightins

Leafs re-sign Kulemin to a 2 yr/$4.7M ($2.35 per year) contract.

I like it. Kulemin is a nice two way player who has a some offensive potential. I believe his agent was looking for $3M per so to be able to get him at $2.35M is a very nice deal for Toronto. Their forward group is coming along now with the trade for Versteeg, the signing of Armstrong and now the Kulemin extension. It is hardly anything special, but it is starting to look like an actual NHL lineup, which is more than you can say for their group of forwards last year, haha.

Wow, just noticed Eklund has his phone number listed on his Twitter. I seriously think people prank call him and pretend to be NHL execs, and that is how he gets all of his "rumors". He was wrong on literally everything yesterday. Now he is saying that a big trade is coming for the Flyers, so lets see if his wrong-streak continues.

This is not in response to the troll, but on a serious note about the Blackhawks...they have lost a ton of their physical presence. Byfuglien, Eager, and Ladd specifically. Their depth was the main advantage they had over the Flyers in the Finals, and now basically all of their depth is gone.

And also, this goes without saying, but the Canucks look damn good.

This is not in response to the troll, but on a serious note about the Blackhawks...they have lost a ton of their physical presence. Byfuglien, Eager, and Ladd specifically. Their depth was the main advantage they had over the Flyers in the Finals, and now basically all of their depth is gone.

And also, this goes without saying, but the Canucks look damn good.

They had to drop the salaries, especially since Eager is barely an NHL player lol. They really shot themselves in the foot with Hossa's 12 year contract at age 30, too. Byfuglien will soon be forgotten with Kyle Beach coming up who is actually better than Byfuglien was at this point in his career. They just traded Ladd too, another money saving move.

They had to drop the salaries, especially since Eager is barely an NHL player lol. They really shot themselves in the foot with Hossa's 12 year contract at age 30, too. Byfuglien will soon be forgotten with Kyle Beach coming up who is actually better than Byfuglien was at this point in his career. They just traded Ladd too, another money saving move.

Everyone knows why they did it, lol. Doesn't change the fact that most of their depth and physical presence from last season is gone.

It's not as if the players they loss aren't replaceable though, quite the opposite actually.

Looking 2-3 years down the line, they are definitely replaceable. But as far as this upcoming season, to expect the new guys to stop in and provide the same production they got from Byfuglien, Ladd, and Versteeg in particular is not very realistic. But you are right that Eager and Burish are plugs and can easily be replaced by AHL guys.

Also, lets not forget that there's a chance they can still lose Kopecky and Niemi.

Looking 2-3 years down the line, they are definitely replaceable. But as far as this upcoming season, to expect the new guys to stop in and provide the same production they got from Byfuglien, Ladd, and Versteeg in particular is not very realistic. But you are right that Eager and Burish are plugs and can easily be replaced by AHL guys.

Also, lets not forget that there's a chance they can still lose Kopecky and Niemi.

I'm almost positive Niemi will be back, not sure about Kopechky though.

Kyle Beach should easily outproduce both Byfuglien and Versteeg who both were mediocre in the regular season. He also makes half as much as either of them. Not only is he a good goal scorer (52 G's in 68 games in the WHL) he is an enforcer which definitely something the Hawks lost in Ladd.

How do you go from not being able (or caring) how to spell Byfuglien (or knowing how to spell Toews), to providing in depth scouting reports? Something is fishy here...

And Niemi is a RFA. I could easily see the Hawks getting screwed there, if someone signs him to a big enough offer sheet.

How do you go from not being able (or caring) how to spell Byfuglien (or knowing how to spell Toews), to providing in depth scouting reports? Something is fishy here...

And Niemi is a RFA. I could easily see the Hawks getting screwed there, if someone signs him to a big enough offer sheet.

either way, i'm not exactly anti-Huet especially with the contract they're paying him...

Kovalchuk back to Devils. 7 years $60 million. Still not confirmed but that is the word.

So much for that $100 million, eh Ilya?

Edited by Phightins