MLB Trade Deadline Discussion

Phightins

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow, Jake Westbrook to the Cardinals and Ryan Ludwick to the Padres (a couple small prospects from San Diego involved in the trade as well - one going to Cleveland and one going to St. Louis).

Did not expect Ludwick to be traded, I guess they are totally confident in Jon Jay.

Edited by Phightins

Ted Lilly and Ryan Theriot for Blake DeWitt and prospects (Brett Wallach and Kyle Smit). I am not sure I understand why Theriot and DeWitt are involved. I'd understand if the Cubs wanted to get rid of Theriot because they have too many middle infielders, but they are taking one back from the Dodgers as well. Interesting.

Also, wonder if all this Manny talk is legit or BS.

Don't get the trade with the Royals. Ankiel is not really an improvement over any of the Braves outfielders and Farnsworth just sucks (although I guess he's been OK this year). Seems like a lateral move.

Edited by Phightins

Don't get the trade with the Royals. Ankiel is not really an improvement over any of the Braves outfielders and Farnsworth just sucks (although I guess he's been OK this year). Seems like a lateral move.

We replace Nate/Blanco with Ankiel, which is GOOD. Although, I really liked Blanco. :(

Farnsworth > Chavez so I'm happy.

Dodgers also got Octavio Dotel. They're going to make a run at the Padres. Hopefully all this trades are enough.

I'm not going to lie. I'm not please with these trades. The Dodgers just got a lot older. They've managed to trade:

James McDonald, Blake DeWitt, Andrew Lambo, Lucas May, Kyle Smit, Elisaul Pimentel, and Brett Wallach.

for

Ted Lilly, Ryan Theriot, Scott Podsednik, and Octavio Dotel. Basically, a decent but not vital starter, a lousy middle infielder, a mediocre outfielder, and a decent veteran reliever, and all over 30.

Edited by Brand New

I'm surprised we didn't seek out a left handed power bat. I thought for sure we were going to flip Jackson. People have been saying we don't really need it, considering how great our offense has been playing. But I think we'll need one come playoff time. But I'm also happy we hung on to Jackson. He's a good pitcher and will fill the gap left by the Peavy injury.