Philadelphia Phillies 2009!!

fly3rs18

Rodrigo Lopez will start on Friday night. Most Phillies fans probably had their hearts set on Carrasco, Carpenter, or Drabek, but honestly I think this is the right call. Carrasco clearly isn't ready mentally, and Drabek probably isn't ready physically, so I don't think the Phillies wanted to give one of them the call and spoil them, and get their service clocks started at the same time. Lopez has a lot of big league experience and has been lights out in AAA the past few weeks. Only downside is once he is up, he has to stick on the roster. We can't send him back to AAA or we risk losing him on waivers.

Jack Taschner was designated for assignment to make room for Lopez on the 25 man roster. Congrats to Sergio Escalona, it looks like he will stick on the roster for more than just 3 or 4 days this time. This is his fourth (or maybe fifth) stint with the MLB club this year, and each time he has been with the team for a grand total of 3 or 4 days, gotten into 1 game (if that), and then sent right down to AAA.

The Ibanez injury has kind of been a blessing in disguise. Greg Dobbs has gotten some much needed ABs and his swing looks better by the day. It's nice that everyone who had been struggling is getting their [expletive] in line at the same time (Rollins, Lidge, Dobbs, Madson, hopefully tonight gets Hamels in line as well).

Just hope they save some runs for the rest of this series.

So, rumor has it that the Phillies are the early favorites in the Roy Halladay sweepstakes. I do not want to get my hopes up since I do have a feeling that in the end Toronto will hold onto him, but if you think about it, the Phillies do make a lot of sense. In the past two years, our farm system has grown immensely, and I really don't think Amaro would hold anything back if it meant getting Roy Halladay. Any trade would probably have to start with either Michael Taylor/Dominic Brown and Kyle Drabek, and build from there. Lou Marson or Jason Donald would probably have to be involved as well, and probably some guys with high ceilings who are a little farther away (maybe Yohan Flande or someone like that). Also, Toronto may not want to deal Halladay within their division, which could also help our cause.

Probably just dreaming here, but the thought of a rotation headed by Roy Halladay and Cole Hamels is pretty awesome.

Edited by Phightins09

J Dub is an all star!!!

The last team to have all three outfielders make the all star team was the '95 Indians with Kenny Lofton, Albert Belle, and Manny Ramirez.

Chris Coste was placed on waivers and claimed by the Houston Astros today to make room for Raul Ibanez's return from the DL.

I am really sad to see him go. He is an awesome story and was a key piece to this team for the past 3 years. It is time though, since he has struggled this year, and Paul Bako is a far superior receiver. I hope he does really well in Houston.

Edited by Phightins09