Philadelphia Phillies 2009!!

fly3rs18

Amaro confirmed today that Happ is staying in the rotation. I think they will alternate Pedro and Moyer in that 5th slot for the time being and see who steps up and earns it. But then again, by the time that is decided, it will be September which means expanded rosters and hopefully the team closing in on clinching a playoff spot, so it won't really be an issue by that point anyway. And once the playoffs (knock on wood) roll around and we go with a 4 man rotation, it is an easy call...Pedro to the bullpen and Moyer off the roster.

But you can never have too much pitching depth....injuries and other things are very unpredictable.

Edited by Phightins09

I am not going to make excuses for the struggling offense and their inability to hit with runners in scoring position lately, but man, Paul Nauert might have the most inconsistent strike zone I have seen all year. This is also not trying to take anything away from Ricky Nolasco who was flat out dealing tonight. What really bothered me was Ben Francisco's at-bat in the ninth. Leo Nunez threw him two pitches that were borderline at best, and that had been called both balls and strikes at different points of the game. They were both low and if they got any part of the plate, they got the corner by a hair. Needless to say, they were more than questionable pitches, so Francisco turned around and said that to Nauert. Nauert started screaming at Francisco, which IMO was totally uncalled for. If you have a [expletive]ty strike zone all night and you call two questionable pitches strikes, you need to expect to hear something from the batter. So, given the fact that there was no clear strike zone and that Nauert was obviously pissed off now as well, Francisco was pretty much forced to swing at anything close to the plate, which he did to get himself out.

Now, not helping matters were that Greg Dobbs and Matt Stairs both swung at the first pitches of their respective at-bats to end the game. That was just disappointing.

Anywho, now that I have that off my chest, I feel a lot better! :D

Edited by Phightins09

Seriously, what the [expletive] is with the horrible umpiring all over baseball this weekend? I think Ed Rapuano takes the cake though...I can't even describe what just happened. Watch SportsCenter.

Seriously Joe West and his crew should not be allowed to step foot in a Major League stadium ever again. How the [expletive] has he been around so long? The umpiring has been pathetic all series, and today is just a joke. Also I have never seen an entire stadium give an umpire as much hell as they are giving Ed Rapuano right now, even in a city like Philadelphia that is always tough on umpires and referees. He deserves every bit of it though. Worst part is Shane Victorino will probably be suspended and Ed Rapuano will not even get a slap on the wrist. This crew is a disgrace.

And as I type this the Marlins have blown this game open.....[expletive] this.

Also, looks like Pedro will be getting a start in Chicago this week. The team has not announced a pitching rotation going forward, but sadly I think today may have been the last we will see of Jamie Moyer in a Phillies uniform.

Whats wrong with the Phils? They had a chance to put this division to bed now they are letting Florida and Atlanta stay in it. Hamels has to get his [expletive] together.

They are not hitting with runners in scoring position....starts and ends with that. The offense is in a lull which will happen in a 162 game season, but they just picked a bad series to go cold in.

They are not hitting with runners in scoring position....starts and ends with that. The offense is in a lull which will happen in a 162 game season, but they just picked a bad series to go cold in.

Honestly I don't know who I want the Mets to play spoiler for.

I'm tired of you Phillies fans so I would love for the Mets to beat up on you.

I hate Atlanta just because unlike the any other team Ive hated the Braves my whole life.

Florida killed our season two years straight it'd be awesome to return the favor.

I guess I want Atlanta to win lol. However we suck we shouldn't be a problem for anyone with our current roster.

yeah, im not worrying at all. every team has they slumps. everyone knows how this team can perform and they will get back.

Lots of news coming in...

Pedro Martinez will join the starting rotation and will make his debut on Wednesday. The team will make a roster move Wednesday morning to make room for him (my guess is Kyle Kendrick). The addition of Pedro to the rotation means that Jamie Moyer has been bumped and will now pitch out of the bullpen, which is a major surprise to me. Although, now that I think about it, if they use him properly he could be very effective. My initial thoughts were "a guy with an 81 mph fastball is not going to survive in the bullpen", but there are certain hitters that Jamie absolutely owns and if Charlie picks his matchups right, this could work. Guys who are impatient and free swingers usually have tons of trouble against him, which is why he has dominated the Marlins for so long I guess, however recently they have been doing a bit better against him. But still, for a guy who is 46 and has never pitched out of the bullpen before, I have my questions as to if this will work. Also, Chad Durbin has been activated from the DL and Rodrigo Lopez has been optioned down to AAA (I thought he had to clear waivers first, but apparently not).

Pitching matchups in Chicago:

Tomorrow: JA Happ vs. Rich Harden

Wednesday: Pedro Martinez vs. Jeff Samardzija

Thursday: Cliff Lee vs. Ryan Dempster

Also kind of surprising to me that they are waiting until Thursday to pitch Lee. He will be on 6 days rest.

Also, Jayson Werth, Shane Victorino, Scott Eyre, and Pedro Feliz attended UFC 101 at the Wachovia Center on Saturday night following their game against the Marlins. Tons of Philly athletes were there (I know a bunch of Flyers, like Riley Cote, Jeff Carter, and Chris Pronger were). Anyway, here is a pic of Jayson checking out a big fight in the stands.

http://www.thefightins.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/08/JaysonWerthUFC101.jpg

Also apparently after the fight they were out partying until 6 am. Of course Phillies fans are now wondering if that's why Werth got the day off yesterday afternoon, and if it's any coincidence he looked hung over and played like absolute [expletive] when they put him in the game.

I know Rich Harden is a very good pitcher, but the Phillies always find a way to make him look like Cy Young. The Phillies have not had a baserunner through 5 innings, and Harden only has 50-ish pitches. I cannot even remember one Phillies at-bat that I could classify as a "good AB".

Luckily we still have 4 innings to get something going, and Happ is starting to settle down after a shaky start.

Pedro consistently got his fastball up to 92-93 (with tons of movement), and his changeup is still nasty. He tried mixing in all of his pitches, and nothing really looked too bad. He got into trouble in the 5th and because of that high pitch count he is now finished. Would have been nice to see him go deeper since the bullpen is kind of thin right now, but I didn't expect more than 5 for his first start.

Also, I like how that jackass Cubs fan threw the beer on Shane and they arrested the wrong guy haha. If that would have happened in Philly, ECN would have started another thread about how terrible Philadelphia fans are and the media would have been all over us, but it is in Chicago so it will just get blown over as "an isolated incident".