Losing two in a row "like the World Trade Center coming down again"

Real Deal

You can interpret this in multiple ways: 4) Decide it's offensive, get your "feelings hurt", and take action based on emotion instead of rational thought.

God really doesn't have anything to do with the conversation. The world doesn't work that way because you'll end up getting your [expletive] beat, eventually.

When you're being raised, it's your parents' job to teach you right and wrong, good and bad. Morals. Can I go tell the neighbor how I feel about her staring at me? Sure I can...but it will lead to more trouble, and it also depends on the way I go about it.

To drive my foot into the Earth a bit further, I can go to a cancer center and tell one of the young patients how I think they really look without hair and any weight on them. Then I can expect to get hit in the face by a parent in the process because it would make me out to be a pathetic loser who doesn't know when to shut his mouth

These are examples of reacting through emotion instead of rational thought. Though it is your fault for intruding and attempting to cause a reaction from them, it is their fault for harming you physically, and they have no right to do so over an opinion.

Anyone can say or do anything. That doesn't mean it's okay. Even Wade himself knew he screwed up and he apologized, directing it as a misquote, but that's irrelevant because we're discussing what was said in the quote to begin with.

Saying and doing are two different things. What's worse: Expressing my opinion that I think your face is ugly, causing you to find out that I don't think highly about you facial features. Or punching you in the face and causing a broken nose?

Out of respect to those who died, or those who lost loved ones in the tragedy, you do not compare such a horrific and damaging event to a basketball loss. You don't even put those two in a sentence that relates them in any way, shape or form. Maybe someone lost their grandmother yesterday...and I say, "Yeah, I lost my pet cricket not too long ago, so I'm sure it was devastating." Just a stupid thing to say.

If someone believes that a human death and a cricket death are equally devastating, then so be it. That's his opinion. There is nothing wrong in him expressing his opinion, and there's nothing you should have to do about it other than disagree.

Edited by Poe

• Owner

Unfortunately, you can't control the actions of others, so you telling all of us that they should digest what you say and just deal with it...it's pretty worthless. You probably thought the same about Wade's comment, but that was obviously something you were wrong about as well.

This isn't The Sims. A poster doesn't like how 3-4 members personally attack everyone here, so they consider leaving. Why not just accept that they all have opinions about others, and move on? Well, because it's wrong for them to act that way. And something like that doesn't even get close to comparing a death to a basketball loss...which is why Wade bounced back with his apology.

I didn't go punch Wade in the face for what he said. Looking at this rationally, like you want us to, I see an incorrect comparison. Adding morals (good and bad, right and wrong), I see an ignorant and incorrect comparison. Adding emotion, I see an ignorant, incorrect and offensive comparison.

Either way, Wade was wrong for what he said. He knew it, he apologized for it. Notice that he wanted to clarify his statement. Why? Because he knows, like most of us do, that if we all believed he took a basketball loss and made a direct comparison to many deaths, it would be a problem.

I don't see where anyone could dodge that.

Unfortunately, you can't control the actions of others, so you telling all of us that they should digest what you say and just deal with it...it's pretty worthless. You probably thought the same about Wade's comment, but that was obviously something you were wrong about as well.

Actually, it's the other way around lol. You can't control people's opinions, and you shouldn't be able to stop people from expressing them.

This isn't The Sims. A poster doesn't like how 3-4 members personally attack everyone here, so they consider leaving. Why not just accept that they all have opinions about others, and move on? Well, because it's wrong for them to act that way. And something like that doesn't even get close to comparing a death to a basketball loss...which is why Wade bounced back with his apology.

Thanks a lot for bringing that up. :rolleyes: People offending others wasn't the main problem I was addressing anyway. It was the lack of intelligent discussion.

BTW, in case you didn't notice the first time, I did move on.

And Wade "bounced back with his analogy" because he was protecting his image. Perhaps he had second thoughts, but had it been a different incorrect comparison to something less "offensive" in the eyes of the public, nobody would have taken note of it, and he wouldn't have had to take it back.

I didn't go punch Wade in the face for what he said. Looking at this rationally, like you want us to, I see an incorrect comparison. Adding morals (good and bad, right and wrong), I see an ignorant and incorrect comparison. Adding emotion, I see an ignorant, incorrect and offensive comparison.

What I'm saying is that there is no need to add the morals. Look at it purely from an objective standpoint. It was an incorrect comparison, and that's it.

9/11 was an extremely tragic event. I am not denying that. It doesn't mean any comparison to it has to be overblown.

Come to think of it, terrorism and wars are a bigger example of people taking action against opinions. Muslim extremists disagree with western opinions, and take offense to our lifestyle. Therefor they crash planes into the WTC.

Do you understand where I'm coming from? I am not making a bigger deal out of this than it should be. Wade's comment and the reaction to it is something in our every day life that needs to end.

Edited by Poe

• Owner
Come to think of it, terrorism and wars are a bigger example of people taking action against opinions.

That's why you have to watch what you say, simple as that. I'm done with the topic if your own words can't hit home.

That's why you have to watch what you say, simple as that. I'm done with the topic if your own words can't hit home.

You completely missed the point. It's why you tolerate what people say, not react irrationally to them. Terrorism and war is an example of the reaction by choice.

BTW, the Muslim extremists attacked because they took offense to our lifestyle. They believe it's evil. Should we change our lifestyle because of it? Or should the Muslims realize they can't change the world, and tolerate it instead?

Edited by Poe

Actually, it's the other way around lol. You can't control people's opinions, and you shouldn't be able to stop people from expressing them.

Again, though, who is stopping Wade from expressing his opinion? Reacting to what he said negatively doesn't mean people are trampling on his right to free speach. But to expect everyone to be ok with it because it's his opinion is not the way the world works.

And yes, he released an apology to protect his image; the image of a role model that were try to have our children emulate. If there wasn't something morally wrong with what he said, he wouldn't have made an apology.

Again, though, who is stopping Wade from expressing his opinion? Reacting to what he said negatively doesn't mean people are trampling on his right to free speach. But to expect everyone to be ok with it because it's his opinion is not the way the world works.

And yes, he released an apology to protect his image; the image of a role model that were try to have our children emulate. If there wasn't something morally wrong with what he said, he wouldn't have made an apology.

Wade made a simple comparison trying to show an example of an event that people made a big deal out of. His choice happened to not be a good one, and related it to a tragic day. People decided it was offensive and blew it out of proportion. Wade apologized before it went too far, mainly to protect his image and his brand. Perhaps he did it to set an example as well, who knows, but that's really not part of my argument. Wade isn't obligated to set any examples unless he chooses so, anyway.

Had it been me, I wouldn't have apologized. I would have changed the comparison to a better suited one, but there is no need to apologize. It's the public's fault for reacting to it.

Edited by Poe

It's the public's fault for reacting to it.

No, it's Wade's fault for saying something so controversial that would obviously cause a negative public reaction. That is the fundemental part of this arguement that you're simply not getting/refuse to acknowledge.

No, it's Wade's fault for saying something so controversial that would obviously cause a negative public reaction. That is the fundemental part of this arguement that you're simply not getting/refuse to acknowledge.

If that was Wade's opinion, and he wished to share it, there's no reason to create so much controversy over it. It's an opinion.

The reason it would create controversy is because it is a popular belief that words hurt. They don't. They can't. Only you can decide to be hurt by words.

I think I've said what I needed to say. I've spent most of my time repeating the same points I countered before. I'm growing tired of this topic.

Maybe this will be continued next time a mere quote causes so much controversy.

It's over and done with but I don't Poe quite understands just how terrible a quote it was. It sad that he took such a deep rooted stance on this because admitting he's wrong would make him look like a fool to everyone.

I live in NY, I've seen the horror of 9/11 and the people it effect. No I didn't lose anyone but I know a lot of people who did lose loved ones. People close to me too, and I see what that did to them. THE HEAT LOSING BASKETBALL GAMES WILL NEVER EVER AFFECT THEM LIKE THAT, EVER. It was a disgusting quote, and I'm sure it was just something he thought wasn't that big of a deal, just like all you fellas from Miami seem to feel. If you lived in NY when 9/11 happened and/or you weren't a Wade-hopper you'd see exactly what was so terrible about that comment. I don't care what message he was trying to relay, you just don't compare losing basketball games to one of Americas worst tragedies that only happened less than 9 years ago.

He could have said "If we lose 2 or 3 games in a row the media is going to make it out to be the end of the world." How [expletive]ed up does this sound? "If we lose 2 or 3 games in a row the media is going to make it sound like Hitler is rounding up the jews again."

You simply don't do it, never. He apologized it's in the past but if any athlete does it, even David Wright himself, he deserves criticism it's a disgusting comment that has no place in sports.

BTW - lol @ the guy who said Lakers fans the ones who are using this to attack heat

EVERY SINGLE PERSON WHO REPLIED TO THIS AND IS NOT A HEAT FAN AGREED, IT'S NOT HATE, IT'S TRUTH.