Should the Cavs retire #23 for LeBron?

17 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Yes they must do it. Even though what LeBron has done to that city recently he still did put Cleveland on the map and I think if I'm right he took them to their only Finals appearance's and just faced a better and more experienced team in the San Antonio Spurs. LeBron also broke almost every franchise record and gave that franchise 2 MVP's. However I really don't think they will retire it even though they should but they won't because of The Decision

Eventually, yes. I am not sure what the Cavaliers policy on that is. I know most professional sports teams do not retire numbers until the player is elected to the hall of fame (which is how it should be, IMO). And obviously that's where LeBron is headed once his career is over, so the short answer is that yes the number should be eventually retired. Also, I think that most teams take numbers out of circulation for a period of time when a player that's had a big impact on the franchise leaves, whether they plan on formally retiring the number or not.

Also, it sounds like the number 23 may be retired league-wide anyway. Lots of dudes who wore it last year are switching for this coming season. But obviously that is another story.

Edited by Phightins

Nope, the whole organization is too bitter about him leaving.

Should they? Yes. will they? No.

This.

He's the best player in Cavs history, played there for 7 years, won 2 MVPS with the team, took them to their only finals appearance, revived a franchise that wasn't going anywhere...the list goes on. The only reason why they shouldn't do it is because of they way Cleveland (no not Lebron) ended the marriage.

Just looking at the stats and non humane aspect, of course.

Bottom line: You don't screw a franchise over and treat the organization like [expletive] and get honored at the same time.

Ilgauskas will have his number retired, not LePrick.

And I guarantee you every Cavs fan who knows how it really felt will agree with me. All the people who just watch LeBron and think he's the better man here of course will think Cleveland will get over it. We aren't. It's being discussed on the radio stations daily. No getting over what he did. Ever.

Edited by The New Beginning

Cleveland doesn't appreciate anything he did for them so it is highly doubtful his number will be retired.

Why should we appreciate anything? LeBron never acknowledged Cleveland. Always talked about putting Akron on the map. NEVER told the owner that he was leaving. Rather, he had his agent notify Gilbert mere minutes after his ESPN show began.

This guy never did what he promised, and is sad enough to humiliate the entire city on live TV with staged questions and a guy who he paid host the show.

Calling us "that city" less than a day after leaving, partying it up, recruiting more in a few days than in 7 years here, noticeably going through the motions in the playoffs, and giving disgusting comments in the post game conferences about how he spoils himself.

He's all about him. After Game 6, he said he and "his team" will go over everything for this summer's free agency. What a joke. Nothing about getting back next year and bouncing back, or how mad he is that we didn't accomplish the goal. Just how excited he is to leave.

Worst of all, shooting the left handed free throw. His elbow's fine now of course. And even worse, quitting in the final minutes of Game 6 and shoving it in our faces.

• Like 1

No.

I'll give an example, Paul Pierce will have his number retired as a Celtic, KG/Ray Allen probably wont have their numbers retired. Point being, you gotta stay longer than half your career to be honored IMO. He'll likely stay in miami longer and do more for them(championship wise).

why should you appreciate what he did? He's the only reason you still have a team in Cleveland.

He might be the only reason we lose a team in Cleveland also. So essentially what foundation he established is pretty much gone now.

Cavs could've drafted D-Wade, Melo, etc...

He might be the only reason we lose a team in Cleveland also. So essentially what foundation he established is pretty much gone now.

Cavs could've drafted D-Wade, Melo, etc...

And they would have probably left too if the Cavs gave them as much average talent as LeBron had. Why should you guys appreciate what LeBron did? Because he gave your franchise the best 7 years of its existence and gave it hope. Even though it didn't work out in the end, it's all about the journey. And he gave Cleveland a helluva run. Even though he didn't fulfill his potential necessarily and was a crappy human being, give me a 30/8/8 guy who's a ton of fun to watch and keeps his team a contender over an average (or above average) All-Star who couldn't have done as much as LeBron did with that team.

Anyway, they SHOULD retire LeBron's number, but I doubt it happens.

Edited by Nitro

Well, a hollywood director couldn't have scripted a worse way to truly stab the hearts of people who invested so much into this guy.

We craved a championship so much that we let the little things just slide through the cracks, but once we truly saw who he was once the betrayal aired on ESPN, we just came to the realization that he never was a class act. I'm tired of saying reasons for why he is hated. Because if you don't get it by now you just never will.

We had a chance to bring in Amare. He signed off on Jamison. He forced us to get Shaq. He decided not to recruit like he is now. We could've gotten Ariza last year but LBJ wouldn't commit. He signed off on every move. People like you think management couldn't surround him. Wrong. He picked everything and his posse of thugs were given jobs even. This organization bent over for him. And he returns it by quitting in the playoffs, telling us he spoils us with his play, humiliating us on public television, and even more that I've said already.

For all the great things you think he's gone, he's done just as many bad things. For that, in no way does he deserve to be honored by a team he screwed over in just about every way. Larry Nance has his number retired. You could say LBJ should definitely be too. Well, to be honored by a franchise, you have to also be a man. And LBJ is half the man Larry Nance is.

So don't give me that crap. They made a dramatic move any time he wanted them to. He lead them on all summer. They even got a new coach and GM. And by that time, he STILL hadn't told them his decision. If he did, we could've actually gotten a nice player in return for trading him.

Well, a hollywood director couldn't have scripted a worse way to truly stab the hearts of people who invested so much into this guy.

We craved a championship so much that we let the little things just slide through the cracks, but once we truly saw who he was once the betrayal aired on ESPN, we just came to the realization that he never was a class act. I'm tired of saying reasons for why he is hated. Because if you don't get it by now you just never will.

We had a chance to bring in Amare. He signed off on Jamison. He forced us to get Shaq. He decided not to recruit like he is now. We could've gotten Ariza last year but LBJ wouldn't commit. He signed off on every move. People like you think management couldn't surround him. Wrong. He picked everything and his posse of thugs were given jobs even. This organization bent over for him. And he returns it by quitting in the playoffs, telling us he spoils us with his play, humiliating us on public television, and even more that I've said already.

For all the great things you think he's gone, he's done just as many bad things. For that, in no way does he deserve to be honored by a team he screwed over in just about every way. Larry Nance has his number retired. You could say LBJ should definitely be too. Well, to be honored by a franchise, you have to also be a man. And LBJ is half the man Larry Nance is.

So don't give me that crap. They made a dramatic move any time he wanted them to. He lead them on all summer. They even got a new coach and GM. And by that time, he STILL hadn't told them his decision. If he did, we could've actually gotten a nice player in return for trading him.

First off, the organization should have done what THEY thought was best for the team. In the entire 7 seasons the best player they got was a 34 year old Antawn Jamison for half a season. Just because LeBron "signed off" on Jamison doesn't mean he didn't think Amare was the better choice. Find me a source where James chose Jamison over Amare and you may have a case. Regardless, even if he did choose Jamison over Amare, the Cavs shouldn't have done it. They should have taken the younger, better player. You can't blame James for GM and ownership decisions. Afterall, it was their choice to give James as much say as he supposedly had.

Secondly, give me a primadona top 20 all-time player over a loyal, respectful All-Star anyday. An LBJ player may leave a sour taste in your mouth when it's all said and done, but in the time he was on the team you got as good a 7 years as any non-Lakers/Celtics/Spurs/Bulls/Rockets/Pistons franchise has gotten over the last 20-30 seasons. You got to experience a Finals appearance, multiple 60+ win seasons, 2 MVP awards, sold out arenas, excitements, national exposure, etc... You got a once in a generation talent and got to watch him grow as a player and carry the franchise to places never before seen. Because of that, it's so hard to lose him, and the other stuff he did is just gravy. However, at least you got to have those 7 years of fun...teams like the Grizlies, Wolves, and PLENTY others have never had that kind of oppertunity. Therefor, you should appreciate what you had.

Secondly, give me a primadona top 20 all-time player over a loyal, respectful All-Star anyday. An LBJ player may leave a sour taste in your mouth when it's all said and done, but in the time he was on the team you got as good a 7 years as any non-Lakers/Celtics/Spurs/Bulls/Rockets/Pistons franchise has gotten over the last 20-30 seasons. You got to experience a Finals appearance, multiple 60+ win seasons, 2 MVP awards, sold out arenas, excitements, national exposure, etc... You got a once in a generation talent and got to watch him grow as a player and carry the franchise to places never before seen. Because of that, it's so hard to lose him, and the other stuff he did is just gravy. However, at least you got to have those 7 years of fun...teams like the Grizlies, Wolves, and PLENTY others have never had that kind of oppertunity. Therefor, you should appreciate what you had.

That's exactly how I feel. I am a Cavaliers fan, born in Cleveland, and I only became a fan of the Cavs when they drafted LeBron. I'm sure there are plenty of Cavalier fans who are in the same boat as I am. I don't hate LeBron for leaving...he gave us some of the best 7-years in franchise history, not to mention plenty of great moments and playoff appearances. The only thing I will never get over is the energy he brought into the building. I was never fortunate enough to see him live in a Cavaliers uniform, but the crowds during playoff games, especially those which were critical to us in the Q was so amazing, I felt like I was there even though I was only watching on a screen.

EDIT: I am also very dissapointed in how all of these events transpired as the bitter ending to his career in Cleveland. Think about it. All we had to do is wait six more years, and after a few championships, there would have been no place better to go than Cleveland. At the age of 31, LeBron would have been hungry to close out his career with another championship or two, and to do it for Cleveland, would have been as great as his first seven seasons in a Cavaliers uniform. We [expletive]ed it up just as much as LeBron did.

Edited by CLEkid