General Hockey Thread 2010-2011

Phightins

Perhaps we can get this sticked and get the offseason thread taken down?

Anyway, it is almost here. SI.com released their early power rankings the other day. I do not usually put much stock into "power rankings", but I have several issues with this one. Hard to argue with Pittsburgh and Washington being in the top 3, but IMO they have the Blackhawks way too high and the Canucks a little too low.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/writers/allan_muir/08/13/offseason.rankings/index.html

Edited by Phightins

• 4 weeks later...

:lol:

Toronto is giving Michael Liambis a tryout. Of course Burke would be the one to give him a chance.

I do think his suspension was a bit harsh (although understandable considering the severity of the injury that resulted from the hit), and it is great to see him get a chance to live his dream. Other than the speed he came in with, the hit wasn't that bad, at least from what I remember.

Also, I found it pretty funny that Kyle Wellwood was given a tryout at Phoenix's rookie camp. It really is a shame at how much of a waste of talent he is.

Let's go Blues!

Hopefully that goalie we got from the Leafs is decent...

You mean Canadiens. I don't think Universe will be happy that you confused the Leafs and Canadiens!

I don't know what the talk in St. Louis is (or Montreal), but I have to imagine that the hype for Halak is ridiculous and I'll be shocked if he lives up to it. That playoff run was ridiculous, but Marty Biron had a similar run a couple years ago and look where he is now (obviously Halak is a lot more talented than Biron, but the point is that the expectations for Halak should not be based on his playoff run).

:lol:

Toronto is giving Michael Liambis a tryout. Of course Burke would be the one to give him a chance.

I do think his suspension was a bit harsh (although understandable considering the severity of the injury that resulted from the hit), and it is great to see him get a chance to live his dream. Other than the speed he came in with, the hit wasn't that bad, at least from what I remember.

Also, I found it pretty funny that Kyle Wellwood was given a tryout at Phoenix's rookie camp. It really is a shame at how much of a waste of talent he is.

Haha, hopefully Wellwood's little brother turns out a bit better. He is a Flyers prospect.

I am excited for the Flyers as well. The defense is very deep and very nasty, IMO. I am looking forward to seeing how Nikolai Zherdev fits in, and also how Ville Leino plays for a full season.

Devils got owned by the league for the Kovalchuk mess. They have to give up a 1st rounder at some point in the next 4 years (they get to pick which year), a 3rd round pick in 2011, and they are fined $3 million. Ouch!

Hockey tn!

Will be watching the Leafs game since there will be a lot of fights hopefully with everyone trying to impress Burke.

Would you mind posting a recap if you get time? I can't watch it on TV and I haven't been able to find a working link online.

I'm more interested in how Kadri, D'Amigo, Rynass and Gustavsson do. I'm really interested in seeing if Kadri is going to be able to get a roster spot with the big club this year.

Also, it sounds like Marc Savard might miss the entire season with Post-Concussion Syndrome. Does this open up a top 6 role for Tyler Seguin?

Edited by Built Ford Tough

So there will be an HBO series in December that takes an all-access look at the Capitals and Penguins (really, which other teams would the league have picked for this?) in the days/games leading up to the Winter Classic. It will be similar to Hard Knocks I guess.