General Hockey Thread 2010-2011

Phightins

20+ games is absolutely ridiculous lol. And even I thought he would get 10 games.

The fan clearly said something other then "way to be a professional" to the guy, he provoked him.

You can say whatever you want to say. He was clapping. He didn't make any physical gestures towards him, and Rypien just flipped out and grabbed him.

Six games is pretty pathetic for his actions. The NHL needs to make an example out of him.

Edited by EastCoastNiner

All I know is that if a certain guy that wears orange and #13 did that, he'd be sitting for a lot longer than 6 games.

Same goes for a lot of guys, probably. Pretty sad how biased the league is with this stuff. I know track record should play into the decision, but not this much.

Really sad to see such tiny crowds in Columbus. That has always struck me as one of those towns where hockey could work if they had a good team to get behind but it just has not worked yet.

Really sad to see such tiny crowds in Columbus. That has always struck me as one of those towns where hockey could work if they had a good team to get behind but it just has not worked yet.

Last year they filled it 85% percent so I believe they just need some consistancy and they'll be fine. If they were to get a John Tavares type player, they will get some noise going again.

What really puzzles me is how hard some of the groups are trying to keep Phoenix in Phoenix....just doesn't make sense.

I am sick of all this head trauma talk to be honest.

Also...

The NHL capped last season with its best television rating for a game in 36 years, according to an ESPN.com report.

League officials think they can do even better.

That conviction will help guide the NHL's negotiations for its next TV contracts. Deals with NBC and Versus expire after this season.

"A lot of it has to do with getting the exposure, getting the word out," John Collins, the NHL's chief operating officer, said before this season. "People can talk about how great the finals were -- and they were -- and how great it was to have Chicago and Philly.

Read more: http://www.realgmhockey.com/src_wiretap_archives/8637/20101026/nhl_prepares_for_new_tv_deal/#ixzz13UoGApNJ

The NHL needs to get back on ESPN, especially if the NBA is seriously on the brink of a lockout.

I'd love for someone to explain to me how Tim Thomas did not win POTM.

Yes, Steven Stamkos has been doing great, but it's not like Ovechkin, Crosby, Malkin, and others haven't had great starts to season's before. However, what Tim Thomas is doing is REMARKABLE, and is making NHL history.

He has a .50 gaa and .984 save percentage. It's crazy that he didn't win.

Why does Dion Phaneuf have to be injured?

Now Toronto may actually start winning a few games. :lol: .

I hope they suck so the Bruins can get Adam Larson. Damn, that would be awesome to completely and utterly rape the Leafs in the Kessel trade.

Don't get greedy. I am just happy that the Flyers have a first round pick at all this season. In essence, we have not had one in 3 seasons.

Maybe they can trade Jeff Carter and get another one :).

Edited by Phightins

Paul Bissonnette is [expletive]in hilarious. He is on NHL Live right now. I wish there were more professional athletes like him.

Also, if you are on Twitter, I highly recommend following him. @biznasty2point0

The NHL is considering a full scale overhaul of the NHL All Star game.

While the concept hasn't been officially signed off on, sources say how the players are selected to play may change for this year's event in North Carolina.

If the changes are approved, the East vs. West format would no longer exist.

Fan voting would still be utilized to determine the game's starters, while the remaining 36 players will be selected by NHL's hockey operations department.

The captains of each team will be voted on by the participating players, and those captains and alternate captains will draft their teams as part of a live event in Raleigh during All Star weekend.

Discussions with the NHLPA will continue before an official announcement is made. However, the expectation is the league and union will agree to the changes in the coming days.

http://tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=340505

Well, this would certainly be new...

This should go without saying, but Steven Stamkos is absurdly good. This hit me like a brick wall watching him in person. Jesus.

And another thing....the Islanders are the biggest piece of [expletive] organization in the NHL, both on and off the ice.

Edited by Phightins