MLB Offseason Thread 2010-11

Phightins

@SI_JonHeyman

jeter deal at hand. may be finalized today. very creative deal for about $16 mil a year. final hurdles include how 4th yr will be treated
#yankees and jeter also working on the exact final guaranteed money. but deal is expected to be done today
Edited by Waldo

Reports were that the Sox would send 3-4 guys. Originally, one was expected to be Major League talent, quite possibly Kalish or Iglesias. Now, no Major League players are expected to be in the deal. Latest report is that the package includes Casey Kelly, Anthony Rizzo, and Reymond Fuentes, Carlos Beltran's cousin. Gonzalez has one year left on his current contract at $6M.

@SI_JonHeyman

work yet to be done on a-gone extension. may take day or 2. im guessing they add 7 yrs, $165-170 mil for 8 yrs $171-176 total

@BobKlap

Can confirm report by @SI_JonHeyman: Jeter deal is all but done. Three years for between $15-$17 million per, with non-guaranteed fourth yr

Pretty sad for the Padres. They had a great season, but are now trading their best player (and a guy who is relatively local) for financial reasons. And IMO they didn't get nearly enough.

With that said, the Red Sox lineup is going to be absolutely loaded, especially if they sign J-Dub too (ugh, the thought of that hurts). Adrian Gonzalez has a perfect Fenway Park swing, and for the first time in his career he will have legitimate protection. Just the thought of this is scary.

Edited by Phightins

SI_JonHeyman

berkman got $8 mil from #cardinals. he'll play left field, hear theyre moving holliday to right field

Poor Colby Rasmus will be getting a work out on every fly ball.

I like the pickup for the Cardinals.

I think we overpaid, but Berkman is an upgrade over Jay in the outfield.

Apparently we're moving Holliday to RF and Berkman to LF.

Most people don't think Berkman can play LF at Busch due to his recent terrible UZR, but Rasmus' range will help out Berkman a lot.

I like the signing a lot as a Cardinals fan, we need more power in our lineup with the 2 automatic outs in our lineup in Schumaker and the pitcher's spot.

That's fuking retarded if we cant make any new threads about baseball and have everything in this one thread

Berkman is done who gives a shiit bout that pickup

Stop bypassing the word censor.

If we started a new thread for every FA signing this forum would look ridiculous.

The Cardinals outfield is going to be horrendous...

Rasmus, Holliday, and Berkman...?

We have one bad fielding outfielder!

Rasmus and Holliday are stupendous on the UZR scale

Holliday at +8.7

Rasmus at 14.0 in 2009, but -9.0 in 2010 because of his calf injury.

As a Cardinals fan, I'm happy with this move. We have 5 ground ball pitchers in our rotation so I will give up hitting for fielding in this situation.

I really, really like Berkman and think he's going to have a nice season for the Cardinals. That's a nice hitting outfield, makes up for Theriot.

Theriot is an upgrade over Ryan hitting wise at SS.

McGwire perhaps will help Berkman have a bounce back year, he is motivated to get back at the Astros, and he knows NL pitching.

Upgrade or not over Ryan, he's still pretty brutal at the plate. But Berkman helps!

I'd rather have Ryan as my SS, but yes!

Berkman is Larry Walker 2.0 for us.

In 2004 Walker gave us a huge BOOST, so hopefully Lance will do the same.