MLB Offseason Thread 2010-11

Phightins

I think you're just a homer...:) 54 homeruns deserves at least on MVP vote, not to mention his .995 ops to his .914 ops...and the fact Bautista had 15 more rbi's

True he had more homers by a lot and he had the higher OPS. Cano also carried his lineup in a season where everyone outside of Nick Swisher hit below their career lines and carried them to the tune of 10 wins above the Jays. There's also the gold glove defense factor versus Bautista's butcher D... I just don't think MVP votes should be based off homers and walks. BUT I'M A HUGE HOMER.

Also lmao @ RBI's hahah.

I know Cano was huge for the Yankees, especially in the first 2 months of the season, but I don't know if 'carried' is the proper term. The Yankees have enough players producing where you can never really say 1 player carried the team.

To me using wins is more laughable than using RBI, by using wins does that mean if Barry Bonds played for the Orioles and had his 73 homerun season he still couldn't win it cause his team finished last? The Blue Jays suck, it's impressive that Bautista even carried them to a winning record.

I know Cano was huge for the Yankees, especially in the first 2 months of the season, but I don't know if 'carried' is the proper term. The Yankees have enough players producing where you can never really say 1 player carried the team.

To me using wins is more laughable than using RBI, by using wins does that mean if Barry Bonds played for the Orioles and had his 73 homerun season he still couldn't win it cause his team finished last? The Blue Jays suck, it's impressive that Bautista even carried them to a winning record.

Watching every game for the season, carried is a fairly appropriate term. I'd say take my word for it, but you won't.

You just compared Bonds' 73 HR season to the one that Bautista just had, which is outlandish. Bonds had a 1.379 OPS. He had 93 K's against 177 BB's. 259 OPS+, 39 IBB. Bonds' team could have gone 0-162 and he would have won it. I get the point that you're trying to make, but certainly don't use one of the best seasons in MLB history as the comparative tool. Doesn't work.

As far as wins or RBIs being the worse measuring tool... Wins highly influence MVP voting. Success of the team plays into perceived value. If you look at the history of MVP awards, I'm sure you'll see a high win total for the team more often than not. I don't, however, believe anyone looks at RBI and says damn... There's a great voting factor.

When it boils down, I shouldn't even be defending it... Cano finished 64 points ahead of Bautista in the voting regardless. I just think it's silly that Bautista got a first place vote at all... lol.

Watching every game for the season, carried is a fairly appropriate term. I'd say take my word for it, but you won't.

You just compared Bonds' 73 HR season to the one that Bautista just had, which is outlandish. Bonds had a 1.379 OPS. He had 93 K's against 177 BB's. 259 OPS+, 39 IBB. Bonds' team could have gone 0-162 and he would have won it. I get the point that you're trying to make, but certainly don't use one of the best seasons in MLB history as the comparative tool. Doesn't work.

As far as wins or RBIs being the worse measuring tool... Wins highly influence MVP voting. Success of the team plays into perceived value. If you look at the history of MVP awards, I'm sure you'll see a high win total for the team more often than not. I don't, however, believe anyone looks at RBI and says damn... There's a great voting factor.

When it boils down, I shouldn't even be defending it... Cano finished 64 points ahead of Bautista in the voting regardless. I just think it's silly that Bautista got a first place vote at all... lol.

Fair enough I suppose, I'm not saying Bautista deserved it more or Cano deserved it more, just making the argument of why one would consider choosing Bautista over Cano. As for the first place vote, I suppose you always have to assume there will be that 1 guy who gives a 1st place vote to the HR leader.

• Like 1

With the SABR movement of the past 5 years, there now are basically two definitions of "value". There is the SABR side, which says that team performance is absolutely no factor. Each player has a specific "value", and that value does not change whether they play for the Yankees or the Pirates. Basically, the idea that a $20 bill is worth $20 whether it is possessed by Bill Gates or me.

There is also the more traditional, non-SABR idea that a player's value, especially when it comes to this award, depends on how important they are to their individual team.

Personally, I see both sides of this. As long as there is no clear definition of "value" attached to the MVP award, there will always be disagreement/bickering among voters and fans.

One AL executive predicts that the Angels will “spend their butts off."

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2010/11/stark-on-tigers-angels-werth-rangers.html

So, Kingfish, what are your thoughts on the Angels attempting to buy a championship?

:lol:

I can't say I understand what the Marlins are doing this offseason, although I guess it depends on the money. I understand why Vazquez wanted to pitch in Miami, don't really understand why the Marlins wanted him, unless it's an incentive-laden deal.

Couple moves for the Cardinals today. Trade Blake Hawksworth to the Dodgers for Ryan Theriot. Also sign Brian Tallet.

Maybe it's just me, but Ryan Theriot seems like the ultimate Tony LaRussa player. Not a surprise at all.

Couple moves for the Cardinals today. Trade Blake Hawksworth to the Dodgers for Ryan Theriot. Also sign Brian Tallet.

Maybe it's just me, but Ryan Theriot seems like the ultimate Tony LaRussa player. Not a surprise at all.

I'm very excited about both moves.

Theriot is a gamer, and Tallet is a very good swingman out of the pen.

Should be good for my Cardinals.

I'm very excited about both moves.

Theriot is a gamer, and Tallet is a very good swingman out of the pen.

Should be good for my Cardinals.

Eh, maybe, he sucked the past 2 years, but he was the AL East and anyone under Dave Duncan is a stud...still I would never describe him as 'very good'

Edited by STATCity

Eh, maybe, he sucked the past 2 years, but he was the AL East and anyone under Dave Duncan is a stud...still I would never describe him as 'very good'

He posted solid numbers against lefties last year even with his bad ERA overall. If Duncan can fix Jeff Suppan, he can fix anyone.

Theriot is apparently going back to shortstop. To me, Theriot seems like a glorified version of the dude he is replacing (Brendan Ryan), with worse defense. Either way, the ultimate TLR guy, as I was mentioning earlier.

Theriot is apparently going back to shortstop. To me, Theriot seems like a glorified version of the dude he is replacing (Brendan Ryan), with worse defense. Either way, the ultimate TLR guy, as I was mentioning earlier.

I Theriot think he will play 2B against LHP and SS against RHP. Ryan is the one of the best in the league with the Glove, but he can't hit his weight. Theriot can also play 3B so it should be interesting.