Rockets, Nets and Lakers are in advanced talks in 3 team deal

Dash

Terrible move for LA, I know Kupchak can get more (or at least a better big) for Sasha and Luke in a deal together. All they get out of this is Joe Smith...

lmfao, no one wants Luke, dude. he's owed $17M over the next three years.

Wow, I had no idea we are letting go of the 2011 first-rounder. That's worth more than Vujacic and Smith combined. Sasha is going to expire. We should've just let him do that.

this is just a money move for the Lakers. dumping Sasha's contract and getting the cheap Smith in exchange essentially saves Buss $5M. it's not that bad of a deal. they really had no need for Sasha anymore with guys like Brown and Barnes, and now they at least get some type of insurance in case Bynum or Ratliff go down again.

• Like 2

There's got to be something more to this trade. Why would we give up an expiring AND a first round pick for Joe Smith? :confused:

Because with the luxury cap, the Lakers save six million bucks. This is a money dump. First round picks DON"T PLAY SERIOUS MINUTES for championship-level teams. Assuming the Lakers have a great season, the number 27-30 pick isn't going to crack the rotation the first two or three years that player is in the NBA. Might as well save some cash.

Smith is an upgrade over Derrick Caracter for a team trying to win a title. The Lakers are probably much more comfortable with their backcourt than frontcourt.

• Like 1

Don't like having to trade a 1st rounder to dump Sasha, but the fact Vujacrap won't be on the team anymore is addition by subtraction. The guy just flat out sucks. He had a 6-month stretch where he was solid and then went back to being terrible.

Joe Smith is just a big body, which LA needs since you can't trust Bynum staying healthy. Even if he's older than dirt, I'd rather have him than Vujabrick.

This is big as far as savings for Buss. He's not a multi-billionaire like other GMs who have businesses outside the franchise. Buss's primary source of income is the Lakers, so shedding salary is huge for him. Buss is saving close to 10 million by trading Sasha. Money that he needs to save to possibly re-sign Shannon Brown.

They also pick up a trade exception, which can be more valuable than an expiring, if they want to make another deal.

Because with the luxury cap, the Lakers save six million bucks. This is a money dump. First round picks DON"T PLAY SERIOUS MINUTES for championship-level teams. Assuming the Lakers have a great season, the number 27-30 pick isn't going to crack the rotation the first two or three years that player is in the NBA. Might as well save some cash.

Smith is an upgrade over Derrick Caracter for a team trying to win a title. The Lakers are probably much more comfortable with their backcourt than frontcourt.

I'm all for saving money (and that's what I figured this move was for) but I mean Joe Smith? I guess we're lucky to get back anyone at all, most of the time Kupchak will dump someone or draft picks for straight cash.

Prokohorov is a genius!!! First Jordan Farmar and now Sasha Vujacic?!? So THAT'S his blueprint for greatness, steal the scrubs away from championship teams and build from the bottom to the top....BRILLIANT!!!

:lol:

Maybe it's bringing over potential pieces for a trade to bring over Carmelo...

The Nets have received assurances from several people from Anthony's camp that he would sign an extension with the club.

The framework of the three-team trade came together on Tuesday, just two days after word leaked that Anthony would only sign an extension with New York.

According to a Yahoo! report, the Nets are confident owner Mikhail Prokhorov and Avery Johnson can convince Anthony to commit to the Nets in the long-term.

I said it, OTR.

Jonathan_Feigen

Pick Rockets sending NJ is lottery protected. Rockets working on another deal to move Jermaine Taylor to create room for Terrence Williams.

Yes! Lottery protection was the only thing I was iffy about in this deal, sucks that Taylor has to go but he was rarely being used so best of luck to him. Question is who gets cut from the rotation to make room for Terrence? Bud or Lee?

:lol: are you serious?

When I posted that I forgot all about Bud's awful play this year. :lol: Chase did play pretty damn well last game though.

Some more info on the Rockets first:

The draft pick will be lottery protected through 2017. To make room for Williams, the Rockets will send guard Jermaine Taylor and cash considerations to the Sacramento Kings for a second-round pick they will likely never receive.

In a move solely to create roster space, the Rockets will receive the pick only if the Kings finish with one of the top five records in the NBA this season.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/bk/bkn/7339255.html

Job well done Morey. :glasses:

Many players never reach their potential. Attitude problems is the number one reason those players never reach it.

Michael Beasley had 'attitude problems' too in his days in Miami and look how he has turned out for Minnesota. Giving up a lottery protected first for Terrence Williams, who is just gushing of potential, is a very solid trade.

I read Jerry ends up saving 9 million in luxury tax from this deal (more if you include the 1st rounder which we probably would've sold anyways), so financially this was a great move. This probably helps him recover some of the MLE money he spent this offseason for Steve Blake. Joe Smith isn't going to play much, but neither was Sasha so it's a wash.

NJ now has Sasha and Farmar I wonder if we could dump Walton on their hands as well.

• Like 1

Morey the bandit still got it.

Bud had a nice game tonight the shot looked really nice, it's amazing what a little bit of pressure can do to a guy. :rolleyes:

Bud's past 2 games have been impressive. Rick has a tough decision to make but I don't see any reason why T-Will won't get the nod.

I don't know who's actually piling up assets... Rockets or Nets...

If I were Denver GM, I'd value Terrence Williams more than those first round picks.

Rockets are also said to be interested in trading for Melo without getting his extension assurance... too bad Scola is old, if he was 22-23 I'm sure Denver would be interested in him.

I don't know who's actually piling up assets... Rockets or Nets...

If I were Denver GM, I'd value Terrence Williams more than those first round picks.

Rockets are also said to be interested in trading for Melo without getting his extension assurance... too bad Scola is old, if he was 22-23 I'm sure Denver would be interested in him.

Just because they're getting talented young players, doesn't mean they should be considered trade assets. I think Morey is in the process of blowing everything up and rebuilding. And it doesn't seem like Melo is interested in the Rockets either, so he probably wouldn't sign an extension.

Rockets were said to be on Melo's wish list aside of the East coast team...

Wasn't that back in September? It was also then when some thought Yao would be back somewhat healthy and that Houston would be top team in the West...

It seems pretty clear now that NJ and NY are the only teams capable of getting him.

Just because they're getting talented young players, doesn't mean they should be considered trade assets. I think Morey is in the process of blowing everything up and rebuilding. And it doesn't seem like Melo is interested in the Rockets either, so he probably wouldn't sign an extension.

What Snake said is true, the Rockets would definitely trade for Melo without an extension. However, that was a few weeks ago so things could have possibly changed since then.

To be honest I don't know what direction Morey wants to go but apparantely how well Houston plays this month is going to be crucial.