Last Movie You Saw and Rate It

htown11

Jumanji - 10/10

Classic film. Still fun to watch even to this day.

The Bourne Identity - 7/10

I had high expectations for this and the fight scenes and Matt Damon were pretty cool but half the movie was so BORING. Franka Potente put me to sleep every time she was on the camera and the villains weren't even the least bit interesting. I watched an episode of 24 before this and man that one episode made everything about Bourne Identity, from the cast to the storyline, look like shit. Matt Damon is the only reason I'm giving this a 7 and the hope that it gets better from here.

I think if one looks for clues or something the movie can come more together after a few viewings. I've thought about the movie and read some things and there are many interesting things people have mentioned that I missed, and I personally think I could possibly see some things I didn't see the first time around. Great thing is though even if you are confused, the movie is just a great experience.

Oh you will see some things you didn't see the first time around for sure. In fact you will see some new things every time you watch the movie. You will understand things that you didn't the preceding times. That's definitely for sure. But the movie will always be confusing nonetheless. You will never understand that movie the way you understand a "normal" movie. For a simple reason : that's the way Lynch wants it. He made this movie, just like Twin Peaks and Lost Highway, not to be understood. They're purposely confusing. And that's what so great about it. In short to "understand" the movie you will have to accept the fact that you cannot understand it.

I know a lot of people who were severely troubled by the fact that they couldn't understand these movies (Lost Highway, Twin Peaks and Mullolhand so). They coiuldn't accept that and eventually didn't like it. That's because they looked at it all wrong. It's not a "traditional" movie, wanting to understand it at any price is a huge mistake, you have to let go into the movie. It's a movie that can be interpreted many ways, everyone can have a different interpretation of it in fact. You have to as a matter of fact. I mean no one can explain it to you, you have to have your own interpretation of it. And that's why it's so great.

Edited by Oliver P

Oh you will see some things you didn't see the first time around for sure. In fact you will see some new things every time you watch the movie. You will understand things that you didn't the preceding times. That's definitely for sure. But the movie will always be confusing nonetheless. You will never understand that movie the way you understand a "normal" movie. For a simple reason : that's the way Lynch wants it. He made this movie, just like Twin Peaks and Lost Highway, not to be understood. They're purposely confusing. And that's what so great about it. In short to "understand" the movie you will have to accept the fact that you cannot understand it.

I know a lot of people who were severely troubled by the fact that they couldn't understand these movies (Lost Highway, Twin Peaks and Mullolhand so). They coiuldn't accept that and eventually didn't like it. That's because they looked at it all wrong. It's not a "traditional" movie, wanting to understand it at any price is a huge mistake, you have to let go into the movie. It's a movie that can be interpreted many ways, everyone can have a different interpretation of it in fact. You have to as a matter of fact. I mean no one can explain it to you, you have to have your own interpretation of it. And that's why it's so great.

Funny thing is that when it first showed at Cannes Film Festival I believe, he kept persisting that the film is in fact coherent and he gave 10 clues I believe to people that were trying to figure it out. But I do agree with you that the film wants to be sort of confusing and non-linear, and I'm sure Lynch loves hearing/reading about these many different interpretations. And that is really why it is so great as you said. Just watching the movie is a fantastic experience in itself.

Also, if you haven't seen it, Youth Without Youth is sort of similar in terms of it being non-linear and sort of confusing. Love that movie. Seen it a few times now.

Just finished Inside Job, one of the most interesting and effective documentaries I have ever seen. I honestly think every single American should watch it and see how the financial collapse occurred, and how sleazy Wall Street/CEO's really are.

The whole thing is narrated by Matt Damon, and is just flat out interesting.

http://i297.photobucket.com/albums/mm233/lebronze23/inside-job-poster.jpg

10/10

htown I just watched Inside Job tonight (on Blu-Ray). Very good documentary. Fast paced, well edited, and a lot of interesting interviews. Gets a 9/10 from me. And the only other documentary I saw in the Academy Awards Best Documentary feature was Exit Through the Gift Shop (really want to see Restrepo), but I prefer Inside Job. Also, if you are interested in some documentaries, the best one I've probably seen is Harlan County, U.S.A. You can watch it on Hulu for free:

http://www.hulu.com/watch/166744/harlan-county-usa

Also saw Bus 174 last night. Another very good documentary (Brazilian). Shows a lot of problems with Brazil's society.

http://www.sinfield.org/images/p1_bus174.jpg

Edited by platoon793

htown I just watched Inside Job tonight (on Blu-Ray). Very good documentary. Fast paced, well edited, and a lot of interesting interviews. Gets a 9/10 from me. And the only other documentary I saw in the Academy Awards Best Documentary feature was Exit Through the Gift Shop (really want to see Restrepo), but I prefer Inside Job. Also, if you are interested in some documentaries, the best one I've probably seen is Harlan County, U.S.A. You can watch it on Hulu for free:

http://www.hulu.com/watch/166744/harlan-county-usa

Nice ya man that doc was extremely interesting, the inflated salaries these guys take home is just ridiculous. I also saw Exit Through The Gift Shop really did like that one also.

Thanks for the link to Harlan County I'll check that out, never heard of it.

Last night I watched Lincoln Lawyer at the theatres and was pleasantly surprised. I am not a fan of Matthew McConaughey at all but this was one his best performances IMO. The whole LA vibe of the movie was great and it kept you interested all the way through.

http://i297.photobucket.com/albums/mm233/lebronze23/77bea357.jpg

8/10

• Like 1

So lately I rewatched Raging Bull.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_IopqgrGpWhQ/SWaVl-THyBI/AAAAAAAABis/P5HuSxuCmC8/s400/Raging_Bull_poster.jpg

Awesome movie I don't know how many times I watched it, one of my very favorite movies. Pure masterpiece. De Niro and Pesci are just unbelievable in it. This is my favorite scene of the movie :

One of my favorite movie scenes ever. Totallly improvised by Pesci and De Niro, it's just great.

So I definitely give it a 10/10.

I also watched Alice in Wonderland.

http://www.sewersurfer.net/wp-content/uploads/2010/04/alice_in_wonderland_ver6.jpg

I was quite disappointed by it to be honest. I'm a huge fan of Tim Burton (and Depp) and this one was clearly not as good as his usual work IMO. Still a nice movie, very good graphics, but no more than that. The original version is much better. And the actress who plays Alice is just terrible, honestly... Don't know why Burton picked her.

So I'm gonna give it a 6/10.

Then I watched Network.

http://atthemovieswithbillyandbrian.files.wordpress.com/2010/03/network-movie-poster1.jpg

Very good movie, I had a good time watching it. The actors are all great, a very interesting view of the television network, very good satirical movie indeed. I'll give it a 9/10.

Edited by Oliver P
  • Like 2

I watched Apocalypto last night, it was a lot better than I had expected when it was gifted to me on Christmas. Blu-Ray graphics were great, and it was a great story. Chilling, gripping, and exciting. 8.5-9/10. Great job by Mel Gibson.

Raging Bull is in my opinion one of the best films ever made.

I thought the actress that played Alice was fine. The movie was decent, but that Depp dance at the end almost ruined the whole movie, haha.

Also, is this the first time you've seen Network? I re-watched it recently (like a couple of days ago) and its probably my favorite movie of all time. Absolutely love it.

Raging Bull is in my opinion one of the best films ever made.

No argument there. Definitely in my top 10 movies list, and my second favorite Scorses movie ever. Pure masterpiece indeed. I usually ain't a big fan of biographical movies cause in those movies the filmmaker tend to exaggerate the truth, to make the person look better than he/she really was... Like in the movie The Doors for example, there's a scene in which Densmore, Krieger and Manzarek sell Light My Fire for a commercial. And we see Jim Morrison furious that they did such a thing. Well the fact is that it never happened. John, Robby and Ray considered doing it but they eventually didn't.. Oliver Stone just made that up to glorify Morrison.

But anyway Raging Bull is a different biographical movie. First Giaccobe LaMotta (AKA Jake LaMotta) himself supervized the movie and helped De Niro during the shooting of the movie (he even said that De Niro could have been a real boxer) but the least that we can say is that he's not glorified in it.. A few things were changed though. Like in the scene I posted, we see LaMotta accusing his brother to "[expletive] his wife" then beat the shit outta him. Well in fact Jake really did that but not to his brother Giuseppe (AKA Joe LaMotta) but to his best friend Pete. But it's not important...

The main point of this movie is rather to show the fight of a man with his inner demons. And the least that we can say is that it's a total success... Amazing, just amazing.

I thought the actress that played Alice was fine.

Sir, have you been drinking ? Lol alright I might have exaggerated a bit but honestly... I can't agree with you about that. She's definitely not a good actress IMO. I mean all what she does is frowning during the whole movie... She's totally emotionless. I definitely hope I won't see her in another movie again lol.

The movie was decent, but that Depp dance at the end almost ruined the whole movie, haha.

Lol yeah that was weird, that's true. But at the same time it's first of all a kid's movie so I'm fine with it.

Also, is this the first time you've seen Network? I re-watched it recently (like a couple of days ago) and its probably my favorite movie of all time. Absolutely love it.

Yes Sir first time. htown advised me to watch it and I have to say that he was right for once (:D). Very good movie indeed.

• Like 1

Yes Sir first time. htown advised me to watch it and I have to say that he was right for once (:D). Very good movie indeed.

"for once"

I should send you to the retirement home gramps.

I remember we talked about Network a while back platoon definitely an awesome movie probably my favorite of all time with Goodfellas.

• Like 1

^ Hilarious movie

Last one I saw was

http://i297.photobucket.com/albums/mm233/lebronze23/wall-1.jpg

Wall Street: Money Never Sleeps

7/10

It wasn't that bad but after waiting so long for a sequel to the original Wall Street which was amazing, this fell short IMO. That's when Charlie Sheen was sane though lol, things sure have changed...

The movie never really took off, and this was more about Shia's character development over the bad ass Gordon Gekko, I wanted more Gordon I guess.

Recently I rewatched Barton Fink.

http://unesemaine-unchapitre.com/public/barton.jpg

A pure masterpiece. I don't know how many times I watched it... I can never get tired of it. My favorite movie from my favorite filmmakers, the Coen Brothers. Turturro and Goodman both have amazing performances in it, definitely among the best actor performances of All Time. Especially Goodman who's just beyond belief. Truly an amazing actor, among my very favorites.

So I definitely give it a 10/10.

Then I watched The Ghost Writer.

http://images.fan-de-cinema.com/affiches/thriller/the_ghost_writer,0.jpg

Very good movie, I liked it a lot. Polanski is one of my favorite filmmakers anyhow, I'm never disappointed by his movies. It's not my favorite of his movies (Chinatown is, followed by The Ninth Gate and The Tenant) but it was still a great movie, I advise it to anyone who hasn't watched it yet.

I give it a 9/10.

• Like 1

Last night I saw Source Code.

8/10

http://i297.photobucket.com/albums/mm233/lebronze23/Source-Code-Movie-Poster.jpg

Really liked the concept of this movie, and it wasn't overly complicated or to long. They could have easily stretched this movie out and made it overly detailed but instead got to the point swiftly which made it better than most movies that take the "Groundhog Day" plot and complicate it.

• Like 1

Scream 4

http://www.filmofilia.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/02/scream4_poster.jpg

Went to the midnight showing for this movie as my roommates wanted to go to it. We watched all 3 of the movies before going to see the 4th one. It was a decent movie. A lot of twists and turns happened that I wasn't expecting at all. Really threw me off guard a bit. I probably wont buy the movie (or any other ones for that matter) but it kept me entertained throughout the movie. I don't regret going to see it in theaters but it's a movie that could probably have waited until Redbox. I'll give the movie a solid 6.5/10.