Philadelphia Phillies 2011

Phightins

^ you care enough about baseball to drag your ass to 80 Phillies games throughout the year? that's amazing to me. lol, congrats, though.

Um. Do I care enough about baseball? You haven't seen me post much have you? Lolz.

Actually it is just a 17 game ticket plan (I usually wind up at 25ish games total).

Observations through first few weeks of ST...

Ben Francisco is having a fantastic spring, which is nice since he is basically the starting RFer by default now. John Mayberry Jr. is also proving that he can be an adequate 4th/5th OFer, which is nice. Still can't hit a breaking ball for the life of him, so I'd say it's officially time to give up hope of him ever being an impact player.

Also, Mike Stutes and Matt Anderson have been my favorite stories on the pitching side of it. Stutes is probably either the closer or setup man in 2012 and beyond, and he is making a legit case to break camp with the team this year. And obviously Anderson is a neat comeback story, but probably still a super longshot to make the team out of ST.

Wilson Valdez, Delwyn Young, and Josh Barfield having incredible springs. Combined 37-for-88 so far. So I guess that is some slight encouragement if Chase needs to spend time on the DL.

Scott Proefrock (assistant GM) said it "remains to be seen" if the Phillies have interest in Castillo. The fact that he did not shoot it down immediately tells me that they are definitely interested. Ugh. Well, on the bright side it would probably only cost pennies to get him. But I'd still rather give Barfield a shot first.

Also, more cuts today. Mike Stutes sent to minor league camp. Fully expect him to be back at some point this year, and perhaps even be the closer in 2012. Dude is filthy.

Close to signing Luis Castillo. League minimum. Fine, whatever. He can challenge Josh Barfield and Wilson Valdez for playing time. Not like there was a more intriguing option out there.

Biggest issue is that this seems like an admission that Utley will be out for a long time.

Also, more cuts today. Mike Stutes sent to minor league camp. Fully expect him to be back at some point this year, and perhaps even be the closer in 2012. Dude is filthy.

Stutes was brought back the other day when Lidge was injured. Legit chance of making the team now.

Looks like Luis Castillo will be the opening day second baseman. And IMO he should lead off. No, I am not insane....

The only productive lead off quality he has is giving a long at bat, not sure if that's what your looking for, just saying...

The only productive lead off quality he has is giving a long at bat, not sure if that's what your looking for, just saying...

I agree. That's all he does, which is enough for me haha. It'd allow them to move Rollins and Victorino to the middle of the order, which is where they have to be with Utley out. Castillo sees a bunch of pitches, unlike anybody else in the lineup. Not the ideal leadoff hitter, but I think he is the easy choice in this lineup, given all the shit going on.

Also...

http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g96/philsphan1210/IMG_20110405_215906.jpg

Most packed "sellout" ever!

Similarly, I want the names and addresses of every idiot who booed Hamels tonight so I can personally string them up by the balls.