New York Yankees 2011

Teletopez

Andy Pettitte has informed the Yankees that if he does return for the 2011 season, he won't be ready by Opening Day, reports Stefan Bondy and Nathaniel Vinton of the New York Daily News. Brian Cashman said Pettitte told him to "don't count on me" but the GM noted that if Pettitte wanted to pitch later in the season, the door would be open for a return.

"I don't think he's determined if he's officially finished or not, but he's chosen at this stage at least not to start in 2011," Cashman said. "If that ever changes he'll call us. We're not going to hound him or bother him."

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2011/01/andy-pettitte-will-not-start-2011-season.html

I'm somewhat disappointed in Cashman over this one. What happened to him not losing the first-rounder? Interesting signing, great pitcher, but over $11M for a player who has had two major surgeries?

Robertson, Logan, Joba, Feliciano, Soriano, Rivera. I suppose a stacked bullpen is key when it could be a rebuilding year for the rotation.

Any confusion between Cashman and the Steinbrenners seems to be solved and put in the past.

Andruw Jones is a smart choice for replacing Thames, especially with a one-year deal.

MLB.com's list of the top ten catching prospects included Montero, Sanchez, and Romine. Still a long way to go for Sanchez. Link

Arbitration avoided with Hughes and Joba. Hughes 1/$2.7 M, Joba 1/$1.4 M.

Avoided with Logan, too. I think it was $1.2M.

I love the idea of Jones. He's Thames against lefties and can actually play the field... He's a great option to give Granderson and Gardner rests in CF/LF against lefty pitchers.

I think Gary Sanchez might have the highest upside in our minors. Can't wait to see how this kid develops.

• 2 weeks later...

15 days from P&C.

“You’re not asking me to put my hands in a different spot,” Long said Jeter told him. “You’re asking me to do something with my front foot that I’ve never done before.”

So on Wednesday, they reunited for a session that, according to Long, was “pretty simple.” First, Jeter hit off a tee, which was positioned in different areas of the hitting zone. Then, Long would flip him pitches. There are other components that Long wants to tackle in the future, but he wanted Jeter to focus on gaining comfort hitting without a stride. He took about 120 swings each day, and on Thursday he told Long that he sensed a difference.

“He said, ‘K-Long, I don’t know what to do with all this extra time that I didn’t have before,’ ” Long said. “He said that he doesn’t have as many parts to get going into place before he reacts to the baseball. That’s exactly what I hoped he would say. That’s exactly right.”

If he can maximize that extra time, Long says, he expects Jeter, a superb opposite-field hitter, to become more efficient and explosive, driving balls to left and left-center. Long declined to divulge his predictions for Jeter, only that “if I told you, you’d be like, ‘Whoa!’ ” If Jeter fulfills them, Long might be able to cross Tampa off his itinerary next January. He took advantage of his time in town to visit Jeter’s new mansion, known locally as St. Jetersburg, and came away duly impressed.

“I don’t know if his swing will ever be as good as his house,” Long said.

Full Article

Four spots in the rotation filled... CC, Hughes, Burnett, Nova (likely)... Leaves Bartolo Colon, Freddie Garcia, Sergio Mitre, and some minor leaguers (Warren, Phelps, Mitchell, Brackman, Noesi, Betances, Banuelos) to fight for that 5th spot. It's going to be an interesting spring for sure.

Still in contact with Millwood... anyways, I'd even take Colon over Blanton. No thanks. :) :)

Bye Andy, it was an absolute pleasure watching you for most of my cognizant sports life. One of the biggest gamers I've ever seen.

Sign Millwood, trot him out as the #4, and let Garcia/Nova/Colon battle it out for the #5 spot.

Millwood supposedly wants $5 million (I'd imagine he will take the Yankees to the bank now more than ever). If I were a Yankee fan I'd want them to tell him to [expletive] off and give some kid a shot.

Edited by Phightins

If I were a Yankee fan I'd want them to tell him to [expletive] off and give some kid a shot.

This is why they can be patient and wait for Millwood to realize there's no market for him. They'll take the patience/trade/prospect stance until something falls in their laps. I'd love to give a kid a shot out of the gate, but I know that's not the MO of this team.

This is why they can be patient and wait for Millwood to realize there's no market for him. They'll take the patience/trade/prospect stance until something falls in their laps. I'd love to give a kid a shot out of the gate, but I know that's not the MO of this team.

I kept saying the same thing about Washburn last year and it didn't work out for me :(

CC comes into camp at 290, 25 pounds shed from his 315 playing weight last season.

Apparently, though, Joba took that weight and downed it himself. Heyman says he looks like he ate one of the clubhouse kids. Way to stay focused, slob.

This is the most excited I've been for a spring training in a long while. So many spots to be won, will be great to watch unfold.