New York Yankees 2011

Teletopez

2012 doesn't worry me yet. If anything, maybe he plays it into an extension. To be seen, not an issue yet.

CC is welcome to come to the Phillies. We could use an upgrade at the 5th starter spot. :glasses:

Edited by Phightins

http://media.nj.com/yankees_main/photo/9333382-large.jpg

Mark Prior to make first pitch for job with Yankees

LAKELAND, Fla. — Good morning from spring training, where the Yankees visit the Tigers today at Joker Marchant Stadium. A few things to watch:

-- Mark Prior makes his spring training debut for the Yankees. The former Cubs star is trying to make the club as a relief pitcher.

-- Russell Martin will also see his first Grapefruit League action. He will DH after missing the first two games with right knee stiffness related to his offseason surgery. Yankees manager Joe Girardi said he will watch how Martin moves today. He will likely DH once more before playing in the field for the first time.

Full Article

We could have traded away Montero for half a season of Cliff Lee. Thankfully, the deal didn't go down and we still have Jesus. No big name signings? No problem. Let's play it smart.

Pitchers and catchers report: February 14.

I have little doubt that had the Yankees dealt for Cliff Lee they would have got a contract extension done, not only that, his wife would have never been harassed :lol: considering 3 of your top 5 prospects are catchers, might have not been a bad deal.

Funny, I just went to talk about Bartolo Colon and the first word I wrote was Joba. #fatties

Colon pitched three scoreless with 5 K's, Prior pitched a perfect 8th with 2 K's, and Man Ban looked ridiculous. Can't wait for that kid to be in the Bronx.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Montero is really hitting well in AAA so far, 19/42 .452/.452/.595 (3 2B, 1 HR) so far this year. Russell the Muscle seems entrenched for the time being, but I really don't put it out of the question that Montero could get a call-up at some point this season to split backup C/DH/etc duties.

Another surprising name.. Jorge Vazquez. Signed as a international FA out of Mexico in 2008, he's grown into a quite impressive power hitter (in the minors, at least). Had a sick spring training campaign, going 14/32 .438 (3 2B, 3 HR), and is 15/43 .349/.370/.860 (1 2B, 7 HR) so far in AAA this year. Seems unfortunate that he's got A-Rod/Tex/Chavez blocking him on the corners, but I can see him getting the first nod if Posada gets hurt and that DH spot opens up.

Also wouldn't be surprised to see Andrew Sisco or Buddy Carlyle up with the big club soon, now that Feliciano is probably going to end up needing surgery. I think they need another lefty alongside Boone Logan, he's been struggling.

Had a sick spring training campaign, going 14/32 .438 (3 2B, 3 HR), and is 15/43 .349/.370/.860 (1 2B, 7 HR) so far in AAA this year. Seems unfortunate that he's got A-Rod/Tex/Chavez blocking him on the corners, but I can see him getting the first nod if Posada gets hurt and that DH spot opens up.

lol Waldo, did you read my post? Or were you just reinforcing my points?

• 3 weeks later...

Posada is still struggling, so I don't see why the Yankees shouldn't consider calling up Vazquez or Montero. I would send Nunez back so he can return to an everyday role, while Pena can be the utility infielder. Vazquez is hitting .293/.315/.537, Montero .354/.370/.438.

Both Girardi and Cashman have been supportive of Posada, but I don't see why they shouldn't give him at least a couple days off.