Jay Cutler's injury...

Lkr

Its true that guys such as Elway, Rivers, Doug Williams, played on bad knees. What you forget is that they all left the games with the injury. They returned the next week after they were fitted with a custom knee brace.

This is important. Knee tendon injuries hurt stability. You need a brace or some kind of orthopedic support to play.

People talk about toughness. Hines Ward, maybe the toughest player in the NFL had to leave a playoff game with a sprained MCL a few years ago.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/playoffs2008/news/story?id=3843412

Same exact situation. Left in 2nd quarter, tried to come back, couldn't do it and missed the 2nd half.

Also, Rivers credit for gutting it out but the fact is he caused more harm to the team. He finished with a QB rating of 46.2 with 2 INTS and no TDS. And thats the following week of his injury, you know when he was pulled out of the colts game where the injury took place. He was also given two cortosone shots to his leg, something Jay could not have gotten because of his diabetes. People need to understand the severity of diabetes. You are restricted from taking certain meds.

Edited by Dabearfan101

This is really just a matter of opinion I believe. I'm in the play through the pain because you sometimes only have one shot at something in your life and then that moment is over.

Heck for high school football I tore my rotator cuff muscles where I could barely raise my right hand playing left tackle with an ankle that after the finals, I wasn't allowed to walk on for almost a week and the most famous I knew I was getting was to be in a local paper.

Gotta factor in the fact they were already down by 14 at half so maybe he didn't want to be that guy who ruined his career. Especailly with millions of dollars on the line maybe you think differently.

Personally I think he should have gone. I don't know why everyone is saying his teammates stood behind him because of course they did...they are his teammates and clearly good ones.

If the MRI had came back negative I would be all for ripping Cutler a new [expletive]. But now that the results show that he really was injured, I feel as if some people are stretching to all different types of extremes to try and justify their initial reaction to the injury. Just my 2 cents.

• Like 1

Fans on Jay Cutler: he didn't go back in the game he's a [expletive] and cost his team the game.

Fans on Brett Favre: he played injured and cost his team the game thanks to his streak obsession.

the hell is this? Favre never cost anyone a game because of his injuries. Favre "caused" a loss because of his play style. But one can argue those teams would never have even been in the position WITHOUT Favre.

that's a two possession game lol.

Just stop. It is obvious you didn't watch the game. A two possession game doesn't mean crap when the offense can't get a drive going.

As for the whole Polamalu thing, the reason he was out was to rest for the post season. There is a big difference between resting for the post season and not playing during the post season. I'm sure Polamalu would have played through the pain during a post season game, but then again, its hard to compare offensive players pain threshold to defensive players.

Edited by Lkr

the hell is this? Favre never cost anyone a game because of his injuries. Favre "caused" a loss because of his play style. But one can argue those teams would never have even been in the position WITHOUT Favre.

Who cares everyone know the Jets story where they started out 8-3 and ended 9-7 because Favre played with a serious injury.

People who continue to slam Cutler are absolute morons. CUTLER TRIED TO PLAY AND HE WAS DOING BAD. HE DID THE MOST MATURE THING ANY PLAYER HAS DONE IN REALIZING HE WAS HURTING THE TEAM AND TAKING HIMSELF OUT OF THE GAME. WHAT THE [expletive] DO YOU WANT CUTLER TO DO ON THE SIDELINES? HOW MUCH CAN AN ATHLETE REALLY HELP HIS TEAM FROM THE SIDELINE? CALEB HAS ALL THE COACHES AND TEAMMATES AND FANS ENOUGH IN HIS EAR HE DOESN'T NEED ANYTHING MORE THAN WHAT CUTLER DID FOR HIM AND THAT'S CALM HIM DOWN.

Cutler slammers eat your crow, Cutler was right in everything he did in this situation and the criticism he is receiving is ridiculous. DO YOU REALLY THINK HE WANTED TO COME OUT OF THE NFC CHAMPIONSHIP GAME?! GTFO.

If the MRI had came back negative I would be all for ripping Cutler a new [expletive]. But now that the results show that he really was injured, I feel as if some people are stretching to all different types of extremes to try and justify their initial reaction to the injury. Just my 2 cents.

oh, that's a fact.

Just stop. It is obvious you didn't watch the game. A two possession game doesn't mean crap when the offense can't get a drive going.

look, you can disagree with me all you want, but don't tell me what I did and didn't do. I watched the whole game. it was a two possession game at that point - you're arguing against facts right now. teams can improve in the second half and turn things around, it happens all the time.

• Owner

Give me a break.

First off, being a professional athlete doesn't compensate for the extra 100+ pounds Cutler has weighing on his ligaments. That logic is flawed. The bigger you are, the more succeptable (sp?) you are to injury.

Secondly, playing high school basketball in practice is WAY different than being hit by pro NFL athletes. I've played through injuries in basketball that there is no way I would have been able to play on in football, let alone on a pro level. There is reason why simple things like ankle sprains sideline pro athletes for a long longer than they would sideline you or I in pickup games. As it is, the Bears offensive line is garbage, so an immobile Cutler would have been a lameduck, which would have caused him to perform even worse than he was already playing.

Professional athletes are ripping him a new one, the same pro athletes that have played injured before. You, me, or anyone on OTR doesn't need to say a damn thing about it, in that case, because obviously, we aren't professional athletes and we don't know.

I haven't heard a single person defend him yet, other than his teammates and some of you guys. When pro athletes, who should know best, are slamming the dude, it speaks volumes.

Maybe he should've been sitting on the sidelines, instead of standing up the entire time and moving around, acting like a backup QB that was watching the starter fight through a tough game.

If he was really hurt, and if he couldn't come back in, he [expletive]ed up with his body language, and it's still his fault. No sympathy towards him, whatsoever.

I haven't heard a single person defend him yet, other than his teammates and some of you guys. When pro athletes, who should know best, are slamming the dude, it speaks volumes.

Who else bashed him? Deion Sanders, who missed an average of 2 1/2 games per season over his career? Or MJD, who sat out the final two games of this year while his team was fighting for its playoff life? Funny hypocrites are funny. This is the second game Cutler's sat out in his NFL career.

Trent Dilfer, who played four full seasons in his thirteen year career? Antonio Pierce, who took himself out of the lineup last year and our defense promptly tanked afterward?

It's silly.

look, you can disagree with me all you want, but don't tell me what I did and didn't do. I watched the whole game. it was a two possession game at that point - you're arguing against facts right now. teams can improve in the second half and turn things around, it happens all the time.

if you watched the game, then you would know that there was more to it being a two possession game. the bears were getting out played and out coached in EVERY aspect. a two TD game is pretty out of reach unless you have some sort of momentum, something the Bears NEVER had in the game. Urlacher's pick? Offense does nothing. Briggs' crazy pick? Offense did nothing. Using the term two possession is also meaningless in football, because it can mean a 16 point game or a 6 point game as well. Say it as what it was - a 14 point game, close to being a blowout in football.

The head 
physician for the Los Angeles Dodgers said quarterback Jay Cutler should not have finished the game and insisted he was fortunate that he didn't endure a more serious knee injury.

"With a little bit more force, the next thing to go, in that situation, is the ACL," said Dr. Neal ElAttrache, the orthopedic surgeon at Kerlan-Jobe Orthopaedic Clinic in Los Angeles and team doctor for Dodgers. "So anybody who has a Grade II or Grade III that doesn't have an ACL injury is lucky."

http://blogs.suntimes.com/bears/2011/01/two_physicians_say_jay_cutler.html

So assuming that he does have a Grade II or III MCL tear, there's no way he could perform adequately. By playing him, you are risking his health even more or threatening his play next season.

Just reverse it, and imagine if this was your franchise QB. Would you want him to play, if it means the longevity of his career is in jeopardy?

Fine, you can complain about his demeanor, yeah he could have been doing more on the sidelines instead of sulking, but that's just how some people deal with things. He was probably livid that he couldn't help his team, and that's how he responded.

Who else bashed him? Deion Sanders, who missed an average of 2 1/2 games per season over his career? Or MJD, who sat out the final two games of this year while his team was fighting for its playoff life? Funny hypocrites are funny. This is the second game Cutler's sat out in his NFL career.

Trent Dilfer, who played four full seasons in his thirteen year career? Antonio Pierce, who took himself out of the lineup last year and our defense promptly tanked afterward?

It's silly.

one of the ESPN guys blasted him too saying that after 20 knee surgeries, he would have had to be carried off on a stretcher to not play.

Professional athletes are ripping him a new one, the same pro athletes that have played injured before. You, me, or anyone on OTR doesn't need to say a damn thing about it, in that case, because obviously, we aren't professional athletes and we don't know.

Maybe he should've been sitting on the sidelines, instead of standing up the entire time and moving around, acting like a backup QB that was watching the starter fight through a tough game.

You're completely wrong if you think there's no one defending him besides his teammates and some people on OTR. I've been exposed to about 20min of sports today; 15min of sports radio, and 5min of ESPN. In the 15min of sports radio, Mike Francesa was defending him, and thought it was ridiculous that people are condemning Cutler for yesterday when he would have been questionable at best had the Bears made the Super Bowl. In the 5min I watched ESPN, I heard Drew Brees, a fellow QB, saying the hate was undeserved and that you can't rip a guy apart without knowing the severity of the injury. That's just from what I heard. And I'd expect former players to say that; they have that jacked up testosterone and mentality to say those kinds of things, but fact of the matter is they are in the exact same position we are judging Cutler's injury. Unless they had the same exact injury and were in the same exact situation, they are just as ignorant to it as you or I.

And he DID try and test it out, in the 3rd quarter...and he couldn't go, period. Do you question Hines Ward, who a poster in this thread showed had the same injury and couldn't play out that specific game?

If he was really hurt, and if he couldn't come back in, he [expletive]ed up with his body language, and it's still his fault. No sympathy towards him, whatsoever.

You may have no sympathy for him, but your reasoning as to why it's "his fault" is irrational. Just because he had poor body language doesn't mean a guy with a ligament tear should re-enter a game where he would have been a lameduck behind a crappy offensive line. When you factor in he's the franchise QB, it makes even less sense.

EVERY guy in that game was playing hurt! you don't make it to this part of the season w/o injuries, players feel you need to suck it up

i understand that but his actions have left him open for criticism. There is a perceived lack of effort to play hurt.

Players criticism of Cutler has nothing to do with how bad he was hurt. Its the perceived lack of effort or attempt to play hurt!

As a guy how had 20 knee surgeries you'd have to drag me out on a stretcher to Leave a championship game!

http://twitter.com/#!/markschlereth

EVERY guy in that game was playing hurt! you don't make it to this part of the season w/o injuries, players feel you need to suck it up

i understand that but his actions have left him open for criticism. There is a perceived lack of effort to play hurt.

Players criticism of Cutler has nothing to do with how bad he was hurt. Its the perceived lack of effort or attempt to play hurt!

As a guy how had 20 knee surgeries you'd have to drag me out on a stretcher to Leave a championship game!

http://twitter.com/#!/markschlereth

I didn't read this whole thread - but if you're trying to say Jay Cutler should've played on a torn MCL then you're out of your mind.

I think we are all missing the main point. THE OFFENSE DID BETTER WITHOUT INJURED CUTLER IN THERE. What he did he did for the good of the team, and if that makes you a [expletive], then all pro athletes should be pussies.

And, if Cutler played, and his play was noticably making him perform poorly, you guys would be saying he was hurting his team by playing. Who knows what level he could have performed at with his injury.

Also, it's funny seeing ChosenOne in here trying to bash Jay Cutler, when Ladanien Tomlinson did the same thing, but worse.

chosenone bashed Tomlinson for it though iirc.

I didn't read this whole thread - but if you're trying to say Jay Cutler should've played on a torn MCL then you're out of your mind.

that's what they're all saying lol, besides me and a couple others. it's like they all think it's a conspiracy. he intentionally missed out on the biggest half of his career because he didn't want to get owned or something like that, I still don't understand it fully. they were down by two touchdowns at the half. it's not like the game was totally out of reach, not even close. to think he did this on purpose, for whatever reason, it's crazy.

The funniest part of this thread is people who probably dont even play sports or played through a major injury, are bashing Cutler for not playing on an MCL tear. Oh how easy it is to bash someone from your couch while eating potato chips. :lol:

Edited by kingfish

I would've rather had Caleb Hanie playing out there like he did then have Jay Cutler throwing the ball like he did on the 3rd and 6 when he completely missed Hester throwing off his back foot. At that point he was 6 for 14 for 80 yards, I think the correct choice is to bring him out anyways. He wasn't moving the offense anywhere.

BTW people talking about Philip Rivers and playing with the torn ACL (which was surgically repaired earlier in the week he left the game in which he injured it), he was 19/37 for 211 yards 0 TD's 2 INT's -- he sucked

It really didn't matter in that case though, the Chargers were [expletive]ed no matter what against the Patriots that year. I think Rivers gets the praise because he went out there and put an effort forward - something a franchise quarterback is expected to do. If you're hobbled, give your team the best you've got, because its better than what your backup can do(unless your back up is Vick)

But like its been said, Hanie played much better than Cutler could have dreamed of in a big game, so you learn that about Cutler as well.

Edited by Lkr

It really didn't matter in that case though, the Chargers were [expletive]ed no matter what against the Patriots that year. I think Rivers gets the praise because he went out there and put an effort forward - something a franchise quarterback is expected to do. If you're hobbled, give your team the best you've got, because its better than what your backup can do(unless your back up is Vick)

But like its been said, Hanie played much better than Cutler could have dreamed of in a big game, so you learn that about Cutler as well.

Yes becuase it's not like Cutler didn't just dominate the Seahawks last week in the first playoff game of his career. Volek led a comeback drive to upset the Colts the previous week, I don't see how you can say the Chargers would have had no chance.