Jay Cutler's injury...

Lkr

I don't think he was in that much pain, at all...because he sure the hell didn't look like it, and he was standing around like he wasn't, with full range on his knee, and he never needed assistance to get off the field, never showed us the play he was injured on, and didn't know he had a tear in his MCL.

You, me, and the rest of this world don't know how high his tolerance for pain is.

but one fact remains... HE WAS INJURED.

• Owner
Neither did other players with similar injuries, such as Hines Ward. There are other players with simple injuries like ankle sprains that miss weeks. Not because they aren't tough or don't care, but because they simply couldn't play on a pro level with those injuries.

Hines Ward runs to get the football. If he can't run, he's completely irrelevant to the game. He can't block on a bad leg, can't run, can't do anything. Let's stop comparing him to Cutler. As long as Favre had his throwing arm, he was throwing touchdowns. Injure his arm to where he can't throw? He sits. It's actually that simple. Break Rivers' arm, he doesn't throw the ball...and he doesn't play. Vick didn't even heal up from his rib injury, and he came back early. If he could lift his throwing arm at the time of the injury, he would've played the following week. Brady's fractured foot didn't keep him out of the game vs. the Jets because he doesn't throw with his foot, and he doesn't kick field goals. Plenty of other examples, but there's no point because you're dead set on what you're told, just like you were when LeBron hurt his elbow (which he should've sat out for because it was a tear, of course...but that's basketball, and you should never miss games from such a sissy sport just because of a simple tear).

Whats up with you and bringing completely unrelated things into this? If the tear was suverely affecting Kobe's play and it ended up costing them I'm sure you would feel completely different about this.

LOL, so bringing up Ward or Polamalu isn't unrelated, but bringing up Kobe Bryant is?

What if I brought up Mark Schlereth, who had around 20 knee surgeries during his football career? He was against Cutler's actions as well.

You do know the tear did affect his play, and it did hurt the Lakers for a while, right? But, instead of having the surgery and us having to start Shannon Brown in his place, he kept playing.

So to defend an athlete you have to be related to them? Are you related to Kobe Bryant? :lol: and completely false, I would call MJD stupid to his face for saying that [expletive].

I wouldn't have to defend Kobe Bryant for anything like this, because he would play.

If Kobe decided he was going to sit during the NBA Finals because his knee was swelling up, I would be pissed because players have played through it before, and he could get it drained.

And you would never call MJD stupid to his face, because I know I wouldn't even be that ignorant to get my face re-arranged and have Grade III sprains on all of my limbs. Get real dude. That is seriously something bearsfan would say he would do.

(some other stuff people keep saying...)

It's whatever. When people get hurt, they know when they do it. He didn't. Sounds stupid as [expletive] to me, and fake as hell also. Grade I sprain suffered in the Bears/Pack game, or Grade II sprain he suffered well before the game was even played. LeBron had a ligament tear in his elbow, also...we guess. Get pissed.

Discussion over on my end. You guys can just praise Cutler the rest of the way, I guess.

At the end of the day Cutler did the right thing for the team as opposed to being selfish and doing right himself. I don't see how this can ever be considered a bad thing...

Btw if MJD (one of my favorite players) was dumb enough to retaliate when I called him stupid I'd end up making millions of suing him :)

Btw Kobe playing injured never hurt the Lakers sure they weren't at full strenth but it's far better than Shannon brown starting as you said. This situation is different because there actually was a better player to fill in for Cutler. Comparing Cutler to Kobe is straight ridiculous anyway because Cutler is even a pro bowler Kobe is a HoF

Edited by fish7718

• Owner

Before I log off and go to bed...the perfect example was Andrew Bynum.

Here's a guy with a history of knee injuries, a 285-pound athlete (much heavier than Cutler, of course) who uses his knees for posting up, rebounding, jumping an entire game, who tore his meniscus in the first round against the Thunder...and he played the rest of the way, to the Finals, and won a championship, then got his surgery.

Signed, sealed and delivered.

• Like 1

Hines Ward runs to get the football. If he can't run, he's completely irrelevant to the game. He can't block on a bad leg, can't run, can't do anything. Let's stop comparing him to Cutler. As long as Favre had his throwing arm, he was throwing touchdowns. Injure his arm to where he can't throw? He sits. It's actually that simple. Break Rivers' arm, he doesn't throw the ball...and he doesn't play. Vick didn't even heal up from his rib injury, and he came back early. If he could lift his throwing arm at the time of the injury, he would've played the following week. Brady's fractured foot didn't keep him out of the game vs. the Jets because he doesn't throw with his foot, and he doesn't kick field goals. Plenty of other examples, but there's no point because you're dead set on what you're told, just like you were when LeBron hurt his elbow (which he should've sat out for because it was a tear, of course...but that's basketball, and you should never miss games from such a sissy sport just because of a simple tear).

QB's use their legs to generate enough power to throw the deep ball, and every single time he throws he has to plant with that leg. On top of that, how many times do QB's get hit during the game? Quite a bit, especially Cutler playing behind the worst offensive line in the league. Cutler, unlike Brady, is also a mobile QB who relies on his legs to make plays, even if it's just simple rollouts or off broken plays ala Big Ben. And Vick did miss about 3 games (the one he injured it in along with I believe 2 after that) with his rib injury.

And WTF does LeBron have to do with anything? From what I remember that was just a strain, and I do believe it affected his performance a bit. I don't even know what you're trying to get at here, just bringing up random [expletive] things and comparing two completely different sports.

One final time- If the Bears won, Cutler would be questionable to doubtful for the Super Bowl. If it wasn't serious enough to cause pain, he would be a lock to play in the SB. The training staff...you know, professionals who were there when the injury happened and checked out his knee...concured that he couldn't return. How is that not enough for you? Just because he wasn't carted off the field and wasn't trying to fight coaches to get back in the game doesn't mean he wasn't hurting and he doesn't have a strong desire for the game.

Edited by Nitro

Charles Barkley was at Soldier Field on Sunday for the NFC Championship Game, and he said he knew Chicago Bears quarterback Jay Cutler was going to get criticized for leaving the game in the third quarter with a knee injury.

But what caught Barkley by surprise was the criticism of other players around the league via Twitter.

"I was mad at the players, to be honest with you," Barkley said Tuesday on "The Waddle & Silvy Show" on ESPN 1000. "I think it was inappropriate and wrong to question a guy's heart. Now reporters, they're going to do what they want to. They're entitled to their opinion. But as players, I don't think it's appropriate to question another guy's heart.

"That crosses the line, because you don't know. If you go back and start looking at all the stuff that's been said, and clearly one of the more vocal critics was Maurice Jones-Drew, and then you find out he missed the last two games with a bad knee. And he was really the first guy who crucified Jay. You have to be careful, because in the two most important games of the year, he sat out with a bad knee. And then it really makes him look like an idiot now."

http://m.espn.go.com/nfl/story?storyId=6057618&top

He went on to say he was disappointed Cutler wasn't in Hanie's ear more with coaching/instruction, and that criticizing him for that is fair. Said he knows he gave him some words, but he should have been there the whole time.

Jay Cutler and girlfriend Kristin Cavallari dined at Mastro's Steakhouse on Sunday after the Bears' 21-14 loss to the Packers in the NFC championship game.

Cutler, who left the game in the third quarter with a knee injury, was not on crutches but "he limped a tiny bit," according to a source. The couple was joined by 11 other people in Mastro's private upstairs dining room, and our spies tell us that he took the stairs rather than the elevator.

It was the second time in as many weeks Cutler and Cavallari dined at the River North establishment. They had dinner at Mastro's after the Bears' playoff win over the Seahawks on Jan. 16.

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2011-01-24/sports/ct-spt-0125-bears-cutler-night-out--20110124_1_stair-bike-bears

The fact that this is news made me laugh so hard

• Like 2

Reminds me of the '05 playoffs when Carson Palmer hurt his knee and didn't even show the resolve and toughness to stay out there and lead his team to victory. I've seen players play through worse, I mean, look at Philip Rivers.

Pansy obviously didn't care about his team/teammates, I don't even think he came back to the sidelines. Sad.

• Like 1

Palmer's injury was a LOT more serious.

btw, how is bearfans sig coming along?

I know friendo, some degree of exaggeration was supposed to be evident.

I get home tonight, if the roads aren't too bad. I'll crack on it then.

Sidenote: Fish's observation is a true one.

I think the real problem with this story is that he gave a 500 dollar tip?????? On top of the 20% of the bill? What a jerk

i also heard he stood on both feet while taking a piss, what a jackass!!

Oh, you can walk with a torn mcl you're just missing stability, so give it a rest.

BTW, sanchez was out partying and clubbing after his playoff loss, I think you may be surprised what a lot of these athletes do in their free time after the games/practices.

"I was real disappointed, to be honest with you," Rodgers said Wednesday. "I've known Jay for a few years now and know what kind of competitor he is. I thought it was disrespectful, some of the stuff said about him."

"To attack a guy's toughness, when you're not playing in the game especially, I thought was very inappropriate," Rodgers said.

John Madden calling cutler a "role model" to kids with diabetes, a tough guy, and yells "hell with demeanor" to critics, on his latest Sirius talk.

I posted this in the game thread back last week but I guess no one saw it.

To all the people hating on Cutler, give me an example of something that has happened in Cutler's past that would suggest he tapped out of the game?

Dude was hurt and couldn't play. Plain and simple.

I posted this in the game thread back last week but I guess no one saw it.

To all the people hating on Cutler, give me an example of something that has happened in Cutler's past that would suggest he tapped out of the game?

Dude was hurt and couldn't play. Plain and simple.

Josh McDaniels hired in Denver

Give it a rest, just admit that your strong hatred for cutler is skewing your mental judgment. you can walk just fine with a mcl tear.

And for those who still question Jay Cutlers demanor, maybe you should listen to some John Madden insight.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kg59d5-fkVU

"Demeanor, HELL...! What, you want him to smile more!? You're tryin to make a phony outta someone who's not phony."

"To say he's not tough, well you're WRONG!"

"People are a lot tougher sittin on their couch in their underwear than they are on the field"

"People think they know, and they don't. They don't know."

Amid questions that he didn't try hard enough to play through a knee injury, Bears quarterback Jay Cutler received a painkiller shot at halftime of the NFC title game, a source close to the situation told the Sun-Times.

It's believed Cutler injured his knee on the first play of the second quarter, when Green Bay Packers defensive lineman Ryan Pickett landed on his left knee, as he attempted a short pass to running back Matt Forte. Cutler headed to the locker room for halftime ahead of his teammates, and doctors and trainers confirmed their initial, on-field assessment.

It's believed the team planned to shelve him for the remainder of the game, at that point. But that Cutler insisted on trying to play and received a painkiller injection to ease the pain.

He returned to the field a few minutes after the rest of his teammates, and he led the offense on the opening series of the second half. But on a handoff to Forte, Cutler's knee buckled, and he left the game for good after that three-and-out series.

On Monday morning, an MRI showed that Cutler suffered a Grade II MCL tear, an injury that typically sidelines athletes for three to six weeks.

http://blogs.suntimes.com/bears/2011/02/jay_cutler_received_painkiller.html