Jay Cutler's injury...

Lkr

Is it the NFC Championship game?

Does it matter? If I'm hurt, I'm hurt.

Has it occurred to anyone that maybe, just maybe that Cutler felt that the team would be better off with a healthy backup QB instead of looking like a big-shot for the media?

Edited by Dash

Read Real Deal's post about his brothers torn MCL and get back to me.

So you're saying that Real Deal's little brother playing through the terrors of Freshman basketball practice for a week is a better indicator than a wildman, all heart NFL safety who missed week after week with the same injury (but likely a different degree, which you're ignoring from the start)?

If nothing else, it shows you that not all injuries are the same, and you can't make ignorant assumptions because you hate the guy.

Then again, you said he wasn't hurt at all... So maybe none of this even matters.

Edited by IllWill21

So you're saying that Real Deal's little brother playing through the terrors of Freshman basketball practice for a week is a better indicator than a wildman, all heart NFL safety who missed week after week with the same injury?

If nothing else, it shows you that not all injuries are the same, and you can't make ignorant assumptions because you hate the guy.

Then again, you said he wasn't hurt at all... So maybe none of this even matters.

DBF stated you can't play on a MCL sprain. And I'm saying RD's bro played basketball on a MCL tear, it might not be as intense as pro football but it's still going to put a lot of pressure and movement on that knee.

DBF stated you can't play on a MCL sprain. And I'm saying RD's bro played basketball on a MCL tear, it might not be as intense as pro football but it's still going to put a lot of pressure and movement on that knee.

First things first... you know that a sprain is a tear, right? And that there are different degrees of sprain which have different degrees of tear?

RD's bro practiced Freshman basketball on an MCL sprain... as he told us. Troy Polamalu missed weeks of NFL football with an MCL sprain this season. Again, different degrees of sprain, different degrees of pain threshold. Are you going to call Polamalu a [expletive] and say that he should have been out there, making his money and helping his team win games?

Or is it just because you dislike Jay Cutler? Because I think we already know the answer.

• Owner

For one, my brother was advised to sit out the entire week, and beyond that, to avoid a complete tear. What was Troy's grade?

I'd like to know what the grade was for Jay, exactly. If it was a Grade III, I completely understand why he was sitting. Partial tear is a Grade II, depends on how much pain he can handle.

If it was a minor sprain, though, a Grade I, he's a complete sissy.

• Like 1

First things first... you know that a sprain is a tear, right? And that there are different degrees of sprain which have different degrees of tear?

RD's bro practiced Freshman basketball on an MCL sprain... as he told us. Troy Polamalu missed weeks of NFL football with an MCL sprain this season. Again, different degrees of sprain, different degrees of pain threshold. Are you going to call Polamalu a [expletive] and say that he should have been out there, making his money and helping his team win games?

Or is it just because you dislike Jay Cutler? Because I think we already know the answer.

Why do you keep comparing Cutler to Polamalu? I don't like Polamalu either, but I don't hate him because his track record clearly states that he's never quit on his team. Plus I'm sure his injury was far less severe than Cutler's. Fact of the matter is Cutler probably could have played more on that knee. Would it have made a difference in the final outcome? Maybe not. But he's the quarterback who gives them the best chance to win.

Fans on Jay Cutler: he didn't go back in the game he's a [expletive] and cost his team the game.

Fans on Brett Favre: he played injured and cost his team the game thanks to his streak obsession.

First off LMAO whether it was a sprain or tear.

why would he have ever played at all in the second half if you don't think he wanted to be out there? why wouldn't he have just sat out the entire half?

You answer my question by asking me two more...lol nice. He went out there so he could fake a limp off the field after the first possession so people could say he is hurt.

like I said in my last post, I highly doubt he would sit out if he wasn't legitimately hurt. I just don't think he or any starting quarterback would say, 'hey, it's the second half, this may very well be the biggest game of my life, and the game's still in reach, but it's cool, I'm just gonna sit it out and watch us lose instead.' sorry man, I don't believe that for a second.

A MCL sprain/tear.....yeah this only proves my point of him being a [expletive] and not willing to play through a little bit of pain. and for him the game was well out of reach he was getting owned out there and he knew it.

did you even see the Urlacher post-game interview? he was defending Cutler like he was God. you're right, he was probably going to defend Cutler no matter what, but he didn't have to be as adamant about it as he was. I think that shows Urlacher was genuine about what he was saying.

Yes i saw it and imo he did what he had to, I don't see Urlacher as the guy who will talk bad about his QB, no matter what he feels about the dude.

and that's the problem, unfortunately.

How is me calling it the way I see it a problem?

but you don't know the severity of the injury, so how could you possibly say other quarterbacks would have gone out there? that's like judging an actor without seeing the movie.

lol terrible example. At worst it could have been what? a tear of ACL/MCL? lol. Also I KNOW because I have seen it, players play through injuries, players put there bodies on the line to win for not only themselves but for their team, especially QBs who can get extra protection anytime.

I never defended Cutler. I simply made the point of people prejudging him. to say he's a [expletive] for not sustaining an injury when no one even knows the severity of said injury - something's wrong with that picture.

Sure man sure.

Why do you keep comparing Cutler to Polamalu?

Because they both play NFL football, and are more relevant to each other than RD's brother. You can't call Cutler a coward and still respect Troy, who sat out 3-6 weeks with a similar injury.

I don't like Polamalu either, but I don't hate him because his track record clearly states that he's never quit on his team.

When did Cutler quit on his team? In the offseason, after ownership fired his coach and traded his runningback? After his new coach (who has been run out of town already; no surprise) came in like a stonehanded tyrant? Come on.

Plus I'm sure his injury was far less severe than Cutler's. Fact of the matter is Cutler probably could have played more on that knee. Would it have made a difference in the final outcome? Maybe not. But he's the quarterback who gives them the best chance to win.

If Jay Cutler felt he was giving his team the best chance to win, and that his knee was healthy enough to play 30 minutes of game on, he would have been out there. There is nothing else telling me otherwise. He missed one game this season after being concussed against the Giants, and before that, didn't sit a game since being named the starter in '06. Come on.

Edited by IllWill21

For one, my brother was advised to sit out the entire week, and beyond that, to avoid a complete tear. What was Troy's grade?

I'm not doubting your brother fought through it, in fact I noted pain threshold as one of the reasons why you can't use that to downplay Cutler's injury. I think Troy's was a 2 or a 3.

I'd like to know what the grade was for Jay, exactly. If it was a Grade III, I completely understand why he was sitting. Partial tear is a Grade II, depends on how much pain he can handle.

Early reports said it was a 2.

• Owner

I'm not doubting your brother fought through it, in fact I noted pain threshold as one of the reasons why you can't use that to downplay Cutler's injury. I think Troy's was a 2 or a 3.

Early reports said it was a 2.

People may have a right to be upset, then, because there are athletes that have played on a Grade 2 sprain, and there isn't much of a difference between playing football at a pro level, and playing basketball in high school, when we're talking mobility. Both are running as hard as they possibly can, one is pivoting and stepping into crossovers and slides, the other is stepping into throws.

Thing is, one is a finely-tuned professional athlete, the other was a high school freshman.

If it's based on just pain alone, well, Cutler should've been playing in the biggest game of his career to date.

• Owner

By the way, everyone on NFL Live is throwing him under the bus AFTER knowing the Grade 2 sprain.

They're also mentioning all of the players that are tweeting about it and smashing Cutler for what he did (or, well, didn't do)...had no idea there were pro players doing that.

So, I guess that has to mean something. It's the NFC Championship game, to go to the Super Bowl, to go out and do something you fight for every day of your career. I'm starting to side with all of them on this.

People may have a right to be upset, then, because there are athletes that have played on a Grade 2 sprain, and there isn't much of a difference between playing football at a pro level, and playing basketball in high school, when we're talking mobility. Both are running as hard as they possibly can, one is pivoting and stepping into crossovers and slides, the other is stepping into throws.

Thing is, one is a finely-tuned professional athlete, the other was a high school freshman.

If it's based on just pain alone, well, Cutler should've been playing in the biggest game of his career to date.

Mobility and cuts may be the same, but you also have to keep in mind that your brother probably weighed about 100 pounds and didn't have the same pressure on the ligament that Jay Cutler and his 233 pounds did. Or Polamalu and his 207 pounds.

There are athletes who have played on broken legs/ankles/fresh surgeries... But that doesn't mean everyone can do it. Dude was hurt and couldn't go, bottom line.

Bears quarterback Jay Cutler suffered a medial collateral ligament tear in Sunday's 21-14 loss to the Packers.

http://football.realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/20246/20110124/report_cutler_has_torn_mcl/#ixzz1BzQjg5Sb

well, we know now that he tore his MCL, but I'm sure that's still not enough for most of you. it's cool. if y'all wanna believe he sat out the biggest game of his life just cuz, idk why, that's your prerogative. I'll go ahead and continue not to judge people and situations until I know the facts.

• Owner

Mobility and cuts may be the same, but you also have to keep in mind that your brother probably weighed about 100 pounds and didn't have the same pressure on the ligament that Jay Cutler and his 233 pounds did. Or Polamalu and his 207 pounds.

There are athletes who have played on broken legs/ankles/fresh surgeries... But that doesn't mean everyone can do it. Dude was hurt and couldn't go, bottom line.

Being a professional athlete compensates for the increased weight. And I'm sure my brother wasn't 100 pounds as a 15 year old. That's ridiculously thin.

He's an athlete, on the biggest stage of his career. Jim Rome is on right now...and he's even wondering why Cutler couldn't remember when it happened if it was bad enough to keep him out, and how Cutler "hurt himself with terrible body language" and why he didn't slap a brace on and give it a go, why weren't there team doctors or trainers trying to get him into the game, etc. Why the team was quick to defend him WITHOUT knowing the results of the MRI. Why Rivers played with a torn ACL in a playoff game, but Cutler didn't with the partial tear in the MCL.

Sounds like a lot of people - athletes and football analysts - aren't defending him. But, I digress.

http://football.realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/20246/20110124/report_cutler_has_torn_mcl/#ixzz1BzQjg5Sb

well, we know now that he tore his MCL, but I'm sure that's still not enough for most of you. it's cool. if y'all wanna believe he sat out the biggest game of his life just cuz, idk why, that's your prerogative. I'll go ahead and continue not to judge people and situations until I know the facts.

Tears and sprains are the same in the MCL if it's not a Grade I.

I think he sat out the biggest game of his career because they were down 14-0 at the half, and Cutler was getting destroyed and feared he would end up like Joe Theismann by the time the game was over. Like I said, there are examples of players acting that way...Ryan Leaf did it.

All that needs to be said is this: there are players that have played with a Grade II sprain (partial tear). Cutler didn't, in the NFC Championship game, and while he wasn't playing, he was walking around normally, standing up most of the game, and didn't show any effort on the sidelines with any type of brace, or pain meds, anything...and that's why he's being criticized.

Being a professional athlete compensates for the increased weight. And I'm sure my brother wasn't 100 pounds as a 15 year old. That's ridiculously thin.

Eh, I get what you're saying, and I probably exaggerated the weight for your brother. But I don't think being a professional athlete compensates at all for pain in a torn ligament, and the extra weight hurts more with every ounce of pressure regardless of being well seasoned. I don't think you can really train your body to better receive a torn ligament.

He's an athlete, on the biggest stage of his career. Jim Rome is on right now...and he's even wondering why Cutler couldn't remember when it happened if it was bad enough to keep him out, and how Cutler "hurt himself with terrible body language" and why he didn't slap a brace on and give it a go, why weren't there team doctors or trainers trying to get him into the game, etc. Why the team was quick to defend him WITHOUT knowing the results of the MRI. Why Rivers played with a torn ACL in a playoff game, but Cutler didn't with the partial tear in the MCL.

I think it's split 50/50 down the middle with guys bashing him and guy saying whoa he tore a ligament in his knee... and I think it mostly has to do with perception of Jay Cutler the man. He hasn't given off a great aura, and it may be why he's receiving such negativity. I've just never seen evidence of him as a quitter, as this situation would suggest if he did pull himself without reason.

• Owner

Something to note as well...put this on my life, when I walked back in the house during the third quarter, and saw Cutler standing around and not playing, and Collins in there getting killed, I immediately asked why the hell he wasn't playing.

There is no injury I can think of that would allow him to stand up, walk around, receive no immediate medical attention, AND keep him out of the most important game of his career. The Grade II sprain is probably the smallest tear he could possibly have, or else he would've been sitting down with his leg out, not bending it, not being able to balance as he stood up.

Two people on Rome, two people saying players have a right to question his heart and toughness. Those players (also) would know better than any fan out there, especially D-Sanders and MJD.

Give me a break.

First off, being a professional athlete doesn't compensate for the extra 100+ pounds Cutler has weighing on his ligaments. That logic is flawed. The bigger you are, the more succeptable (sp?) you are to injury.

Secondly, playing high school basketball in practice is WAY different than being hit by pro NFL athletes. I've played through injuries in basketball that there is no way I would have been able to play on in football, let alone on a pro level. There is reason why simple things like ankle sprains sideline pro athletes for a long longer than they would sideline you or I in pickup games. As it is, the Bears offensive line is garbage, so an immobile Cutler would have been a lameduck, which would have caused him to perform even worse than he was already playing.

I think he sat out the biggest game of his career because they were down 14-0 at the half, and Cutler was getting destroyed and feared he would end up like Joe Theismann by the time the game was over. Like I said, there are examples of players acting that way...Ryan Leaf did it.

that's a two possession game lol. it's whatever. no one's gonna convince me and I'm sure I won't convince anyone. he made it to the NFC Championship, his teammates were defending him, and he has to tear his MCL in the biggest game of his life. he has all that happen just for people to bash him more and accuse him of giving up. I actually feel bad for the guy because I'm 99% sure he would have played if he was healthy, but... alright lol.

Edited by HOV

I think MJD is a bad choice firstly, as the two games he sat out this year, on an injury that wasn't as serious as the MCL sprain, likely caused his team a playoff berth. MJD, maybe if YOU sucked it up, YOUR team would have been playing for something and you could have shown your balls, Napoleon complex little nerd.

Deion, though he won hardware, missed a ton of games in his career. I can't say I saw his comments, but it better not have been about sucking up an injury, because he [expletive]ed out plenty in his career.

As I said earlier, he came out in the 2nd half and tried to suck it up and be a man, and couldn't go. He tried.

I'm with IllWill and Nitro here. People need to realize that all of this Cutler hate was uncalled for. He was injured. Also, you don't know that he wasn't being a "cheerleader" on the sideline. Just because the cameras were on him when he wasn't "cheering" them on doesn't mean he wasn't cheering them on at all. Honestly, people need to give this guy a break.