Nuggets Reach Tentative Agreement On Carmelo Trade

Celtics3420

I assume JYD will respond with a great post and fish with another dud but I do think Melo will end up as a Knick but I disagree that it would be destined for him and the Nets to do absolutely nothing with him on the roster.

Oh and the whole thing about Knicks with the draft picks still....Nets would still own EIGHT draft picks over the next three years if they traded away FOUR first rounders.

I really don't understand what fans have to do with anything to do with Carmelo? If the Nets head into Brooklyn with a winning team or at least an exciting team to watch there will be people in that STATE OF THE ART facility.

Most of your assumtion is speculation. They will still have the local NJ fans on top of the ones they win in Brooklyn but like I said I don't really know what the point of this is? Knicks are more attractive because they are the number one team in NY? What stops Melo from bringing a fan base to his birth place?

So your saying if Wade was in Toronto, Canada would have one of the most exciting NBA teams? C'mon now.

I just don't get how the Knicks have always been in New York yet suddenly it's a free agent hot spot for superstars yeeeeeeeeeeet they haven't even signed one yet.

Just my two cents.

NYC is the mecca of basketball. The Garden is a historical arena. The Knicks were a great franchise in the 70's and if Jordan didn't play, they would've won a champ or two in the 90's...

Anyway, My point is that NYK is still a more attractive team to go to for a Carmelo than the Nets. Even when they move to Brookyln. They are still the Nets. I hate to sound biased like that, but it's like the Yankees and Mets. It's like, one is "the franchise" with allure and history and the other has had it's bright moments, but the second class citizen of the city.

I know it sounds biased but it's just true. The Nets have a lot of nice young talent (favors and lopez) and those four first rounders I'd rather see them build with that then depleting their roster to get Melo so they can be a 7th or 8th seed at best and then back on getting some big name F.A.?

I assume JYD will respond with a great post and fish with another dud but I do think Melo will end up as a Knick but I disagree that it would be destined for him and the Nets to do absolutely nothing with him on the roster.

Oh and the whole thing about Knicks with the draft picks still....Nets would still own EIGHT draft picks over the next three years if they traded away FOUR first rounders.

Some of those could be lottery picks...at least this season.

Not saying the Nets couldn't build a team around Lopez and Anthony, it'd just be more difficult than it would be for the Knicks IMO.

NYC is the mecca of basketball. The Garden is a historical arena. The Knicks were a great franchise in the 70's and if Jordan didn't play, they would've won a champ or two in the 90's...

Anyway, My point is that NYK is still a more attractive team to go to for a Carmelo than the Nets. Even when they move to Brookyln. They are still the Nets. I hate to sound biased like that, but it's like the Yankees and Mets. It's like, one is "the franchise" with allure and history and the other has had it's bright moments, but the second class citizen of the city.

I know it sounds biased but it's just true. The Nets have a lot of nice young talent (favors and lopez) and those four first rounders I'd rather see them build with that then depleting their roster to get Melo so they can be a 7th or 8th seed at best and then back on getting some big name F.A.?

Some of those could be lottery picks...at least this season.

Not saying the Nets couldn't build a team around Lopez and Anthony, it'd just be more difficult than it would be for the Knicks IMO.

NYC is the mecca of basketball that has signed what superstar lately? Nets were great 2000 and if it wasn't for Shaquille O'Neal and Tim Duncan, we'd have two rings in recent years.

Second part is basely your and fellow Knick fans assumtion. Like I wrote before if the Nets can put a winner on the court as soon as they get there and say Knicks are still battling for 8th or something like that, you are saying that Nets would gain ZERO fans from the Knicks? Please.

They do have young talent but like I wrote above before we are still stock pilled with picks. We trade away four first rounders and we still have two which the Knicks currently don't even have theirs this year.

The whole point of a trade is to make your team better. Heck the Knicks just signed Amare to a huge contract and where do they sit in the East? Of course you'll say they have cap space to make the moves but that's the whole point I'm trying to show you is just because the current roster isn't better than the Knicks now....doesn't mean they couldn't overtake that title in one mere summer.

As for the lottery picks you are correct. Some may be lottery picks but almost all of them are protected or not even ours to begin with so it's not as big of a deal as it seems.

It's really just a matter of opinion. You say it's harder but with cap space, plenty of picks and a brand new home, I have to side with the opposite.

I get the trade isn't so good on the Nets side but how do the Nets not have a future even if they were to trade for him?

cuz you'd be trading everything but Lopez for Melo. those two guys alone can't get you a title. the only way it would work is if you got another superstar and I think that'd be relatively unlikely. imo, the Nets would be better off grooming Favors and their other young players now, using all those first round picks to get young, talented players, then maybe in a few years they could be a serious threat.

What was the Nuggets record before they drafted Carmelo? 17-65.

What was the Nuggets record the first season with him? 43-39.

that has nothing to do with anything. this is a different team in a different conference at a different time in league history.

I still don't think it'll happen but I heard the exact same thing with Kidd and he took us to two Finals in his first two years when he was traded here.

those teams were loaded - they had Kidd, Kittles, Jefferson, Martin, and some other good players all in their prime. that's a far cry from just Melo and Lopez.

I just don't get how the Knicks have always been in New York yet suddenly it's a free agent hot spot for superstars yeeeeeeeeeeet they haven't even signed one yet.

we got Amare who's a superstar in his prime.

up until this summer, there were never many free agent classes in the past decade that were just loaded with stars. at least not any where we actually had the money needed to get one of them. Walsh has been busting his [expletive], clearing salary for the last few years just so that we could make things better for the future. Zeke put us in such a horrible financial situation that we couldn't have signed anyone even if they wanted to play here.

but now, we finally cleared some space, got Amare, and who knows? maybe Melo and CP3 are on their way as well.

that's not overly impressive lol. most teams will have six draft picks over the same period of time and most of those teams will have more first round picks than the Nets as well.

NYC is the mecca of basketball that has signed what superstar lately?

Amare, plus another borderline star in Felton. :)

Heck the Knicks just signed Amare to a huge contract and where do they sit in the East?

higher than the Nets lol. we're still a really young team and we just started our rebuilding phase last summer. of course we're not going to be atop the conference yet.

cuz you'd be trading everything but Lopez for Melo. those two guys alone can't get you a title. the only way it would work is if you got another superstar and I think that'd be relatively unlikely. imo, the Nets would be better off grooming Favors and their other young players now, using all those first round picks to get young, talented players, then maybe in a few years they could be a serious threat.

that has nothing to do with anything. this is a different team in a different conference at a different time in league history.

those teams were loaded - they had Kidd, Kittles, Jefferson, Martin, and some other good players all in their prime. that's a far cry from just Melo and Lopez.

we got Amare who's a superstar in his prime.

up until this summer, there were never many free agent classes in the past decade that were just loaded with stars. at least not any where we actually had the money needed to get one of them. Walsh has been busting his [expletive], clearing salary for the last few years just so that we could make things better for the future. Zeke put us in such a horrible financial situation that we couldn't have signed anyone even if they wanted to play here.

but now, we finally cleared some space, got Amare, and who knows? maybe Melo and CP3 are on their way as well.

that's not overly impressive lol. most teams will have six draft picks over the same period of time and most of those teams will have more first round picks than the Nets as well.

Amare, plus another borderline star in Felton. :)

higher than the Nets lol. we're still a really young team and we just started our rebuilding phase last summer. of course we're not going to be atop the conference yet.

This post somehow manages to blow the other ones away. Do you read anything I wrote above?

First off for the millionth time, it would just be Melo and Lopez. I'm not even gonna add more because I wrote it like five times on this page.

It's a different time in history but is still the same player. If Kobe Bryant was a free agent and he was about to sign somewhere, would you expect his talent to not bring at least a playoff contender? Same thing for Melo.

Yeah Jefferson and Kenyon were really in their prime....oh wait they were rookies!

Amar'e is a star. Check general NBA section.

So your telling me all these years there was no big enough free agent that New York wanted? You can grab Chris Paul or someone but the Nets couldn't?

How many draft picks do the Knicks have in the next three years?

I know you aren't acutally a Knick fan so it excuses you lol.

So your telling me all these years there was no big enough free agent that New York wanted? You can grab Chris Paul or someone but the Nets couldn't?

How many draft picks do the Knicks have in the next three years?

The Knicks haven't had cap space since the 90's, so prior free agency periods are somewhat irrelevant.

We have two 1sts and three 2nds through 2013.

That's because no big name wanted to go there or they'd have cleared space like both are stupid teams did for the King.

Here's an example... The '04/'05 salary cap was $49.5M. The Knicks boasted a $103M payroll and scored 32 wins. That is not salary that can be shed without a longterm plan, and there were no LeBron James situations prior to the LeBron James situation. You can't use the last decade as a measuring stick of free agents wanting to or not wanting to play in NY, because it was impossible for them to do so in any event.

Well, besides Jerome James. He got his MLE. :(

Here's an example... The '04/'05 salary cap was $49.5M. The Knicks boasted a $103M payroll and scored 32 wins.

Further-- The Knicks' problem has been impatience. Neither Layden or Isiah wanted to wait things out, or to have a true plan. They compounded roster payroll problems with further roster payroll problems. They traded youth and picks for fat salaries and underperforming players. If you had asked either man to be patient, cut payroll, and start fresh... They'd have laughed at you. They were equally atrocious general managers.

That's because no big name wanted to go there or they'd have cleared space like both are stupid teams did for the King.

Nah it's called giving a huge contract to Allan Houston when he had knee problems...they are probably still paying him his contract which is why he is the Ast GM

Here's an example... The '04/'05 salary cap was $49.5M. The Knicks boasted a $103M payroll and scored 32 wins. That is not salary that can be shed without a longterm plan, and there were no LeBron James situations prior to the LeBron James situation. You can't use the last decade as a measuring stick of free agents wanting to or not wanting to play in NY, because it was impossible for them to do so in any event.

Well, besides Jerome James. He got his MLE. :(

Exactly. Jerome James explains it all. I'm not saying the Nets did much better with signings of Lamond Murray and other horrible players but the NY Knicks have been there everyday and accomplished very little.

Nah it's called giving a huge contract to Allan Houston when he had knee problems...they are probably still paying him his contract which is why he is the Ast GM

That's not the Knicks fault at all though, right? They had tons of guys wanting to play like Shaq and KG wanting to play because it is the mecca of basketball but didn't want to trade or sign any of them.

Houston brought them to the Finals in '99, got a max contract, and his knees went out. From that point they were over the cap through this past offseason. I feel like a broken record, but saying that free agents didn't want to sign in NY is fruitless because they weren't in a position to sign here in the first place.

Houston brought them to the Finals in '99, got a max contract, and his knees went out. From that point they were over the cap through this past offseason. I feel like a broken record, but saying that free agents didn't want to sign in NY is fruitless because they weren't in a position to sign here in the first place.

At the time of the LeBroness, they weren't cap ready to sign him either yet they made the moves to get him. They couldn't have made deals to get the superstars that wanted to play in the Mecca?

:lol:

At the time of the LeBroness, they weren't cap ready to sign him either yet they made the moves to get him. They couldn't have made deals to get the superstars that wanted to play in the Mecca?

:lol:

They cut cap and made moves for expirings from the time Walsh took over in '08.

'08

Traded Balkman for expirings

Z-Bo and Mardy Collins for Cuttino Mobley (expiring/retired) and Tim Thomas (expiring)

Crawford for Al Harrington (expired last year, took his '09/'10 player option)

'09

Traded Tim Thomas, Anthony Roberson, Jerome James to the Bulls for Larry Hughes

Traded Malik Tose for Chris Wilcox (expiring)

Released Stephon Marbury

Bought Toney Douglas

Traded Q-Rich for Darko (expiring)

Darko for Cardinal swap (higher contract expiring)

Celtics trade (Nate, Landry for Giddens, House, Walker)

'10

Rockets trade (T-Mac, Serg [expirings] for Hughes, Hill, Jeffries, picks)

As you can see, they totally did it last minute, with ease, to get a superstar in here.

Or, in reality, it was a three year process that was finally completed via scramble at the '10 deadline. As I said, neither of the previous GM's would have had enough patience to undergo a three year rebuild and take all the scrutiny that is attached. Especially not with the numbers that I provided, a league high $103M team salary on a $49.5M salary cap? They should have cut $53.5M in salary in a few minutes? Nobody wanted those contracts, it would have had to be played out. And neither GM was equipped to do so. Thank the Lord that Walsh came along.

Great article in the Times today. Check it out...

Nets Themselves the Biggest Obstacle to Luring Anthony

Seven months ago, Amar’e Stoudemire was a superstar in search of a new team, preferably one with great aspirations and great promise, located in a major market. The list was narrowed quickly. The Nets were never on it.

“I thought about it,” Stoudemire said Friday, “but I really didn’t put too much thought into it.”

Why?

“You’re just not sure what you’re going into with New Jersey,” Stoudemire said. “I’m not familiar with the franchise.”

Stoudemire spoke of the Nets as if they were an expansion team, which they might as well be, with their roster of spare parts, their nondescript arena and their utter lack of identity. It is a perception shared by many N.B.A. stars, apparently including Carmelo Anthony, who could, in fact, change all of that with one handshake.

Although the Nets and the Denver Nuggets reportedly reached a tentative deal Friday, pending Anthony’s agreement on a contract extension, Stoudemire, a close friend, was doubtful. “I would be very surprised” to see Anthony approve the deal, he said.

It is possible that Stoudemire, who wants Anthony as a teammate, was simply speaking out of personal interest. But his comments reflect a cold reality: the Nets, despite their proximity to Manhattan, their success in the early 2000s and their imminent move to Brooklyn, are still viewed as a second-tier franchise in a second-class market.

Marquee free agents never flocked to East Rutherford, nor are they intrigued by Newark. And until the Barclays Center opens, presumably in 2012, it will be just another pretty architectural model with a corporate name.

“I think most players would want to play with the Knicks, before Jersey,” Stoudemire said.

As the trading deadline nears and the Nets and Knicks make their final push for Anthony, the stakes have rarely been higher — but mostly for the Nets. They need Anthony to make them relevant, to provide legitimacy and to sell season tickets in Brooklyn. No one is going to pay top dollar to see Brook Lopez and Travis Outlaw.

The Nets’ desperation was telegraphed in their latest trade offer. They are dangling Derrick Favors, the No. 3 pick in the 2010 draft; Devin Harris, a former All-Star; and four first-round draft picks, in addition to ancillary players. In return, the Nets would acquire Anthony and the 34-year-old Chauncey Billups.

Anthony is an elite scorer with a bright personality and a crowd-pleasing game. His shot selection and defense are questionable, and his postseason record is poor. But even by the most conservative rankings, Anthony is one of the N.B.A.’s top 15 to 20 players. He is worth a major investment.

But the Nets’ offer seems overly generous and almost certainly self-defeating in the long run. Harris is their only proven star. Favors is their only prospect with star potential.

Without the draft picks, they would have difficulty surrounding Anthony with talent. Billups could stabilize the lineup for a year or two, but he is nearing the end of his career.

A similar deal was nearly completed last month, before the Nets’ owner, Mikhail D. Prokhorov, canceled the talks. A revival of that deal seemed inevitable. Nuggets officials have always been more enamored of the Nets’ assets than the Knicks’. If not for Anthony’s obvious hesitation to play in Newark, the trade might have been done long ago.

The Knicks, already armed with Stoudemire, had taken a more measured approach, holding their assets close and patiently waiting for a chance to get Anthony without sacrificing too much. If Anthony rejected a Nets deal, as expected, the Knicks knew they would gain immense leverage in negotiations.

But it appears that the Nets may have forced the Knicks’ hand.

On Friday, the Knicks offered three of their top six players — Danilo Gallinari, Raymond Felton and Wilson Chandler — in a package for Anthony and Billups. It was a curious reversal in strategy, one driven by the Madison Square Garden chairman James L. Dolan, according to several people with ties to the Knicks.

Yet Anthony and Stoudemire alone cannot turn the Knicks into contenders. They need a capable supporting cast, which is why Donnie Walsh, the team president, has been so reluctant to gut his roster.

There are six days left until Thursday’s trading deadline. The end game could reveal much — about the Nets’ desperation level, about Anthony’s priorities and about the Knicks’ front-office politics.

Walsh wants Anthony, but not at any cost. Coach Mike D’Antoni has been notably reluctant to break up a team that is young and promising. But Dolan has been pushing to make a deal and seems ready to override the advice of his top basketball executives.

“I think Dolan definitely wants Carmelo in New York,” Stoudemire said bluntly.

If Anthony becomes a Knick, the pressure will move from Walsh to D’Antoni, who will have to find a way to mesh two high-scoring, ball-dominating forwards. Expectations will rise too, perhaps unjustifiably.

Still, the Knicks are in the best position of all of the parties. If they can acquire Anthony without giving up much, they could become a top four team in the East. If Anthony stays with Denver, the Knicks are confident they can sign him as a free agent this summer. And if Anthony lands across the river, it will be at a tremendous cost to the Nets.

Meanwhile, the Knicks would still have Stoudemire, a promising young lineup and enough cap room to keep adding talent over the next two summers. With Stoudemire on board, they already have their drawing card, as Stoudemire not-so-humbly noted.

“For the New York Knicks franchise, I think we made a great step when I signed with the Knicks,” he said. “I think Melo noticed it, he sees it, that we’re really trying to win a championship. That’s our goal. I think that’s why he’s more intrigued to play for the Knicks, as opposed to Jersey.”

source: NY Times...article by Howard Beck... http://www.nytimes.com/2011/02/19/sports/basketball/19beck.html?_r=1&ref=sports

They cut cap and made moves for expirings from the time Walsh took over in '08.

As you can see, they totally did it last minute, with ease, to get a superstar in here.

Or, in reality, it was a three year process that was finally completed via scramble at the '10 deadline. As I said, neither of the previous GM's would have had enough patience to undergo a three year rebuild and take all the scrutiny that is attached. Especially not with the numbers that I provided, a league high $103M team salary on a $49.5M salary cap? They should have cut $53.5M in salary in a few minutes? Nobody wanted those contracts, it would have had to be played out. And neither GM was equipped to do so. Thank the Lord that Walsh came along.

I don't think you get the point I was making but that is okay.

And that article makes Amar'e sound very sour towards this franchise which he should be. He is a New York Knick and the Nets showed zero interest in him this off season while he clearly had them on his list...mostly cash reasons though.

http://sports.espn.go.com/new-york/nba/news/story?id=6139746

Source: Carmelo Anthony, Nets meet

The long-awaited meeting between Carmelo Anthony and the New Jersey Nets took place late Saturday afternoon at a Los Angeles-area restaurant, according to a league source.

The Nets owner, Russian billionaire Mikhail Prokhorov, and minority owner Jay-Z informed Anthony of the club's short-term and long-term vision -- the certainty of their move to Brooklyn for the start of the 2012-13 season, as well as their plans to build a championship-caliber team around him, largely through free agency.

Anthony was noncommittal after hearing the Nets' presentation, not saying whether or not he would sign the three-year, $65 million contract extension that is a prerequisite for the deal. He told the Nets he will think about the situation and would like to have a resolution before the end of the weekend.

lol this dude just refuses to give us a straight answer