Nuggets Reach Tentative Agreement On Carmelo Trade

Celtics3420

I get the trade isn't so good on the Nets side but how do the Nets not have a future even if they were to trade for him? Not only are we getting a young superstar but we would have plenty of cash for the next big free agent fiasco.

What was the Nuggets record before they drafted Carmelo? 17-65.

What was the Nuggets record the first season with him? 43-39.

I still don't think it'll happen but I heard the exact same thing with Kidd and he took us to two Finals in his first two years when he was traded here.

Carmelo is 27 and never got his team the WCF, you won't have picks to back him up with talent, your only shot is CP3, going all on a whim is a pretty dumb idea if you ask me. I'd rather suck and stock pile young players than be mediocre and never have a shot.

KBerg_CBS

"Do I feel like (Nuggets) want me anymore? I can't answer that question."

KBerg_CBS

"Any team that the Denver Nuggets want to send me to, I would love to sit down with that team and find out what the future is."

Ken Berger KBerg_CBS

Preference? "I can't really sit here and say I want to go here or I want to go there."

I still don't think it'll happen but I heard the exact same thing with Kidd and he took us to two Finals in his first two years when he was traded here.

Jason Kidd is a completely different player than Melo. Kidd was widely known for making all of his teammates better. One of the best leaders/passers of our time.

And also, the Nets had a formidable roster to go along with him.

Anyway...

We'll see what happens. I think it'd be exciting for the fan base of NJ but I do not think from a basketball standpoint it is a good move for them.

Ken Berger KBerg_CBS

"I would love to have something happen this weekend. I would love to have a legit offer to sit down and figure it out."

KBerg_CBS

Surprise team? "I don't know man. I really don't know."

Ken Berger KBerg_CBS

Meeting with Knicks? "The day is still youg. I haven't checked my text messages. ... my son got my phone."

KBerg_CBS

"Whoever I deal with, I just want to have a face to face meeting with."

KBerg_CBS

Losing $ as free agent? "That's why I'm about to go meet with Billy Hunter. I'm about to go to that meeting right now."

KBerg_CBS

"The Nuggets know everything that I'm thinking. You gotta talk to them about that."

KBerg_CBS

"I don't think that's the only two teams that I can sit hear and say I definitely want to be on those two teams or nowhere else." re: Ne ...

Marc J. Spears SpearsNBAYahoo

Melo says he's hopeful but not confident his situation will be worked out this weekend. No NY or NJ meeting RIGHT now. Says no preference

Carmelo is 27 and never got his team the WCF, you won't have picks to back him up with talent, your only shot is CP3, going all on a whim is a pretty dumb idea if you ask me. I'd rather suck and stock pile young players than be mediocre and never have a shot.

Jason Kidd was 27 and never got his team to the WCF.

Boston Celtics wouldn't be champions if they stuck to the mode of stocking up picks and keeping young players.

Jason Kidd is a completely different player than Melo. Kidd was widely known for making all of his teammates better. One of the best leaders/passers of our time.

And also, the Nets had a formidable roster to go along with him.

Anyway...

We'll see what happens. I think it'd be exciting for the fan base of NJ but I do not think from a basketball standpoint it is a good move for them.

So there is no theme with the Nuggets missing the playoffs eight straight years then when Carmelo comes in they have made it eight straight?

All I'm saying is we were getting a wife beater in 2001 and it completely changed our entire franchise by taking the risk of making a trade.

ESPN's Ric Bucher told that Anthony would sign the extension with New Jersey if the Knicks can't make a deal.

Melo wants the extension, not surprised by this at all assuming its true. Knicks may have to pay up after all.

Yeah what a joke it would be on us, we'd have 10+ mil to sign a FA in free agency and a future, what do the Nuggets and Nets have? :lol:

And if I'm doing my math right, the Nets would have Carmelo and between 15-20 million for free agency but I could be completely wrong with the numbers.

And if I'm doing my math right, the Nets would have Carmelo and between 15-20 million for free agency but I could be completely wrong with the numbers.

15 million, what can you sign with that? You think players would chose NJ over NY? hm, interesting theory.

ummm, yes he has, in 08-09. They lost in 6 to the champion Lakers. Unless you meant the WCF title and a finals appearance, in which case neither did Kidd until he went to NJ.

15 million, what can you sign with that? You think players would chose NJ over NY? hm, interesting theory.

Wait so the Knicks 10 million is worth more than Nets 15-20 million because they are in New York or because you can't do math right?

FYI, Nets will be there too.

It's so much talk about the Knicks being such a prime destination for these "FA" yet so far we've seen LeBron, Wade and Bosh ignore them as much as the Nets.

No doubt the record this year and being "the Knicks" may have some pull to grab these stars to mimic Miami but I really doubt Nets or Knicks win a championship in the next 5-10 years.

Edited by Universe

Wait so the Knicks 10 million is worth more than Nets 15-20 million because they are in New York or because you can't do math right?

It's so much talk about the Knicks being such a prime destination for these "FA" yet so far we've seen LeBron, Wade and Bosh ignore them as much as the Nets.

No doubt the record this year and being "the Knicks" may have some pull to grab these stars to mimic Miami but I really doubt Nets or Knicks win a championship in the next 5-10 years.

The Knicks 10 mill is better than the Nuggets 15 mill because we will have

Felton

Fields

Chandler

Gallinari

Stoudemire

Fields

Douglas

Mozgov

and more picks than you

you will have

Melo

Lopez

Outlaw

Morrow

and if there's any truth to the trade rumor you are taking back balkman and another contract so you won't even have 15 mill

It's a steep price for the Nets for sure... but if they don't do it, they will have to pay even a steeper price (from Prokhorov's perspective) by watching Melo join Knicks.

Prokhorov simply canNOT let Melo join Knicks.

His missions are:

- to turn Knicks fans into Nets fans...

- to win title in 5 years

How can he turn Knick fans into Net fans if they can't match starpower of Melo and Amare on Knicks? How can they win title if they can't beat Melo and Amare's Knicks?

If Nets don't get Melo, it'll be over for Prokhorov... unless Derrick Favors actually becomes a superstar franchise... a possibility but still a long shot for now.

The Knicks 10 mill is better than the Nuggets 15 mill because we will have

Felton

Fields

Chandler

Gallinari

Stoudemire

Fields

Douglas

Mozgov

and more picks than you

you will have

Melo

Lopez

Outlaw

Morrow

and if there's any truth to the trade rumor you are taking back balkman and another contract so you won't even have 15 mill

We are called the Nets and does that mean that is all they are going to have!? Man it's going to be tough playing with only four playe...oh wait there is an off season and free agency.

Oh it's the history of the Garden and all those championship banners that bring in the studded free agents they have gotten in the past that make it Knicks > Nets.

Edited by Universe

Disagree with the bolded, and agree with the italicized.

First of all, no one in NYC cares about the Nets. Once they are actually in Brooklyn in a few years, I'm sure they'll get their followers. But the Knicks in NYC and the history involved at the Garden is crazy man, I'm not sure if you're from the area, but there is a big difference. Everyone in the city is a Knicks fan. You don't find Net fans there. It isn't like the Mets/Yankees or Jets/Giants. Yes the Yankees and Giants are better historically, but there's still a ton of Met and Jet fans. Nets, however, their fan base is quite poor outside of NJ and it's evidenced by their ticket sales. Like I said, once they are playing in NY, they'll garner more NYC fans for sure...but it'll still be playing for the 2nd NBA franchise in the City; and this isn't even being biased...it's reality.

Now, with the entire Wade Bosh LBJ thing...Wade recruited LBJ and Bosh. If Wade was in NY, the two would've come to NY. It really had nothing to do with the fact that it was going to miami and playing for that franchise over playing for the knicks. it had to do with wade was already settled there and he said hey guys come on down here we can do something special. Lets be honest. No one really expected that to happen in May when LeBron got bounced from the playoffs...No one expected the players to team up like that. There were speculations but no one expected that sort of teaming up.

I do agree that the Nets and Knicks are still both very far away with building a Championship team. They'd both gut their team at this point for Melo...looks like NYK may just give up their three best defensive players and 3/5 of their starting lineup....they are very very far away from championship with their starting 5 being billups fields williams (i'd assume) melo stat

We are called the Nets and does that mean that is all they are going to have!? Man it's going to be tough playing with only four playe...oh wait there is an off season and free agency.

Oh it's the history of the Garden and all those championship banners that bring in the studded free agents they have gotten in the past that make it Knicks > Nets.

The Knicks have only recently this past year been under the cap. Due to the idiocy of Scott Laden, he and then compounded by Isiah Thomas managed to run the franchise into the ground the past decade, taking on ridiculous contracts of overpaid, overrated super stars...took a while to get back but there's definitely a buzz back in the Garden.

• Like 1

No, it's the cap space and the more attractive roster now, try to pay attention k? I haven't said anything about MSG or banners.

Disagree with the bolded, and agree with the italicized.

First of all, no one in NYC cares about the Nets. Once they are actually in Brooklyn in a few years, I'm sure they'll get their followers. But the Knicks in NYC and the history involved at the Garden is crazy man, I'm not sure if you're from the area, but there is a big difference. Everyone in the city is a Knicks fan. You don't find Net fans there. It isn't like the Mets/Yankees or Jets/Giants. Yes the Yankees and Giants are better historically, but there's still a ton of Met and Jet fans. Nets, however, their fan base is quite poor outside of NJ and it's evidenced by their ticket sales. Like I said, once they are playing in NY, they'll garner more NYC fans for sure...but it'll still be playing for the 2nd NBA franchise in the City; and this isn't even being biased...it's reality.

Now, with the entire Wade Bosh LBJ thing...Wade recruited LBJ and Bosh. If Wade was in NY, the two would've come to NY. It really had nothing to do with the fact that it was going to miami and playing for that franchise over playing for the knicks. it had to do with wade was already settled there and he said hey guys come on down here we can do something special. Lets be honest. No one really expected that to happen in May when LeBron got bounced from the playoffs...No one expected the players to team up like that. There were speculations but no one expected that sort of teaming up.

I do agree that the Nets and Knicks are still both very far away with building a Championship team. They'd both gut their team at this point for Melo...looks like NYK may just give up their three best defensive players and 3/5 of their starting lineup....they are very very far away from championship with their starting 5 being billups fields williams (i'd assume) melo stat

The Knicks have only recently this past year been under the cap. Due to the idiocy of Scott Laden, he and then compounded by Isiah Thomas managed to run the franchise into the ground the past decade, taking on ridiculous contracts of overpaid, overrated super stars...took a while to get back but there's definitely a buzz back in the Garden.

I really don't understand what fans have to do with anything to do with Carmelo? If the Nets head into Brooklyn with a winning team or at least an exciting team to watch there will be people in that STATE OF THE ART facility.

Most of your assumtion is speculation. They will still have the local NJ fans on top of the ones they win in Brooklyn but like I said I don't really know what the point of this is? Knicks are more attractive because they are the number one team in NY? What stops Melo from bringing a fan base to his birth place?

So your saying if Wade was in Toronto, Canada would have one of the most exciting NBA teams? C'mon now.

I just don't get how the Knicks have always been in New York yet suddenly it's a free agent hot spot for superstars yeeeeeeeeeeet they haven't even signed one yet.

Just my two cents.

No, it's the cap space and the more attractive roster now, try to pay attention k? I haven't said anything about MSG or banners.

I am paying attention but the brain switch didn't turn on your side.

Did you personally chat with Melo? Sitting couple games over .500 in a system that has failed numerously in the tougher Western Conference and actually was dominanted by the Nets in 2001 and 2002 with fewer dollars to spend on talent is automaticlly better choice than the Nets when clearly the trade is building forward and not just one year.

Again just my two cents but cmon, take the glasses off.