Zdeno Chara Hits Max Pacioretty (March 8 2011)

Warren2ThaG

I just got to laugh that the arena has been open since 1996 and we've never seen something like that yet Patches clearly gets under the skin of Chara and this "randomly" happens? C'mon now.

Yet Yappierre was never "brutally assaulted" by Chara, so I fail to see your illegitimate point. Cool, Max started shit with Chara a lot this season, and Chara tries to make a check along the boards and Pacioretty his the stancion.

It's not Chara's fault he's tall and Pacioretty is fast. He wasn't going to let him get a breakaway in that situation, and Max needs to keep his head up there.

Yet Yappierre was never "brutally assaulted" by Chara, so I fail to see your illegitimate point. Cool, Max started shit with Chara a lot this season, and Chara tries to make a check along the boards and Pacioretty his the stancion.

It's not Chara's fault he's tall and Pacioretty is fast. He wasn't going to let him get a breakaway in that situation, and Max needs to keep his head up there.

So because he never pushed Lapierre into the boards means he wouldn't push Patches?

And it's awful hard to keep your head up when it's being smashed into a wall.

Pure dirtiness.

So because he never pushed Lapierre into the boards means he wouldn't push Patches?

And it's awful hard to keep your head up when it's being smashed into a wall.

Pure dirtiness.

He checked Pacioretty into the boards. The initial contact was not near the stanchion. If Pacioretty had gone over the boards or down like Chara intended to do, then he never would have hit the stanchion. However, he was strong on his skates, and ended up hitting the stanchion.

I hope you're not a follower of that Benoit moron as well that wants people to call 9-1-1-.

It was a VERY unfortunate hit, but at any other place in the arena, Pacioretty is not hurt. It sucks for him, big time, and I hope he's alright, but Chara is bu not means a diry player, and this was not a "dirty" play. It was a check gone wrong so to say.

He checked Pacioretty into the boards. The initial contact was not near the stanchion. If Pacioretty had gone over the boards or down like Chara intended to do, then he never would have hit the stanchion. However, he was strong on his skates, and ended up hitting the stanchion.

I hope you're not a follower of that Benoit moron as well that wants people to call 9-1-1-.

It was a VERY unfortunate hit, but at any other place in the arena, Pacioretty is not hurt. It sucks for him, big time, and I hope he's alright, but Chara is bu not means a diry player, and this was not a "dirty" play. It was a check gone wrong so to say.

I guess we will have to disagree.

A guy whose played in the NHL for 12 seasons so clearly knows the deminsions of the rink hits someone who he's had a past grudge against into one of the most dangerous areas of the ice is clearly trying to injure considering they were down by four and Patches didn't even have the puck on his stick.

I'd feel the EXACT same way if PK had done this to Mike Richards in the same cirsumstances. Out of every single Montreal player, it's the dude who got under his skin.

Hopefully Chara learns never to do something so stupid.

• Owner

Oh, look, Chara's hit Pacioretty's shoulder, not his head until the very end.

http://i51.tinypic.com/2ds48wg.gif

Looks like your still frame doesn't support ANYTHING.

That's worse. Why not just stick with the shoulder? There's no reason why his arm extended unless it was intentional. If he was pushing off the body, it would make sense only if he was about nine feet tall.

Had he come at his head from the start, you could claim it was an accident...that he didn't see where he was leading him, maybe his gloves were in the way, etc. But to hit with the shoulder, then bring the hand up, extend out to the face and smash his face into the wall...that was not by accident.

You can say that about almost every check from behind. If the Flyers player would not have been facing the boards then Smid would never have made such a nasty hit.

You can say that about almost every check from behind. If the Flyers player would not have been facing the boards then Smid would never have made such a nasty hit.

No, it's not the same thing. If it happened on the other side of the arena, with the same play, Pacioretty would not have hit the stanchion.

If a player is facing the boards, they are facing the boards no matter where they are on the ice. That stanchion is not everywhere.

I would be mad if it were someone on hte Bruins that was hurt, and I initially thought it was dirty, but after seeing it about 100 times, I just don't see how it's dirty.

I mean, Canadiens fans think Chara is soft.......

Edited by EastCoastNiner

No, it's not the same thing. If it happened on the other side of the arena, with the same play, Pacioretty would not have hit the stanchion.

If a player is facing the boards, they are facing the boards no matter where they are on the ice. That stanchion is not everywhere.

I would be mad if it were someone on hte Bruins that was hurt, and I initially thought it was dirty, but after seeing it about 100 times, I just don't see how it's dirty.

I mean, Canadiens fans think Chara is soft.......

You keep ignoring my main point but that's fine. Two different views.

I don't get the point you are trying to make. We will agree to disagree.

If it was by accident, how come the first incident to happen in the arena like this since it was built in 1996 does it accidently happen between someone whose been in conflict with the victim? Canadiens have played 41 games each season since that 1996 season and I've never seen something so dangerous happen.

If it was by accident, how come the first incident to happen in the arena like this since it was built in 1996 does it accidently happen between someone whose been in conflict with the victim? Canadiens have played 41 games each season since that 1996 season and I've never seen something so dangerous happen.

Why didn't it happen earlier in the season? I mean, Mr. Chara must have been out to get him, right? Why does he choose this game? It's not often you get a play about 7' on skates hitting a player near that part of the ice.

If Chara wanted to hurt him intentionally, he had plenty of chances.

Why didn't it happen earlier in the season? I mean, Mr. Chara must have been out to get him, right? Why does he choose this game? It's not often you get a play about 7' on skates hitting a player near that part of the ice.

If Chara wanted to hurt him intentionally, he had plenty of chances.

The dude is out for the rest of the season and maybe longer. I think he DID hurt him lol.

• Like 1

The problem I have with the play is that whether Chara intentionally did this or not, he should've been aware of where he was on the ice. There is a reason that area on the ice is considered the number one dead zone and plays like this show why.

Also, there was no need for the extra shove by Chara at the end. If he had just simply rode him out without the extra shove at the end, Pacioretty wouldn't have been driven into the stanchion the way that he was.

I won't go as far as to say that Chara set out to hurt him, but I do find it a bit questionable how it happened to be Pacioretty who got hit and the game just sho happened to be out oc reach when the hit occured. Chara not even reacting or anything once the hit occured and Pacioretty was laying motionless on the ice doesn't really do him any favous, either.

Montreal Canadiens forward Max Pacioretty spoke to TSN Hockey Insider Bob McKenzie from his hospital room on Wednesday evening about the injury that he suffered against the Boston Bruins on Tuesday night.

"I am upset and disgusted that the league didn't think enough of (the hit) to suspend him," Pacioretty told TSN. "I not mad for myself, I'm mad because if other players see a hit like that and think it's okay, they won't be suspended, then other players will get hurt like I got hurt."

"It's been an emotional day. I saw the video for the first time this morning. You see the hit, I've got a fractured vertebrae, I'm in hospital and I thought the league would do something, a little something. I'm not talking a big number, I don't know, one game, two games, three games...whatever, but something to show that it's not right."

"I heard (Chara) said he didn't mean to do it. I felt he did mean to do it. I would feel better if he said he made a mistake and that he was sorry for doing that, I could forgive that, but I guess he's talking about how I jumped up or something."

"I believe he was trying to guide my head into the turnbuckle. We all know where the turnbuckle is. It wasn't a head shot like a lot of head shots we see but I do feel he targeted my head into the turnbuckle."

http://tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=357316

Glad to see he's doing better. The Canadian Goverment isn't too pleased with the NHL's decision and the police in Montreal are investigating it as well. Pretty sad stuff.

Really can't believe the police is "investigating". Give me a break, find something productive to do.

If somebodies head is shoved into a pole outside the arena, then they investigate that no? What makes it any difference inside the arena?

I don't think Chara should ever go to court but it's making a mockery out of the NHL that the Canada Goverment had to warn them and now the police are involved that the NHL decided within 24 hours.

If somebodies head is shoved into a pole outside the arena, then they investigate that no? What makes it any difference inside the arena?

I don't think Chara should ever go to court but it's making a mockery out of the NHL that the Canada Goverment had to warn them and now the police are involved that the NHL decided within 24 hours.

This is in the realm of sport. Vicious hits and fights happen all the time. Discipline is the league's discretion. We criticize the NHL all the time, but they are far more qualified to determine clean from dirty on a hockey rink than the police. Government needs to stay out of it. There are so many problems with the world right now, go tackle one of them, stop trying to appease bitter Canadiens fans.

Edited by Phightins

This is in the realm of sport. Vicious hits and fights happen all the time. Discipline is the league's discretion. We criticize the NHL all the time, but they are far more qualified to determine clean from dirty on a hockey rink than the police. Government needs to stay out of it. There are so many problems with the world right now, go tackle one of them, stop trying to appease bitter Canadiens fans.

You really don't understand why they are doing this and that's fine becase you hate Montreal.

The Boston Bruins as a team HATE Montreal. From the comments before the game saying we are divers to after calling out Pouliot for not fighting again.

Zdeno Chara does not hit Brian Gionta or Travis Moen....he hits the guy who was under his skin. Out of everyone on that roster it was the one guy who he was battling with who is now sitting in a hospital bed and may never play hockey again.

Now there is no way to prove it without Chara admitting he did that on purpose but the point is you cannot look past what had happened before when the result was so dangerous.

If this would have been a Canadiens vs. Predators and Shea Weber would have done this to Patches, I'm sure people would still be angry but then it looks a lot more innocent coming from someone without a history between the two.

As for the Goverment, they have a huge role in Hockey Canada and this is a huge news worthy event that brings bad praise to the sport. I'm not saying they know what a dirty hit looks like but they know what a near death experince in hockey looks like and they commented on it.

Should your ex-Canadien go to court for this? This was INTENTIONAL with no doubt.

I said he wasn't TRYING to hurt him. I never said he didn't hurt him.

You really need to learn how to read.

That isn't even what I was meaning it too and I can read fine.

Anyway we both won't agree on it so we can drop it.

Can't wait till Boston gets those "smurf pussies" again. Hopefully nobody dies...

• Like 1