General Hockey Thread 2011-2012

Built Ford Tough

That was ridiculous. Sesito comes from absolutely nowhere, full speed ahead and just clobbers Deveaux into the boards. He even cuts off his own teammate so that he can run him. Sheesh.

:lol:

Also, awesome cheap shot by Avery at 29 seconds. Simmonds apparently challenged him to a fight later, but as you all could guess, Avery declined.

lol good, Simmonds had him by the helmet and pulled the jersey over his head. He deserved a punch. "LeRoy" hahaha.

Avery did what he does best. Pissed Simmonds off enough to where he dropped his gloves, and then declined. Got us a power play. He'd be entirely useless if he didn't get us some man advantages :lol:

Who had the brilliant idea to put a mic on Sean Avery last night?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y-rGud48R5E&feature=youtu.be

How about Wayne Simmonds using gay slurs last night? :rolleyes: .

Anyways, Jagr is appearing to be beasting like I predicted, and the Flyer's continue to keep hitting people from behind. They will never learn...... -_- .

Edited by EastCoastNiner

How about Wayne Simmonds using gay slurs last night? :rolleyes: .

Anyways, Jagr is appearing to be beasting like I predicted, and the Flyer's continue to keep hitting people from behind. They will never learn...... -_- .

Yeah, was the gay slur before or after the sucker punch? Or saying he was going to kill Claude Giroux?

I am completely against homophobia, but Avery needs to look in the mirror. Any other player and I'd feel differently, but he can shut the [expletive] up.

Edited by Phightins

Yeah, was the gay slur before or after the sucker punch? Or saying he was going to kill Claude Giroux?

Was the "sucker" punch before or after Simmonds had him by the helmet, yanking him down to the ice, ripping the ear off of his head? None of it would have happened if Sestito doesn't throw the bullshit hit, and none of it would have happened if Simmonds didn't grab his helmet and yank him to the ice. If you engage another player with your gloves off, protect yourself.

Avery was right in what he said, IMO. Tell Sestito to chill out, because your guy will be in trouble otherwise. "I don't want to have to kill Giroux tonight."

I am completely against homophobia, but Avery needs to look in the mirror. Any other player and I'd feel differently, but he can shut the [expletive] up.

Avery's actually been a huge advocate for ridding the sport of homophobia.

http://www.sbnation.com/nhl/2011/5/10/2163910/uptown-sports-sean-avery-gay-marriage-twitter

Edited by illwill21

One thing is for sure...Kyle and I picked a hell of a preseason game to go to!

It felt so chippy from the start, I think they're gearing up for this Winter Classic already, especially after that conference across the street. I'm just happy hockey is back :)

The more I think about it, the more I think Philly is going to get bullied around this year with their forwards. Don't get me wrong, I would love a player like Giroux or JVR on the Bruins, but I feel like the Flyers are somewhat soft, and that will come back to bite them.

I know Jagr is one of the strongest players in the NHL with the puck, but I don't see much physicality of the Flyers outside of that, unless you're banking on Shenn and Couturier making up for that.

Also, Rask has looked excellent this season, and I hope that continues into the regular season, along with Thomas continuing his performance from last season.

Was the "sucker" punch before or after Simmonds had him by the helmet, yanking him down to the ice, ripping the ear off of his head? None of it would have happened if Sestito doesn't throw the bullshit hit, and none of it would have happened if Simmonds didn't grab his helmet and yank him to the ice. If you engage another player with your gloves off, protect yourself.

Avery was right in what he said, IMO. Tell Sestito to chill out, because your guy will be in trouble otherwise. "I don't want to have to kill Giroux tonight."

I am still not seeing what Simmonds did wrong. He was just evening up the scrum and sticking up for his teammate. Nothing malicious. The Rangers obviously had every right to go after Sestito since it was a brutal hit. Whether or not anybody agrees with the hit, Simmonds has a responsibility to stick up for his teammate regardless, which he did. Seemed pretty harmless until the sucker punch was thrown.

But perhaps I am just being a homer, IDK.

Also, I agree about Avery. I don't care the least bit that he said that. Just like I really don't care that Simmonds called him a [expletive]got. It happens. I just wish that stuff would be left on the ice. You know this chatter happens in every single NHL game. No reason to go to the media with it and turn it into a huge deal. Just IMO.

The more I think about it, the more I think Philly is going to get bullied around this year with their forwards. Don't get me wrong, I would love a player like Giroux or JVR on the Bruins, but I feel like the Flyers are somewhat soft, and that will come back to bite them.

I know Jagr is one of the strongest players in the NHL with the puck, but I don't see much physicality of the Flyers outside of that, unless you're banking on Shenn and Couturier making up for that.

Also, Rask has looked excellent this season, and I hope that continues into the regular season, along with Thomas continuing his performance from last season.

I agree to an extent, but it shouldn't be as extreme as it was last year. Or the Stanley Cup Final team either. Losing Richards obviously hurts this department, but Simmonds and Talbot add a lot of grit that has not been there for a few seasons.

Also I think you are greatly underestimating Giroux if you think he is soft.

Edited by Phightins

Who had the brilliant idea to put a mic on Sean Avery last night?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y-rGud48R5E&feature=youtu.be

Good for Avery, and I hate the guy.

If you have a no talent hack like Sestito running around like an idiot running people somebody should say/do something about it.

Obviously I don't wish harm on any player, but if the Flyers want to dress goons like Sestito/Shelley and have them taking runs at defenseless players the skill players on the Flyers should be targeted a bit. Avery is more bark than bite, though.

If teams want to dress a player like Sestito and he takes stupid liberties like he did last night, they should have to be weary of their actually talented players being targeted.

I'd also be saying the same thing if it was Colton Orr or Jay Rosehill throwing a disguisting hit like that as well (although I don't see either one doing something like that, especially Rosehill). If one of them ran a guy like Sestito did, I'd expect there to be threats to a guy like Kessell or Grabovski and, depending on the severity of the incident, I'd even expect somebody to run at them.

It is a part of hockey and always has been.

PS: Not saying you are trying to slight Avery or anything. This is more of a general comment and is not directed to you.

Edited by Built Ford Tough

I am still not seeing what Simmonds did wrong. He was just evening up the scrum and sticking up for his teammate. Nothing malicious.

I guess. But if I grab someone by the helmet/jersey, yank them down to the ice, rip their helmet off and pull their jersey over their head.. I'm not calling it a cheap shot when I get smacked in the face.

Edited by illwill21

Good for Avery, and I hate the guy.

If you have a no talent hack like Sestito running around like an idiot running people somebody should say/do something about it.

Obviously I don't wish harm on any player, but if the Flyers want to dress goons like Sestito/Shelley and have them taking runs at defenseless players the skill players on the Flyers should be targeted a bit. Avery is more bark than bite, though.

If teams want to dress a player like Sestito and he takes stupid liberties like he did last night, they should have to be weary of their actually talented players being targeted.

I'd also be saying the same thing if it was Colton Orr or Jay Rosehill throwing a disguisting hit like that as well (although I don't see either one doing something like that, especially Rosehill). If one of them ran a guy like Sestito did, I'd expect there to be threats to a guy like Kessell or Grabovski and, depending on the severity of the incident, I'd even expect somebody to run at them.

It is a part of hockey and always has been.

PS: Not saying you are trying to slight Avery or anything. This is more of a general comment and is not directed to you.

I agree with this, I just think it's kind of funny coming from Avery is all.

Not to mention the obvious sound editing fail. Can't believe they allowed that to play for a good 20 seconds! :lol:

I agree with this, I just think it's kind of funny coming from Avery is all.

Not to mention the obvious sound editing fail. Can't believe they allowed that to play for a good 20 seconds! :lol:

Well, I completely disagree with the whole "if someone on your team does something dirty/questionable, we will target a different player than the player responsible" thing, but that is an entirely different debate.

But you are completely right BFT, it happens all the time in sports, and I have absolutely no issue with what Avery said.

Edited by Phightins

Well, I completely disagree with the whole "if someone on your team does something dirty/questionable, we will target a different player than the player responsible" thing, but that is an entirely different debate.

But you are completely right BFT, it happens all the time in sports, and I have absolutely no issue with what Avery said.

If you have a goon taking runs at one of your skilled players, I am completely fine with you sending a 3rd or 4th liner after an opposing teams skilled players.

For example, say Sestito has been taking liberties all game long and then he runs Grabovski and as a result Grabovski is forced to leave the game, what good does it do for Toronto to send Orr/Rosehill after Sestito? Obviously you look to settle the score with him at some point in the game, but if the Flyers have their goon taking runs at the Leafs skill players, I'd be returning the favour right back by sending Orr/Rosehill after a Giroux or a JVR. That would be a fair trade off, which is what I was getting at.

I'm not saying that you should always go after a skill player, but if you have a guy constantly taking runs and making dirty plays, there comes a time that you need to retaliate and, as much as it sucks, the skill players are the ones who are put in danger.

I'm also not saying that they should run the guy from behind or try to kill him, but rather just rough him up a little bit to send a message that if you go after one of our skill guys, we are going after one of yours.

This might not have been the best time to mention that, considering Deveaux is hardly a skilled player, but it did sort of apply with the whole Sestito/Avery thing.

Yeah. This happens in baseball all the time too. If a pitcher throws inside, intentionally or not, most of the time when the other team gets their "payback", they are going after the best hitter. I have always disliked this philosophy and I guess it just carried over to hockey too.

I know that there are different tiers of hockey players in the NHL (such as Sestito vs. Giroux), and going after Sestito would accomplish nothing for the Rangers even though he is the responsible party. I get all of that, it just seems pretty barbaric to me. But I don't think it will ever change.

One more week! I am over the pre-season already, shit is too long. Let's get the ball rolling.

Also, Kadri out 3-4 weeks, irrelevant to most on here, but this basically means Frattin will get that starting 3rd line wing spot now without any competition. I honestly have no clue who they'd have taken, and doubt they even know yet, but I bet the edge would have gone to Kadri solely because of his PP abilities (he might be our most offensively skilled forward overall if you disregard strength), but Frattin is a better 3rd line type player, plays with grit, finishes his checks, solid on the puck and a good shot, so he fits too, in fact probably better on the 3rd. Just sucks to see a guy potentially lose a spot because of injuries, especially in his 3rd straight camp where he thought he might make it.

If Frattin struggles I expect Nazem to get a look after the next month when he is healthy, or worst case he is the first guy called up when someone gets hurt or starts slumping, which is inevitable considering how streaky some of our guys are and how unhealthy guys like Lombardi and Connolly will inevitably be.

The only question left is whether or not Gardiner is going to sneak in and grab a spot on D. I think he is going to have to be flawless his next 2 games to get the spot. He has been great, but Burke says he only wants him up if he is going to play, doesn't want him sitting in the press box. Even if he makes the squad, it wouldn't surprise me if he was sent back down quickly if he struggles. Hope he impresses and gets the job done, kid is sick.

Crazy to look back and realize we got Lombardi (healthy now it seems), Liles, Lupul, Gardiner, Franson for Lebda, Beauchimin and a 2nd rounder.

Edited by Check my Stats

Matthew Lombardi is going to make his Leafs' debut tonight. Pretty awesome to hear considering I don't think anybody expected him to be back this soon after the concussion issues he had last year. I know quite a few people didn't even think he would ever come back.

Talk about getting into the fire quickly.

Matthew Lombardi not only will see his first game action as a Maple Leaf –on Saturday night but he’ll centre sniper Phil Kessel and winger Joffrey Lupul.

For Lombardi, it’s also the first time he’s been in a real game in nearly a year. He never played again for the Nashville Predators after sustaining a severe concussion in the second game of last season after signing there as a free agent

http://www.thestar.com/sports/hockey/nhl/mapleleafs/article/1063020--matthew-lombardi-makes-leafs-debut-saturday?bn=1

Also, it is about time the NHL implements no touch icing. Last night Taylor Fedun of the Oilers suffered a fractured femur as he and Eric Nystrom raced for an icing. Nystrom's stick got between Fedun's legs and Fedun ended up stepping on it and he slid right into the boards. It was an accidental play as Nystrom clearly didn't mean to do it, but with all of these unecessary injuries, you have to wonder why no touch icing hasn't been implemented already. I can't think of any valid reason for keeping touch icing.

Here is a video of the play.

http://video.oilers.nhl.com/videocenter/console?id=125687

EDIT: Femur, not fibula.