General Hockey Thread 2011-2012

Built Ford Tough

The season needs to start already!

It's going to be exciting to see which young players are going to make the team. Maybe Spooner or Knight can crack the lineup, or maybe Pouliot will take that sport, which is probably the plan. This could be an excellent season.

Also, Dougie Hamilton has supposedly looked very good in camp so far, which is very exciting. I also hope Seguin can have a Stamkos like sophomore season...... :lol: . That would be nice.......

It's also sad to think that one of the spots being open is in part to Marc Savard and his injury. It's terrible to see a player go through what he's gone through. He was truly one of the best playmakers in the league when he was healthy. It's a damn shame that he's probably done because it's hard to imagine any doctor would clear him to play. It's still tough to swallow that no one on the ice for the Bruins really went after Matt Cooke after the hit. Maybe they all didn't see it, but they went over in his direction, so they knew he did something.

Edited by EastCoastNiner

VANCOUVER — Three months after suffering a broken vertebrae in the Stanley Cup final, Vancouver Canucks winger Mason Raymond can't say for sure that he will play again.

But he felt lucky to be be able to walk into his meeting with reporters on Thursday and is hopeful that he will meet initial projections and resume his National Hockey League career by mid-season.

“At the end of the day, it could have been worse,” Raymond said. “I'm lucky to be standing here today with arms and legs moving. I'm still having some discomfort with some soft tissue, but it's coming along well and I'm happy with the process.

“Whenever you have something in that [spinal] area, you have a serous risk of having additional problems. So, yeah, I feel lucky.”

http://www.vancouversun.com/news/Canucks+Mason+Raymond+sure+play+again+still+indefinitely+with+broken+back/5443763/story.html#ixzz1YjQduWe2

I'd be surprised if he doesn't ever play again since from all things I've read it sounds like he is likely to be back sometime this season, but just hearing that there is a possibility that he may never play again really sucks.

It makes you wonder when he does come back (because again, I'm sure he will) if there won't be any negative affects on his game.

Edited by Built Ford Tough

http://www.vancouversun.com/news/Canucks+Mason+Raymond+sure+play+again+still+indefinitely+with+broken+back/5443763/story.html#ixzz1YjQduWe2

I'd be surprised if he doesn't ever play again since from all things I've read it sounds like he is likely to be back sometime this season, but just hearing that there is a possibility that he may never play again really sucks.

It makes you wonder when he does come back (because again, I'm sure he will) if there won't be any negative affects on his game.

It can't be much worse then it already has. Raymond is awful.

Leafs camp has been interesting so far by the sounds of things, especially on the defensive end. I haven't managed to catch an entire game mainly because I get like 20 channels at my house here at school. But I will probably watch the first half or first 2 periods of tonight's game since I think I get CBC, and then I'll head to the bar for the UFC thing.

Sounds like Gardiner is making a huge impression so far, and I am anxious to watch him tonight. Sounds like he is making a legit case for himself getting one of the final defense spots, so I am anxious to watch him closely for myself - it just sucks Komi probably gets a spot because of his contract when he is clearly worse than probably all the D being considered for a spot. And it sounds like Kadri and Frattin are both making legit cases for that supposed final forward spot, but I swear if Kadri doesn't get it I'll be shook, he is long overdue for a spot on the team. I am hoping he is in the line up tonight so I can see how he looks.

Anyways, I like how our D sounds moving forward, so young and so solid. This Gardiner kid sounds legit, sucks he will probably be starting off in the minors as a result of the numbers game. Can the season start already? Pre-season is lame after the first couple games.

Obviously it is pretty early to make predictions like this, but I'll take a stab at it. Only going to list 3 for each though because 5 is quite a bit IMO. Bold is my number 1 favourite.

Hart:

1. Alex Ovechkin

2. Evgeni Malkin

3. Martin St. Louis

With Crosby unlikely to play more than 70 games or be back in the groove enough to notch 100 points, I think Ovie reclaims his position as the best player in the league with Crosby hurt/not back in his groove for a while probably. It doesn't hurt the Caps will probably be the best team in the league. Malkin is gonna have a huge year, first time he's been motivated in a while, and is completely healthy by the sounds of things. St. Louis will continue to be ageless but really I picture this being a 2 man race between Ovie and Malkin.

Art Ross:

1. Alex Ovechkin

2. Evgeni Malkin

3. Martin St. Louis

Identical to my MVP rankings. Obviously the Sedins will probably be in the mix but I expect them to be in the low 90's this year (don't ask me why, just a hunch) while I expect St. Louis to be a borderline 100 point player again in what will be a big year in Tampa, helps he has one of the best pure goal scorers on his line. I also want to point out I think Patty Kane is in for a big year this year.

Rocket Richard:

1. Alex Ovechkin

2. Steven Stamkos

3. Evgeni Malkin

Corey Perry is maybe my favourite player in the entire league, but I don't see him grabbing the Richard for a 2nd straight year, but definitely a 40+ campaign is likely. Stamkos will bounce back (if 45 is a 'down year') and get 50 again, and Ovie will be having a huge year as I have stated a couple times already. I only picture there being 2 50 goal scorers this year, and I picture Malkin being in that 45 range. Would love if Perry proved me wrong though and finished with around 50 and in Malkin's spot.

Norris:

1. Shea Weber

2. Duncan Keith

3. Zdeno Chara

Anchor of one of the best defensive teams in the NHL, and out for a big year no doubt to get a huge contract locked up in the upcoming off-season. Chara will get on based on reputation alone, but he will surely have a good enough year to deserve another nomination. Chicago is going to bounce back in a big way and part of that will be Keith having a huge year. Omitting Lidstrom is something I was obviously reluctant to do, but he has to slow down sometime doesn't he? Lol...

Vezina:

1. Henrik Lundqvist

2. Pekka Rinne

3. Ryan Miller

Obviously I am not a huge Boston fan so I can't say for sure, but I am expecting Thomas to get more rests this year and Rask to get more starts. Obviously I don't know for sure, but it makes sense, so I am not sure Thomas will even get enough starts to win it this year, though he could definitely still wind up winning it. Henrik is arguably the best goalie in the NHL (quietly led the league in shutouts), and if the Rangers are going to do anything, he is the reason they will. Miller and Rinne are both obviously sick, and I expect Miller to bounce back from somewhat of a down year last year. Rinne is self explanatory, kid is a beast. This was probably the hardest award for me to predict.

Stanley Cup:

1. Chicago Blackhawks

2. Pittburgh Penguins (conditional on Crosby's health and effectiveness)

3. Washington Capitals

Those are my top 3, but this is going to be an awesome season. There are probably close to 10 teams that make a legit run at the title this year (those 3, Boston, Vancouver, San Jose, LA, Flyers maybe, Wings, Sabres and Lightning could make a run).

Chicago had a huge down year last year and I am expecting big things from their entire team this year. Obviously one of the most talent loaded teams in the league last year and gave the West champs a big run in the first round, and with Crawford having his first full year under his belt, he should be even better. The Pens and Caps are always an easy candidate as well. Adding Vokoun is huge for WAS, but I am not really sure if goaltending is the sole reason they lose every playoffs, regardless, they will make a run this year. All things considered, talent, experience, coaching, I think I like Chicago the best right now, as long as they can stay healthy.

Also, expect Pavel to regain his Selke award this year.

Edited by Check my Stats

Obviously it is pretty early to make predictions like this, but I'll take a stab at it. Only going to list 3 for each though because 5 is quite a bit IMO. Bold is my number 1 favourite.

Hart:

1. Alex Ovechkin

2. Evgeni Malkin

3. Martin St. Louis

With Crosby unlikely to play more than 70 games or be back in the groove enough to notch 100 points, I think Ovie reclaims his position as the best player in the league with Crosby hurt/not back in his groove for a while probably. It doesn't hurt the Caps will probably be the best team in the league. Malkin is gonna have a huge year, first time he's been motivated in a while, and is completely healthy by the sounds of things. St. Louis will continue to be ageless but really I picture this being a 2 man race between Ovie and Malkin.

Art Ross:

1. Alex Ovechkin

2. Evgeni Malkin

3. Martin St. Louis

Identical to my MVP rankings. Obviously the Sedins will probably be in the mix but I expect them to be in the low 90's this year (don't ask me why, just a hunch) while I expect St. Louis to be a borderline 100 point player again in what will be a big year in Tampa, helps he has one of the best pure goal scorers on his line. I also want to point out I think Patty Kane is in for a big year this year.

Rocket Richard:

1. Alex Ovechkin

2. Steven Stamkos

3. Evgeni Malkin

Corey Perry is maybe my favourite player in the entire league, but I don't see him grabbing the Richard for a 2nd straight year, but definitely a 40+ campaign is likely. Stamkos will bounce back (if 45 is a 'down year') and get 50 again, and Ovie will be having a huge year as I have stated a couple times already. I only picture there being 2 50 goal scorers this year, and I picture Malkin being in that 45 range. Would love if Perry proved me wrong though and finished with around 50 and in Malkin's spot.

Norris:

1. Shea Weber

2. Duncan Keith

3. Zdeno Chara

Anchor of one of the best defensive teams in the NHL, and out for a big year no doubt to get a huge contract locked up in the upcoming off-season. Chara will get on based on reputation alone, but he will surely have a good enough year to deserve another nomination. Chicago is going to bounce back in a big way and part of that will be Keith having a huge year. Omitting Lidstrom is something I was obviously reluctant to do, but he has to slow down sometime doesn't he? Lol...

Vezina:

1. Henrik Lundqvist

2. Pekka Rinne

3. Ryan Miller

Obviously I am not a huge Boston fan so I can't say for sure, but I am expecting Thomas to get more rests this year and Rask to get more starts. Obviously I don't know for sure, but it makes sense, so I am not sure Thomas will even get enough starts to win it this year, though he could definitely still wind up winning it. Henrik is arguably the best goalie in the NHL (quietly led the league in shutouts), and if the Rangers are going to do anything, he is the reason they will. Miller and Rinne are both obviously sick, and I expect Miller to bounce back from somewhat of a down year last year. Rinne is self explanatory, kid is a beast. This was probably the hardest award for me to predict.

Stanley Cup:

1. Chicago Blackhawks

2. Pittburgh Penguins (conditional on Crosby's health and effectiveness)

3. Washington Capitals

Those are my top 3, but this is going to be an awesome season. There are probably close to 10 teams that make a legit run at the title this year (those 3, Boston, Vancouver, San Jose, LA, Flyers maybe, Wings, Sabres and Lightning could make a run).

Chicago had a huge down year last year and I am expecting big things from their entire team this year. Obviously one of the most talent loaded teams in the league last year and gave the West champs a big run in the first round, and with Crawford having his first full year under his belt, he should be even better. The Pens and Caps are always an easy candidate as well. Adding Vokoun is huge for WAS, but I am not really sure if goaltending is the sole reason they lose every playoffs, regardless, they will make a run this year. All things considered, talent, experience, coaching, I think I like Chicago the best right now, as long as they can stay healthy.

Also, expect Pavel to regain his Selke award this year.

None of those are poor picks by any means, but I disagree with a few of them. I don't like your Norris, Verzina, and Stanley Cup winners.

I think Shea Weber would get it based on his reputation if he wins, but most Nashville fans and others seem to think that Suter is the better defenseman, but Weber has a big shot and is more "flashy".

I don't like Henrik as your #1 Vezina candidate either. If you were making a list based upon who you thought was the #1 goalie in the NHL, I don't think it would be a terrible choice, but you have to have a very good team to usually win the Vezina, and I don't think he'll have the numbers.

I'll make my predictions later.

That was not very bright for a dude trying to make the NHL roster. In fact, he basically had a spot nailed down once Shelley got suspended. Now I guess it's Rinaldo's to lose, but I am fully expecting him to do something suspension worthy before the regular season starts.

Anyway, thanks for joining me tonight Kyle!