2012 NBA All-Star Game

2012 NBA All-Star Game  

9 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Bosh should easily be the starter in the East... D-Will should not be in though.

Why not D-Will? The Nets' record sucks, but he's averaging 21/9/4 on the season, though his effiiency hasn't been great. Still, I think he's shown to be a better player than guys like Irving and Jennings.

Milsap is the only big snub for me, and Lawson/Lowry could have definitely made it for sure.

Why not D-Will? The Nets' record sucks, but he's averaging 21/9/4 on the season, though his effiiency hasn't been great. Still, I think he's shown to be a better player than guys like Irving and Jennings.

Milsap is the only big snub for me, and Lawson/Lowry could have definitely made it for sure.

He's been incredible as of late, but I'd venture to say he's played poorly in nearly half of the games played so far this year. He's averaging a career high in turnovers and a career low in FG%. I don't look at the team record when talking about All Stars, it's the fact that Deron has played his worst basketball in years. And no, the past 2 weeks or so doesn't compensate for his poor play early on. It's the same reason why Pierce shouldn't be in the game as well.

I'd definitely take Kyrie's season over Deron's, despite him playing poor defense. What he's done is spectacular.

He's been incredible as of late, but I'd venture to say he's played poorly in nearly half of the games played so far this year. He's averaging a career high in turnovers and a career low in FG%. I don't look at the team record when talking about All Stars, it's the fact that Deron has played his worst basketball in years. And no, the past 2 weeks or so doesn't compensate for his poor play early on. It's the same reason why Pierce shouldn't be in the game as well.

I'd definitely take Kyrie's season over Deron's, despite him playing poor defense. What he's done is spectacular.

Deron is a true PG playing on a team with an awful supporting cast that doesn't have it's only serious scoring threat in Brook Lopez. Because of that, it's not a shock that Williams hasn't been efficient and is playing the worst basketball in years (all of them being in a very PG friendly offense with a lot of weapons at his disposal). Still, his raw production has been very high (and his TS% of .535 is mediocre, not as inefficient as his raw FG% makes him look), and he's done about as much as any true PG in the league could do with that roster.

As for Irving, he has had an amazing season, especially for a rookie. However, his defense is awful (enough to where Byron Scott still doesn't give him the minutes his numbers indicate he deserves), and besides scoring efficiency he has nothing on Deron in terms of production...Williams averages 3 more points, 4 more assists (and better AST:TO ratio), and same number of rebounds. Deron's team just doesn't cater to his abilities well at all, but all things aside he is still hands-down a better player than Irving and his production has been at worst on-part.

There's no reason for Deron to be shooting 6 three's a game despite the lack of talent around him, especially when he's only hitting 35% of them. That's not exactly fitting for a "true PG".. Steve Nash is in a similar situation, yet is still managing the game very well. The fact is, Deron is forcing the issue far too much, and is averaging more turnovers than John Wall, which should never be the case. Does that really describe an All Star to you?

And it's not as if he's even playing his best when the Nets do lose. He's shot himself out of at least 10+ games this year.

Kyrie has closed out games, is putting up All Star numbers despite playing only 30 minutes, and isn't exactly in the most ideal situation either.

• Like 1

I get the point you are trying to make but stats are exactly that, stats. Look again but check out the roster and that will give you a better explanation of the situation.

I get the point you are trying to make but stats are exactly that, stats. Look again but check out the roster and that will give you a better explanation of the situation.

I've acknowledged that completely, but again, it's no excuse for him to be playing so inefficiently, especially for a guy who at one point rivaled Chris Paul as the best PG in the league. He has the experience to know taking 6 three's a game isn't a winning formula. Stats may not show me everything, but on top of me watching Deron play a handful of times this year, I watch John Wall play every game under similar, if not worse conditions. Yet I have no excuse for him turning the ball over nearly 4 times a game. The only excuse I have for his poor FG% is that he's a bad shooter. Is Deron? No. I understand what he's going through, but playing on a bad team is no excuse for a superstar playing as inefficient as he has.

I've acknowledged that completely, but again, it's no excuse for him to be playing so inefficiently, especially for a guy who at one point rivaled Chris Paul as the best PG in the league. He has the experience to know taking 6 three's a game isn't a winning formula. Stats may not show me everything, but on top of me watching Deron play a handful of times this year, I watch John Wall play every game under similar, if not worse conditions. Yet I have no excuse for him turning the ball over nearly 4 times a game. The only excuse I have for his poor FG% is that he's a bad shooter. Is Deron? No. I understand what he's going through, but playing on a bad team is no excuse for a superstar playing as inefficient as he has.

Replace Deron and put Kobe, Wade or Paul in and you have the same results. It's kinda hard to get into the paint when you have a front court of Johan Petro and Sheldon Williams which results in the god awful amount of three pointers. Should he be shooting those terrible shots and always have the ball in his hands? I'd rather him than anyone else on this roster plain and simple.

Like I said it's easy to look at the stats but how many games have you actually watched?

Replace Deron and put Kobe, Wade or Paul in and you have the same results. It's kinda hard to get into the paint when you have a front court of Johan Petro and Sheldon Williams which results in the god awful amount of three pointers. Should he be shooting those terrible shots and always have the ball in his hands? I'd rather him than anyone else on this roster plain and simple.

Like I said it's easy to look at the stats but how many games have you actually watched?

Kobe played with a lineup like this and managed to win 40 games and make the playoffs. That's a bad example.

Before this current stretch, Deron was playing some terrible basketball. We're seeing Steve Nash right now playing with teammates just as incompetent as the one's in New Jersey, and he's still finding ways to get his team good shots, and isn't letting the situation get the best of him. Is he not feeling the same pressure Deron is? How do you explain Nash playing so well?

And I've seen about 7 games. Small sample size, I know, but it's enough for me to form an opinion without looking just at stats.

Bottom line is I've seen Kyrie Irving play better basketball this season, and arguably the same goes to Brandon Jennings.

Kobe played with a lineup like this and managed to win 40 games and make the playoffs. That's a bad example.

Before this current stretch, Deron was playing some terrible basketball. We're seeing Steve Nash right now playing with teammates just as incompetent as the one's in New Jersey, and he's still finding ways to get his team good shots, and isn't letting the situation get the best of him. Is he not feeling the same pressure Deron is? How do you explain Nash playing so well?

And I've seen about 7 games. Small sample size, I know, but it's enough for me to form an opinion without looking just at stats.

Bottom line is I've seen Kyrie Irving play better basketball this season, and arguably the same goes to Brandon Jennings.

Kobe never played with as little talent as what Deron is playing with now. Steve Nash isn't either.

Even with the lackluster talent he still has managed to get Morrow, Humphries, Petro and Farmer are all having some of their best statistical seasons. Also look no further than the surprise play of Brooks and you have to give credit to Williams.

Nothing against Kyrie Irving because he's having one heck of a season but if Deron could get an extra ten minutes of rest per game, I'm sure the fatigue factor would lower the turnovers and maybe even the field goal percentage but everyone has their opinion.

• Owner

Brandon Jennings doesn't deserve to get in. Neither does Rudy Gay. If those guys make it, so does Monta Ellis.

Dirk getting in was just to satisfy Cuban, and they know that Dirk may consider skipping the game anyway. Let's be honest...there's no way Dirk deserved it over Pau Gasol, who is playing better right now. Even Millsap and Jefferson deserve it over Dirk.

Nash has definitely earned his spot.

• Like 1

• Owner

How does Rudy Gay not deserve to get in? He's the best player on a playoff bound team who's playing better ball than Dirk.

Marc Gasol is the best player on that team.

If it was all about playoff teams and their best players, though...why is Deron Williams in it? Why Nash? And who is representing the Hawks? Johnson??? Josh Smith should be in there on the East roster. Paul Millsap is tearing it up in Utah...he's actually having a better season than Gay, on a better team.

Memphis is currently 13-13, by the way...10th in the West.

Gay will have to adjust to the players around him if the Grizzlies want to go deep into the playoffs, not the other way around. Last postseason, Memphis did so well because they DIDN'T have Rudy Gay crippling their perimeter defense and taking shots away from Randolph. I thought that was pretty clear.

Kevin Love would like the NBA to take the MLB’s approach on All-Star games

http://media.zenfs.com/en/blogs/sptusnbaexperts/KLJKJKJK.jpg

No. NOOOOO. No, and no. And we're upset about this enough to "ratchet up the intensity" here at Ball Don't Lie and take Kevin out of consideration for the first-team All-NBA selection he has clearly earned so far in 2011-12. The NBA All-Star Game decides who gets home-court advantage in the Finals? The only group that could possibly be in favor of that are sports writers who often have to figure out if they have to pack for Miami or Chicago in the last second after a conference final ends and the Finals start a couple of days later. Everyone else? That's a big fat "BOO!"

Sorry, Kev. And I say this coming from a StL Cardinals fan, who utilized a late-season run last summer to sneak in the backdoor of the postseason, and a nice home-field turn a few weeks later on their way to a World Series win. Did the loss of home-field advantage destroy the Rangers' chances in the World Series? Maybe not. Did it hurt them, especially when it came down to a Gm 7 in Missouri? Perhaps. I'm sure they would have preferred to play the deciding game in Texas.

In basketball? Where the best team usually ends up winning it all? Things are different. Let's not mess with that to make a Sunday night game on TNT a little more interesting. As if Bud Selig's 2004 ruling about home-field advantage has made his All-Star game any more compelling.

Full Story

Your thoughts?

Kevin Love would like the NBA to take the MLB’s approach on All-Star games

http://media.zenfs.com/en/blogs/sptusnbaexperts/KLJKJKJK.jpg

That would be stupid. The NBA ASG is completely different than any other sport. This is the night I want to see Shaq dribbling up the court, JWill making an elbow pass, VC dunking it off the glass to himself... The NBA ASG is entertaining regardless of who wins imo. No reason to ruin it.

Kobe never played with as little talent as what Deron is playing with now. Steve Nash isn't either.

Even with the lackluster talent he still has managed to get Morrow, Humphries, Petro and Farmer are all having some of their best statistical seasons. Also look no further than the surprise play of Brooks and you have to give credit to Williams.

Nothing against Kyrie Irving because he's having one heck of a season but if Deron could get an extra ten minutes of rest per game, I'm sure the fatigue factor would lower the turnovers and maybe even the field goal percentage but everyone has their opinion.

In response to the first paragraph. Don't you remember the Lakers 2005-2006 roster. It's pretty ugly

Marc Gasol is the best player on that team.

If it was all about playoff teams and their best players, though...why is Deron Williams in it? Why Nash? And who is representing the Hawks? Johnson??? Josh Smith should be in there on the East roster. Paul Millsap is tearing it up in Utah...he's actually having a better season than Gay, on a better team.

Memphis is currently 13-13, by the way...10th in the West.

Gay will have to adjust to the players around him if the Grizzlies want to go deep into the playoffs, not the other way around. Last postseason, Memphis did so well because they DIDN'T have Rudy Gay crippling their perimeter defense and taking shots away from Randolph. I thought that was pretty clear.

I gotta disagree with you on that one. Although it is definitely arguable, I think Memphis would be in a much worse position without Rudy Gay than without Marc Gasol.

• Owner

I gotta disagree with you on that one. Although it is definitely arguable, I think Memphis would be in a much worse position without Rudy Gay than without Marc Gasol.

They didn't have a problem last season, nearly getting to the WCF without Gay.