General Baseball Thread

Phightins

• 2 weeks later...

Doug Fister throws nine straight strikeouts, says he was unaware he set AL record

Detroit Tigers pitcher Doug Fister set an American League record on Thursday, going through the entire Kansas City Royals lineup and issuing each member a strikeout in consecutive fashion. The nine straight strikeouts — spanning from Salvador Perez as the last out of the fourth to Billy Butler for the second out of the seventh inning — surpasssed the previous record of eight, set by several pitchers. Tom Seaver owns the National League record with 10.

Not that Fister knew he had etched his name into the history books with his feat. Prince Fielder approached him as the pair walked off the field in the seventh inning and Fister simply shook him off like a pesky telemarketer:

''Honestly, I had no idea,'' Fister told reporters. ''(Fielder) was yelling at me to step off during the inning, and I kind of looked at him. Normally, he'll do that, to slow me down, if I'm getting too quick. ... I thought that was kind of what he was doing there. He just said, 'Hey, step off.' I look at him, and he kept looking at me, and he said, 'Aw, I'll tell you later.'''

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/mlb-big-league-stew/doug-fister-throws-nine-straight-strikeouts-says-unaware-234314343--mlb.html

Jay Bruce appears to levitate in right field (Photo)

http://media.zenfs.com/en/blogs/sptusmlbexperts/redsbruce.jpg

Joe Robbins/Getty Images)

The power of Nuxhall compels you! Here's Cincinnati Reds right fielder Jay Bruce doing some sort of levitation routine after Milwaukee's Carlos Gomez hit a home run on Thursday afternoon. You'd think that Bruce might use that Iron Man-type blastoff power to improve that negative UZR of his and help turn Great American Ballpark into a pitcher's palace, but we can't all be Travis Snider-Man.

Source

• 3 weeks later...