Philadelphia Phillies 2010

Phightins

Matchup for Phillies-Braves series:

Tomorrow: Joe Blanton @ Tommy Hanson

Tuesday: Cole Hamels @ Tim Hudson

Wednesday: Kyle Kendrick @ Derek Lowe

Hopefully Placido Polanco returns at some point this series.

Also, I don't want to hear one more person complain about the Phillies having the three extra home games against Toronto. It is no more or less fair than the Braves having three more games against the Pirates than anyone else in the NL East, or that the Phillies play the Cardinals 8 times this season while some other NL East teams play them as little as four or five times, or that the Phillies interleague schedule includes 12 games against the Yankees, Red Sox, and Twins. As long as there is interleague baseball, the schedules will never be completely fair.

http://i148.photobucket.com/albums/s30/karib_photos/small_violin.jpg

Who cares who you play, it's absolute bull[expletive] that the Phillies get 3 more home games

http://i148.photobucket.com/albums/s30/karib_photos/small_violin.jpg

Who cares who you play, it's absolute bull[expletive] that the Phillies get 3 more home games

First of all....learn the right place and time to use the small violin joke. If you're trying to be funny, epic fail since that joke does not really work here.

But anyway, I don't think it's particularly fair either, but it's no more or less fair than any of the things I listed. I guess this just means we'll have to win the division by more than 3 games so we won't have to listen to Jeff Francouer and the rest of the sandy vaginas all winter.

But yes...this works out great for the Jays actually. They get most of the revenue, and it is three guaranteed sellouts. They will wind up doing better off of this series than they would have if it was played in Toronto. Major League Baseball is a money driven enterprise, so it's no surprise why the Jays agreed to do this.

Before the game today, Brad Lidge was activated from the disabled list and Nelson Figueroa was DFA'd. Guess that shows how little confidence they have in JC Romero, that they decided to keep Antonio Bastardo around instead of Figueroa.

Unbelievable. I have seen some bad slumps over the past 4-5 seasons (the time that this basic core has been in place), but nothing anywhere close to this. Just brutal. The one thing that has always carried the Phillies through the bad times in the past has been defense, and even that doesn't appear to be there now. Well, the one bright spot I suppose is that they can play this poorly for this extended amount of time and still just be a half game out of first place. Too much talent on this roster for this to last forever, one would think. They will snap out of this. But for now, they are horrific.

Unbelievable. I have seen some bad slumps over the past 4-5 seasons (the time that this basic core has been in place), but nothing anywhere close to this. Just brutal. The one thing that has always carried the Phillies through the bad times in the past has been defense, and even that doesn't appear to be there now. Well, the one bright spot I suppose is that they can play this poorly for this extended amount of time and still just be a half game out of first place. Too much talent on this roster for this to last forever, one would think. They will snap out of this. But for now, they are horrific.

The other bright spot for Phillies fans is that they're slumping at this point. It's better to slump in May than in September. They just need to make sure this doesn't turn into an extended skid.

Here's a chance to buy tickets to a guaranteed perfect game -- the one Roy Halladay already threw.

The Florida Marlins will begin selling on Tuesday unused tickets to the game in which the Philadelphia Phillies ace pitched the 20th perfect game in major league history, a 1-0 victory over the Marlins on Saturday.

All tickets will be regularly priced at "face value" and on sale both online and through the Marlins' box office.

ESPN

Who do you guys think they will go after at the trade deadline? Their closer spot is looking questionable, Ibanez blows and Howard isn't hitting homeruns.

Middle relief is basically it, unless there is a significant injury elsewhere between now and then. The hitters will come around and the rotation has been fine (and showing a surprising amount of depth). Even if Brad Lidge is bad, I don't think they will trade for a closer since I really don't see any better "option B"s out there than Jose Contreras.

But if they can find a sucker to take Ibanez's contract, I'd be shocked if they don't go for it. That will not happen, though.

Edited by Phightins

Middle relief is basically it, unless there is a significant injury elsewhere between now and then. The hitters will come around and the rotation has been fine (and showing a surprising amount of depth). Even if Brad Lidge is bad, I don't think they will trade for a closer since I really don't see any better "option B"s out there than Jose Contreras.

But if they can find a sucker to take Ibanez's contract, I'd be shocked if they don't go for it. That will not happen, though.

Contreras did good the other night but I think their losing streak masked the fact that closer is still questionable.

Who do you guys think they will go after at the trade deadline? Their closer spot is looking questionable, Ibanez blows and Howard isn't hitting homeruns.

your right, phillies should trade howard. he only has 8 homeruns this year, he is horrible. it doesnt matter that he has 130+ rbis the past 4 years, he cant hit homeruns now, so he is horrible

Contreras did good the other night but I think their losing streak masked the fact that closer is still questionable.

Contreras has been fabulous this year, it was not just a one night thing. Arguably the best "minor" signing of the winter. I don't want to see the Phillies trade for Bobby Jenks or someone of that ilk just for the sake of having a "proven closer". I'd take Contreras as my closer over anybody who could possibly be traded this deadline. If Heath Bell is available I'd reconsider, but it looks like the Padres will be in contention. And even if he was available, the Padres would ask for way way too much.

I think it is time for Charlie to throw some [expletive] around in the clubhouse. Offensive slumps I can live with, poor fundamentals and a seeming lack of caring I cannot.

Also, I'd like to know who the idiot was that decided to start the game in a downpour was. Thanks for a wasted Cole Hamels start!