Philadelphia Phillies 2010

Phightins

I love Ryan Howard. Glad to see a deal has been made to keep him here long term.

That being said though, he is getting a [expletive]load of money. Hopefully this doesn't backfire a couple of years from now. I hope he doesn't turn into a David Ortiz.

Yeah, it's absolutely a huge risk, and God forbid something happens to him during this contract, it will be disastrous. I think the Phillies were kind of backed into a corner though. Their options were either sign him to this deal right now or lose him to free agency in 2 years. If they waited until this winter to try to work something out, they may have had to deal with Pujols/Fielder/Gonzalez getting extensions and possibly setting the market even higher. But the bottom line is that the hitters like Ryan Howard do not come along every day, and no matter what the Sabermetric geeks will tell you, this offense does not roll without him. Are they overpaying? Probably. But they kind of had to. Lets hope it doesn't backfire.

Edited by Phightins

http://media.philly.com/images/sub_howard_chart.jpg

For the time being. Albert Pujols and Prince Fielder will likely wind up with a higher annual salary than Ryan Howard by the time 2012 rolls around, Pujols especially.

Brad Lidge says he is ready to go. Thank God.

He threw a scoreless inning in AA tonight and struck out the side. My only concern is that, according to the stadium gun, his fastball was topping out at 88 mph. Who knows how accurate that is, though. And it's not like he throws a blazing fastball in the first place. Anyway, this bullpen needs him back badly.

not at all. yankees just sign big name players, phillies dont

Hate to say it but he's right. The Phillies have joined the Yankees and Red Sox in MLB's financial elite. As they should be, considering the insane amount of money they are making.

On another note....this offense is horrendous right now. Proves my theory that Jimmy Rollins is the most valuable hitter in the Phillies lineup. They need him back ASAP.

Hate to say it but he's right. The Phillies have joined the Yankees and Red Sox in MLB's financial elite. As they should be, considering the insane amount of money they are making.

just by numbers then yes the phillies are getting up there near the yankees, but they dont spend the money nearly the same way as the yankees do. most of the yankees payroll is from signing free agents like tex, CC, burnett, etc (obviously a few exceptions like jeter). the phillies have not signed a top tier free agent like that (traded equal value for halladay and lee before him. polanco, ibanez, etc weren't top tier free agents)

just by numbers then yes the phillies are getting up there near the yankees, but they dont spend the money nearly the same way as the yankees do. most of the yankees payroll is from signing free agents like tex, CC, burnett, etc (obviously a few exceptions like jeter). the phillies have not signed a top tier free agent like that (traded equal value for halladay and lee before him. polanco, ibanez, etc weren't top tier free agents)

The Ryan Howard and Raul Ibanez contracts are perfect examples of why the Phillies are indeed in that group. They signed Raul Ibanez to a 3 year , $31 million contract when he was 36 years old, knowing that in all likelihood, he'd be well into decline well before the contract is up. The Ryan Howard contract is the same deal. They will be paying him $25 million as a 37 year old, and unless you are a roided up Barry Bonds, power hitters start their decline well before that age. (That is why all the SABR guys like Keith Law and Rob Neyer hate this deal, because they are not capable of looking at baseball multidimensionally. They can't see intangibles, business strategy, a team going above and beyond to make a statement, etc. All they see are trends, numbers, wins-above-replacement, etc). So the Phillies signed these contracts knowing they'd probably be wishing they're off the books well before they end, with just the short term in mind. That is taking a page right out of the Yankees book. Nobody else does that, it's bad money for at least 26 of the other teams.

Edited by Phightins

It will be nice for them to get back home. As usual, they played like absolute [expletive] at AT&T Park. I know it's just April and there are some major injuries, but this is frustrating as hell.

I just looked at the Phillies pitching staff :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Do you guys actually expect to win another division title with just Roy Halladay? Better hope someone else steps up...

Well considering we have been missing our 3, 4 (arguably 2 and 3, depending on who you ask), and closer for the entire season (all three should be back within a week or so), I don't see much of a reason to worry yet.

Edited by Phightins

Well considering we have been missing our 3, 4 (arguably 2 and 3, depending on who you ask), and closer for the entire season (all three should be back within a week or so), I don't see much of a reason to worry yet.

Can never count on pitchers returning from injuries...position players okay, pitchers you never know.

Edited by Fish7718

Can never count on pitchers returning from injuries...position players okay, pitchers you never know.

I will take my chances with a healthy JA Happ and Joe Blanton over Kyle Kendrick and Nelson Figueroa. I will also take my chances with Brad Lidge pitching the 9th under any circumstances over Ryan Madson.

As I was saying, the Phillies have been missing the most irreplaceable piece of their lineup, 2/5 of their rotation, and their 2 best relief pitchers. If all those guys come back healthy and the Phillies are still this bad, then I will worry.

I just looked at the Phillies pitching staff :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Do you guys actually expect to win another division title with just Roy Halladay? Better hope someone else steps up...

ok mets fan, lemme know when you can finish off a season before you try to rip on a team who has been to two straight world series

ok mets fan, lemme know when you can finish off a season before you try to rip on a team who has been to two straight world series

What does my team affiliate have to do with me asking this question. I honestly wanted to know how the Phillies were to compete with such a depleted pitching staff. Phightins responded with a good response explaining that you guys expect to get some guys back and I said okay, that makes sense.

What does my team affiliate have to do with me asking this question. I honestly wanted to know how the Phillies were to compete with such a depleted pitching staff. Phightins responded with a good response explaining that you guys expect to get some guys back and I said okay, that makes sense.

im pretty sure that saying:

I just looked at the Phillies pitching staff :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

isnt just asking about how the phillies are going to deal with the injuries

Most of our big names are from farm system.

Yanks steal players with big $$$.

The Yankees still deserve a lot of credit. Lots of these big names that they sign are Type-A free agents, which means the Yankees are giving up a lot of high draft picks to sign these guys. Yet despite all of that, their farm system has produced some pretty good players the past 10 years or so. That is good scouting. Also, they had to have a pretty good farm to be able to pull off some of the trades they've done (A-Rod and Granderson are two examples).

And of course, it goes without saying that the 4 mainstays of this current generation of Yankees (Jeter, Rivera, Posada, and Pettitte) all came up through the Yankees system.

Edited by Phightins

Also...matchups for Phillies-Mets series:

Tomorrow: Jon Niese vs. Kyle Kendrick

Saturday: Mike Pelfrey vs. Roy Halladay

Sunday: Johan Santana vs. Jamie Moyer

I am going on Saturday, excited to finally see Doc. It better be a good game since I will be missing game 1 of the Flyers-Bruins series to go.