XXI Olympic Winter Games

bigdog17k

Vancouver - It's unclear whether NHL players will be part of the 2014 Winter Olympics in Sochi but both coaches in yesterday's gold medal game were emphatic that they should be.

"We do a pretty good job of stealing players from other countries and I think their fans deserve a chance to see a tournament like this," said Team USA head coach Ron Wilson.

Wilson had two suggestions for the Olympic hockey: a few more days added to the NHL's Olympic break and playing the tournament on North American ice as opposed to the larger international surface.

Canadian head coach Mike Babcock echoed both those sentiments.

"I think the best players in the world should have an opportunity to compete in the Olympics," said Babcock. "This is a great showcase event and players are thrilled to be here. I'm a big fan of the ice surface being the same as well because think the game is so much better."

If the NHLers are back in four years, team Canada executive director Steve Yzerman said he would welcome the chance to lead Canada's effort to defend its gold medal.

"One thing Hockey Canada does is not only develop young players and coaches, it develops young managers as well," said Yzerman. "So there's a decision if they want to give this opportunity to someone else."

"I loved it but it was very stressful. Given the opportunity to represent Canada and be in charge, I didn't hesitate the first time and I wouldn't hesitate again."

While there were concerns that NHL players at the Olympics wouldn't mesh with the overall games, the players seemed to see themselves as part of the larger Canadian effort, earning Canada its record 14th gold medal on the final day of the Games.

"We were looking for our first (gold medal) at home and all of a sudden we're setting a record," said Canada's Jerome Iginla. "It's special to be part of that."

http://www.ctvolympics.ca/hockey/news/newsid=54693.html?cid=rsstsn