Announcement

Real Deal

• Owner

This was posted while the board was down, just in case you missed it.

To all who are registered OTRBasketball members,

Apparently, there was a huge misunderstanding. For months, I was handed proof of certain members asking others to basically trash the site. This included spam and trolling. Some of you were around when a member registered to post my pictures, in addition to other photos (non-related) that are inappropriate for anyone under the age of 18. At that time, the incident was expected. A random member from the site was providing me with what seemed to be legit AIM chat transcripts, as well as screenshots, showing our very own members agreeing to this "plan" that was supposedly being carried out on the site over time.

While a fraction of it was true, it became more of a witch hunt for me. I had proof of a few members causing problems intentionally, a couple of which were already suspended or banned, but the strategy used by this one member, who acted as if he wanted to help the site, was geared towards putting us under.

Over time, as problems were arising on the forums, I decided to try and find connections. I was receiving harassing messages over Facebook, and so was my girlfriend, which led her to drop her duties updating our OTR Facebook group. Two particular people (one named Derek, the other Jeff) were involved in those incidents, but both were asked to stick up for a friend that is registered (possibly banned) on OTR.

Fast-forward to earlier this week, past many other incidents I'll decline to discuss. With Lakers fans and non-Lakers fans going at each others' throats, and material posted on both sides that I had to question immediately, I had to make a decision. In my eyes, it was obvious what needed to be done, and I gained the support from many others in the process, including our two administrators. HOWEVER, as everyone knows, it did not boil over well with a handful of members, some who I suspected were part of this "crew" that wanted to wreck the forums.

After talking with one of those guys, and immediately after an incident involving this "helpful member" proved he wasn't as helpful as I assumed, I found that I literally played into the hands of this guy. It's still unknown who it is, and while most of us had our suspicions, he could still be a registered member on the site. To lay it all out on the table, this one guy gained my trust with what looked to be extremely credible information, and coincidently, he was correct in most of the arguments that broke out on OTR over the last 2-3 months, becoming very convincing when handing over "proof" of those who wanted the site to fail.

Maybe he got what he truly wanted. He won. He manipulated everything in front of my face, and mocked me once the final chapter was written. It was this one guy that gave out my phone number, possibly having his friends call me, and it was this one guy that probably did the most damage of all. While I was ready to close the site down until the summer, the delete happened after the response by everyone else...which, ultimately, was triggered by some guy, who may have been banned months ago, possibly years ago.

There is a database backup, one that I created before I closed the board down temporarily, then through the delete. Aaron has months of backups. However, the board is completely deleted, which includes the skin, images, modifications, and team roster pages. I can't say what will happen with OTR. Money and time have never been an issue, for five years, until I felt as if I was losing control of my own site, believing that there was a group targeting all of our active members and discussions, in a negative way. Today, the desire isn't there to go through all of the work with installing the board, coding another skin, and performing modification installs, just to get back to normal. Most of you are enjoying other sites, which is just fine; I talked to AboveLegit before a lot of you registered at CTS, and I was already aware of where you guys were going from the start.

I like to tell everyone how secure OTR has been. Since the hack, I've been adamant about installing every update possible, and coding the skin with special care not to open up a security hole. Unfortunately, someone turned me against my own site, and for being so gullible, I apologize. I think I would rather be hacked again. No credit to him, though; the pieces fell perfectly, at just the right time, when we all want to root against each others' teams and players...and to be honest, he did little to nothing other than lie through his teeth.

Truthfully, I have nothing to say in regards to what will happen with OTR. All files are deleted, the original hosting has been canceled, the Facebook and MySpace stuff has been permanently deleted, and if I did't have those backups of our database, this would be very similar to the major hack we suffered last year. Everyone has to realize that, yes, things have to be taken seriously if money is coming out of your pocket, and significant time is being put into the site, with no benefits other than discussing basketball every day. If something happens, word will get around, but I really don't want the high expectations this time.

A lot of us were dealing with this person over the last 2-3 days, so there doesn't need to be much said about it.

Let's continue what we've been doing for five years, guys, and leave the outsiders looking in.

• Owner

It was going to stay closed down, until I found out ONE person was responsible for turning me against everyone (and now he's trying to turn the members against each other, some know what I'm talking about).

But that will die down. One guy isn't going to get what he wants.

He outsmarted me...good for him, but his "success" (if that's what you want to call it) is short-lived.

That's not good. Why not?

It was unnecessary to begin with, all my time & knowledge was thrown aside. Who's to say it won't happen again? Like I said though, glad he site is back up... I'm just annoyed.

It was unnecessary to begin with, all my time & knowledge was thrown aside. Who's to say it won't happen again? Like I said though, glad he site is back up... I'm just annoyed.

I think that's the general consensus of all the members, I'm back but I definitely won't be as active as I was before knowing that it might get shut down if 3 members start arguing with the owner...

• Owner

Gotta read the first post to understand how it happened. I think people were listening to others WAY too much hours after the board was closed down.

However, I'm not going to worry about it this time around. If you post less, or don't post at all, that's perfectly fine. We'll move on.

Gotta read the first post to understand how it happened. I think people were listening to others WAY too much hours after the board was closed down.

However, I'm not going to worry about it this time around. If you post less, or don't post at all, that's perfectly fine. We'll move on.

I understand how it happened, and I believe it. I just hope we are past all of it...and I understand, not a threat to you or to anyone just a statement.

Forget yall. I will always support OTR.

With all the [expletive] RD and the mods have forgiven me for I can forgive them for some things too. Nobody is perfect. If anything you guys shouldnt be less active, you should try to be better members like I am trying to be. Maybe if the members were better none of this would happen.

Edited by kingfish

It doesn't matter what was said, it's what was done.

I'm not saying you're in the wrong or anything, just don't expect everyone to come running back as if nothing happened.