Official "Health and Fitness" Thread

Cobb

Man I am 6'1 170...I do not move from around that weight no matter what. I get bigger (at least I think so) but my weight stays exactly the same. My goal is to get to like 175 and below 10% body fat by around June.

I don't understand it either, I have a friend who is like an inch shorter than me and has the same body type as me but he weighs 175. He doesn't even work out.

Edited by SRV

Speaking of eating, is brown rice a good way to lose body fat? Last year I did this brown rice thing and I dropped like 10 pounds, but I lost muscle and I was really strict on what I ate, I had a streak of eating only 2,000 calories a day for like 2 weeks. I have been doing it now for like 3 weeks but keeping my calories around 3,000 and I am not really seeing results. I read a lot that carbs are not good for losing fat, but these are complex carbs so I am guessing it helps in some way.

Well, I weigh around 180-181 now, and my goal from the beginning of when I started lifting (September) was to get to 190 pounds by May from 160 (30 pound gain).

I started taking true mass, and no-xplode, and just tried to eat as much as I could.

I gained 10 pounds on my first tub, then 5 pounds on my 2nd tub to get to 175.

I started noticing that I wasnt gaining any weight for maybe a month so I decided to increase my calorie intake by a 1000 to 4000, and I am here at 180 today.

To get to 190 faster I need to try and take in 5000-5500 calories a day, so I am gonna try and drink 2 shakes per day with my protein bar

My shake which I put in my blender with 2 eggs, 1 banana, peanut butter, serious mass and milk gets me 2600 calories

I am trying to get true mass, and milk to put in my shaker cup for an additional 1000 calories, then i also have my protein bar for 360 calories

Thats 2 shakes + protein bar which gets me close to 4000 itself, and then a few meals and I am at 5000+ calories.

The goal is to get to 190 by May 1st (over 2 months from now), and Im about 9 pounds away. After that I'll be going on a cut by putting my calorie intake at about 2500, do cardio, lift weights, eat correctly, and keep my fat intake to a minimum.

Gotta work my ass off to get to my goals XD

I can't possibly get 4,000-5,000 calories a day. I struggle to get to 3,500. My problem is that I am allergic to peanuts so I can't eat that, I am not too big on fruits and vegetables either. I basically get all my calories from eggs, oatmeal, milk, protein powder, chicken and brown rice. That is literally what I eat everyday, when I am at school I either have Subway or Chick Fil A but I eat the same stuff all the time. Doesn't matter now though, I am trying to lose fat instead of gaining weight like crazy. Next time around I am going to aim for 4,000 because I went from 153-165 in like a month and a half, then I just didn't gain a pound for a while and then I put on 5 pounds around Christmas time.

I can't possibly get 4,000-5,000 calories a day. I struggle to get to 3,500. My problem is that I am allergic to peanuts so I can't eat that, I am not too big on fruits and vegetables either. I basically get all my calories from eggs, oatmeal, milk, protein powder, chicken and brown rice. That is literally what I eat everyday, when I am at school I either have Subway or Chick Fil A but I eat the same stuff all the time. Doesn't matter now though, I am trying to lose fat instead of gaining weight like crazy. Next time around I am going to aim for 4,000 because I went from 153-165 in like a month and a half, then I just didn't gain a pound for a while and then I put on 5 pounds around Christmas time.

With mass gainers, 4000-5000 calories is definitely possible for anybody.

Meh, just find some friends to go to the gym with who are motivated and will drag your ass along no matter what lol. The food part is understandable.

I lift every day.

I was mainly saying that the college food here is the hard part. The meal plan here makes it almost impossible to actually eat healthy.

• Owner

Slaven, you have to be careful throwing down that many calories, even when you're not seeing much of a weight gain right now. As you get older, your metabolism gets wacky, so you're liable to put on a lot of weight FAST if you keep it up...and here's the thing: you may not take in 5,000 a day for much longer, but your body will begin to crave that much, and you'll find yourself eating more once you try and take it a step down.

I know a LOT of guys who went through that problem, guys that I go to the gym with (well, who are there when I'm there). Some were pretty damn skinny, around your height and weight, and some were under 10% body fat and, basically, all muscle weight (and over 220 pounds).

Also, how much protein are you eating each day? It may be good for bulking up, but too much will tear your organs up, mainly your kidneys, because your body develops dangerous ketones if you eat too much protein (I would know best, lol).

Slaven, you have to be careful throwing down that many calories, even when you're not seeing much of a weight gain right now. As you get older, your metabolism gets wacky, so you're liable to put on a lot of weight FAST if you keep it up...and here's the thing: you may not take in 5,000 a day for much longer, but your body will begin to crave that much, and you'll find yourself eating more once you try and take it a step down.

I know a LOT of guys who went through that problem, guys that I go to the gym with (well, who are there when I'm there). Some were pretty damn skinny, around your height and weight, and some were under 10% body fat and, basically, all muscle weight (and over 220 pounds).

Also, how much protein are you eating each day? It may be good for bulking up, but too much will tear your organs up, mainly your kidneys, because your body develops dangerous ketones if you eat too much protein (I would know best, lol).

Protein? I take in about on average anywhere from 180-220gs a day

• Owner

Protein? I take in about on average anywhere from 180-220gs a day

That's quite a bit. Protein doesn't exactly have THAT big of an impact on your muscle mass, either. I've had three different professional nutritionists telling me all of this stuff over the years (relating to my diabetes AND working out).

They say you should take your weight and multiply it by 0.37 to find out how much you need. It's going to be under 100 for you, but assuming you're drinking more water and eating much more calories, I'd say 150 is probably where you want to be (or under it).

That's quite a bit. Protein doesn't exactly have THAT big of an impact on your muscle mass, either. I've had three different professional nutritionists telling me all of this stuff over the years (relating to my diabetes AND working out).

They say you should take your weight and multiply it by 0.37 to find out how much you need. It's going to be under 100 for you, but assuming you're drinking more water and eating much more calories, I'd say 150 is probably where you want to be (or under it).

I just do 1 gram per body weight, and I am at 180 now.

Thing is even though I am eating that many calories a day, I still won't gain fat, like 95% of my gains have been pure muscle.

Like around October I had my body fat and weight checked, I was 163, and had 10.2% body fat, and when I got that checked again around December I was 170, and 8.2% body fat which surprised me even though I was bulking.

• Owner

By the way, they do say that if you're doing heavy strength training (meaning, you're an athlete), you should take your body weight (in kg's) and multiply it by 1.8 to get your amount of protein.

So if you're 180, which is around 81-82 kg, you should be taking in 150g of protein and a lot of water.