Official "Health and Fitness" Thread

Cobb

Yo.. Dudes.. I just got a manufacturer's coupon for $20 off a 5lb tub of Gold Standard Whey Protein. If you want it, let me know and I'll PM it.

They're about $45 so you're paying the same price for a 5 lb jug as you would for 2 lbs.

Yo.. Dudes.. I just got a manufacturer's coupon for $20 off a 5lb tub of Gold Standard Whey Protein. If you want it, let me know and I'll PM it.

They're about $45 so you're paying the same price for a 5 lb jug as you would for 2 lbs.

Me :)

Starting my summer workout on Monday. I am 5'9, weight 160 pounds. Kinda fat, trying to lose some fat and just get cut this summer. Head into college looking more athletic and ripped.

Anyway someone could give me a good workout and eating schedule? I'll rep any helpful post. I'm really trying to lose some body fat and get cut.

Anyone? lol

Bro there is no SOLID number to lose per week. Most people say it's healthy to lose 1-2 lbs a week, some say 3-4 a week and some say .5 lbs a week. It's all broscience, just do you, he'll do him and you guys lose weight at different rates. It shouldn't be an argument.

Bro there is no SOLID number to lose per week. Most people say it's healthy to lose 1-2 lbs a week, some say 3-4 a week and some say .5 lbs a week. It's all broscience, just do you, he'll do him and you guys lose weight at different rates. It shouldn't be an argument.

It has nothing to do with who's correct (believe me, I know my statement is lol) but rather the fact that he doubts my knowledge when he hasn't posted one bit of fact in this thread directed towards me.

Funny how you side-step my post, huh?

I have no need to respond to you when you keep citing one doctor who's book is full of fallacies.

There are MANY doctors that actually do the P90x program, so I guess they are dumb too? I guess nutritionists and fitness coaches are dumb too?

Maybe it's just you?

Oh, and here's one of the first sites that popped up when I searched "how much weight is healthy to lose in one week?".

http://www.mens-total-fitness.com/body-fat.html

I guess the American College of Sports Medicine must be dumb too. :lol: .

Starting P90X tomorrow. This will be the second time I've done it, last time was my junior year in high school so I'm a little rusty. I'll be using the adjustable bowflex dumbbells this time around. :P

Aren't those like $600 or some crazy [expletive] like that lol?

They retail for $600ish but you can get them on eBay for about $150-200. I wouldn't tho, they break very easily. Just get the weight-adjustable metal ones and you'll be fine. You shouldn't need more than a DB going up to 40 lbs for P90x. They only use 35ish lbs for the videos and they're all jacked.

I have no need to respond to you when you keep citing one doctor who's book is full of fallacies.

There are MANY doctors that actually do the P90x program, so I guess they are dumb too? I guess nutritionists and fitness coaches are dumb too?

Maybe it's just you?

Oh, and here's one of the first sites that popped up when I searched "how much weight is healthy to lose in one week?".

http://www.mens-total-fitness.com/body-fat.html

I guess the American College of Sports Medicine must be dumb too. :lol: .

the fact that you're either too dim to understand what I'm saying or just choosing not to understand what I'm saying shows a lot about you. I never said p90x didn't work, not sure where you're pulling that blasphemy from (possibly out of your [expletive], once again).

what fact have you shown? that website shows nothing to disprove the statement, "it's healthiest to lose .5 pounds per." quoting a website does nothing for me, especially since you can't explain WHY it's not best to lose this minimal amount of weight. i'll quote myself on this one:

It's not credible? Are you stupid? Look at my first post in this thread and read that book before you say something as idiotic as that. The author has his Ph. D, more credentials than you have LOL.

It's MOST healthy to lose .5 per week. Just as you become fat slowly, over years you must lose fat slowly as well. When you remain at a particular level of fat for over a year or two, the body develops all the adipose cells, capillaries, enzyme counts, peripheral nerves, hormone and connective tissue to support it. It comes to recognize that level of fat as self and will defend it vigorously, that is your fat point. It's monitored by hormonal messengers like glycerol which warn the brain if even a single ounce of fat is used as fuel. So the usual form of dieting (including 20+ pounds in a month, ridiculous) can't possibly work. It will slow your metabolism, increase the fat storage and increase your appetite.

After studies at the Colgan Institute, it's been proven that the most a person can reduce their food intake to reset the fatpoint is 10% per day. Any more than .5 pounds of fat loss per week is a warning that you are reducing too much. It's a slow process but the reward is a great, healthy body.

Likely if you're losing 20+ pounds a month you are losing A LOT of muscle too, people don't get that. It will give you hell in the future but if you're looking for the quick fix (as most Americans are) go with your 20+ pound per month losses LOL.

i'd like you to show me a list of the doctors who use p90x, and I'll be happy to list the athletes, nutritionists, etc. who reference the book on the first page...

Aren't those like $600 or some crazy [expletive] like that lol?

They're my dad's and he got them on ebay for about $150. I've used them for standard weight lifting and they're pretty good, just a little clunky which might be a problem for some of the workouts. When college starts back up again I'll probably be buying standard dumbbells when I figure out all my consistent weights. I just don't see myself bringing the Bowflex set to my room lol, that'd be kind of a pain in the [expletive].

They retail for $600ish but you can get them on eBay for about $150-200. I wouldn't tho, they break very easily. Just get the weight-adjustable metal ones and you'll be fine. You shouldn't need more than a DB going up to 40 lbs for P90x. They only use 35ish lbs for the videos and they're all jacked.

They are all ripped*. Not jacked.

Just learned a valuable lesson... don't eat right before your first workout in a long time. Just got done with Chest and Back + Ab Ripper X with no breaks and ended up puking in the toilet. :sick:

lmao, yeah you are supposed to eat about an hour - hour and a half before your workout

I did day 1 today as well, it was rough but I didn't puke lol... I had a sandwich about a half hour before I did it.... the pushups and pullups were rough as hell, especially the 2nd round through.... I haven't got a sweat on like that in a LONG time. I had to buy one of the pull-up bars for 40 bucks, it was pretty good, I just couldn't do the wide grip pullups or whatever they are called, which is fine, I just did another set of something else.

The pull-ups were the biggest struggle for me... I know for next time not to go so hard on the first round, I was pretty much dead the 2nd time through.

All I have right now is the resistance cords and a pair of 25 lbs dumbells, I need to wait until next paycheck to buy some more dumbells lol, [expletive] is expensive.... I will probably just buy the dumbell bars and a few 10 lbs plates and some 5's too.

But overall, I will probably be feeling this a lot more tomorrow. Gotta work tonight, I won't be moving at all haha.

Weighing in on day one at 5'10 151 lbs.

Edited by travesy3