Philadelphia Flyers 2010-2011

Phightins

2 game suspension for Jody Shelley for the hit on McQuaid. Although the hit was more reckless than malicious, and clearly unintentional, I am not really surprised. Not really upset either. Jody Shelley is an epic waste of roster space.

This might be a rough one tonight. Flyers played at home last night, Montreal is rested and playing in their building. Plus, Bob plays for the first time in a week, his longest layoff of the year, and the Flyers may still be on a hangover from the big win vs. Pittsburgh. We'll see.

Chris Pronger is having foot surgery and will be out 4-6 weeks. This is never good, but it couldn't have happened at a better part of the schedule. Two games this weekend, then 8 days off. So that's a nice chunk of that time. Of course, after that break they go on a long west coast road trip, so not having him for that will suck.

Sorry!

But now that I think about it, if Jody Shelley was never suspended, Zherdev is probably still in the press box every game. In the 3 games since he's been back in the lineup, he has 5 points. Hopefully they have finally come to their senses and realize that Shelley brings next to nothing.

• 2 weeks later...

It's clear you guys were flat, that's a long layoff, but I was hoping for a bit of a closer game. I don't think it's the measuring stick game everyone here in Vancouver wanted, but a win is a win. Ryan Kesler and the Sedin's were great again, they really carry this team. I'd love to see a Philly/Vancouver Stanley Cup Finals though, if you can get goaltending sorted out you guys should be there.

It's clear you guys were flat, that's a long layoff, but I was hoping for a bit of a closer game. I don't think it's the measuring stick game everyone here in Vancouver wanted, but a win is a win. Ryan Kesler and the Sedin's were great again, they really carry this team. I'd love to see a Philly/Vancouver Stanley Cup Finals though, if you can get goaltending sorted out you guys should be there.

I was at the Eagles game so I missed it...but yeah, heard they were as flat as most expected. Also heard that Jody Shelley will probably be suspended, which is the only good sports news for me today.

And yeah, I agree. The goaltending is interesting. Pisses me off that they are using Bob so rarely now (and probably even more rarely now with Leighton healthy). I'd rather see him play every day in the AHL than sparingly with the big club. But the AHL team is a mess this year (on pace to potentially be the worst team in AHL history), so maybe it's a good idea to keep him far away from all of that. No idea really. Best bet is probably to trade/waive Leighton, but who knows what they have planned.

Ok, Sergei Bobrovsky needs to be the primary goalie. I realize he still has work to do, but he is still the best option they have. And he needs to play to improve. The AHL is not an option at this point, he will do nothing but lose and his GAA will go through the roof. That will do nothing for confidence. Brian Boucher is a fantastic backup since he is capable of playing once every week, or once every 2 weeks, and still being somewhat sharp. Michael Leighton needs to play significant minutes just to be halfway sharp. Have to think they are showcasing Leights for a trade right now, because if I were in charge, Bob would be the main guy, Boosh would be the backup, and Leights would be elsewhere. That is also the best scenario cap-wise if they can make it work.

Edited by Phightins

There is a lot of talk that the Flyers are frontrunners to host the Winter Classic next year. That would be pretty sweet, and it actually makes a bit of sense. The Flyers were just in this last year, but when you think about the realistic choices that NBC/the NHL have for hosting this game, the list is very small.

The game would supposedly be at Lincoln Financial Field. I'd much rather have it at CBP, but the NHL likes the football stadium model more than the baseball stadium model. Either way, it would be fun.

Also, the future of this game depends a lot on the NHL's next television contract. The deal with NBC/Versus is running out, and if ESPN gets the next contract, there is a chance that they will want to can the game (as a New Years Day thing, anyway) so that it does not take away ratings from their New Years Day bowl games. But similarly, the NHL will probably demand that the new network agrees to the Winter Classic idea, since it is the league's biggest money maker each year.

• 2 weeks later...