General Hockey Thread 2010-2011

Phightins

Over the captain thing? I seriously doubt that.

Nah, Toronto Globe and Mail reported this yesterday, before the captains were announced. Supposedly he is pissed about the NHL's lack of progress on banning head shots or some nonsense, so he was going to skip the ASG to send a message. But today his agent called BS.

Nabby signed with the Wings but is going through waivers.

Pro-rated, the contract is only for like $250,000. No way he makes it through waivers. One interesting theory I have heard is that the Devils will claim him, keep him for a week, and then waive him (at which point the Red Wings would get first dibs). Sort of an "eff you" to the NHL for the Kovalchuk penalties.

Not really a tool. He's 35 years old and clearly wants a Cup but Islanders are like 14 to 40 years away from that.

It's not like this is Patrick Roy attempting a comeback here. Remember, this is a guy who was out of the NHL because nobody wanted to pay him $5 million last summer. If he really wants back into the NHL, he needs to realize that this is the path he needs to follow.

It's not like this is Patrick Roy attempting a comeback here. Remember, this is a guy who was out of the NHL because nobody wanted to pay him $5 million last summer. If he really wants back into the NHL, he needs to realize that this is the path he needs to follow.

Three straight 40 win seasons may not be Patrick Roy but he's no career back up. The path he followed was signing with the Red Wings for a chance to win just like the rest of the free agents. Islanders are the ones that are stupid since this is just more embarassment that was uncalled for.

Three straight 40 win seasons may not be Patrick Roy but he's no career back up. The path he followed was signing with the Red Wings for a chance to win just like the rest of the free agents. Islanders are the ones that are stupid since this is just more embarassment that was uncalled for.

The waiver process for free agents coming from Europe midseason has been around for a while. I am not saying I agree with it (the concept kind of sucks: one team does all the scouting and negotiating and another team reaps the benefits), but the process has been there for years. He knew this was going to happen. The Islanders did absolutely nothing wrong by claiming him, especially considering their goalie situation right now. They'd have been foolish to pass up the chance.

The waiver process for free agents coming from Europe midseason has been around for a while. I am not saying I agree with it (the concept kind of sucks: one team does all the scouting and negotiating and another team reaps the benefits), but the process has been there for years. He knew this was going to happen. The Islanders did absolutely nothing wrong by claiming him, especially considering their goalie situation right now. They'd have been foolish to pass up the chance.

I guess we will have to disagree here.

Clearly the Islanders didn't talk to him before which is not smart. Like I said above, unnessary bad attention brought to a struggling franchise is not good and with goalie problems you can go a different route than a 35 year old goalie whose clearly coming back to the NHL to win a cup.

Tons of young FA who at least you have the chance to turn into something servicable rather than putting this light on your franchise.

I guess we will have to disagree here.

Clearly the Islanders didn't talk to him before which is not smart. Like I said above, unnessary bad attention brought to a struggling franchise is not good and with goalie problems you can go a different route than a 35 year old goalie whose clearly coming back to the NHL to win a cup.

Tons of young FA who at least you have the chance to turn into something servicable rather than putting this light on your franchise.

I guess we will have to disagree. I don't see how the Islanders can possibly be criticized for this. They have a hole on their roster, guy who fills the hole perfectly falls to them in waivers. They'd have been doing a disservice to the team and the fans by not placing a claim. That's how waivers work. I don't see how a standard transaction translates to unnecessary attention.

I dislike the Islanders, I think they are a POS organization (as evidenced by the Chris Botta incident earlier this year), but they are in the right here. Sure, Nabokov has every right to not report. So maybe calling him a "tool" was a bit too harsh, it's his right. But his agent knew how the system works so this had to have been expected.

I guess we will have to disagree. I don't see how the Islanders can possibly be criticized for this. They have a hole on their roster, guy who fills the hole perfectly falls to them in waivers. They'd have been doing a disservice to the team and the fans by not placing a claim. That's how waivers work. I don't see how a standard transaction translates to unnecessary attention.

I dislike the Islanders, I think they are a POS organization (as evidenced by the Chris Botta incident earlier this year), but they are in the right here. Sure, Nabokov has every right to not report. So maybe calling him a "tool" was a bit too harsh, it's his right. But his agent knew how the system works so this had to have been expected.

Explain to me how a 35 year old goalie benifits a team sitting in third last?

Like I said it was a pointless pick up that just makes both the player and the organization look stupid. I know that they are the rules but absolutely pointless unless the Red Wings are actually the smartest team in the NHL.

Explain to me how a 35 year old goalie benifits a team sitting in third last?

Like I said it was a pointless pick up that just makes both the player and the organization look stupid. I know that they are the rules but absolutely pointless unless the Red Wings are actually the smartest team in the NHL.

The Islanders need a goaltender. They had a chance to grab one for super cheap and they did. Their place in the standings is irrelevant. Completely irrelevant. If anything, it makes this more logical. They need somebody to play, Nabokov comes along the waiver wire for quarter of a million dollars. They do not need to cater to the needs of the other 29 teams just because they are not a playoff team. It made sense for them, so they pulled the trigger.

Again, the rule sucks (not waivers in general, but applying waivers to free agents coming over from Europe midseason). So hate the rule, not the team.

Edited by Phightins

The Islanders need a goaltender. They had a chance to grab one for super cheap and they did. Their place in the standings is irrelevant. Completely irrelevant. If anything, it makes this more logical. They need somebody to play, Nabokov comes along the waiver wire for quarter of a million dollars. They do not need to cater to the needs of the other 29 teams just because they are not a playoff team. It made sense for them, so they pulled the trigger.

Again, the rule sucks (not waivers in general, but applying waivers to free agents coming over from Europe midseason). So hate the rule, not the team.

Yes completely irrelevant because it's not like they had an older goalie in Dwayne Roloson who felt the EXACT same way and requested to be traded from the Islanders because they were not going to make any noise.

It's common sense for the Islanders GM but clearly that statement tells the whole story.

Yes completely irrelevant because it's not like they had an older goalie in Dwayne Roloson who felt the EXACT same way and requested to be traded from the Islanders because they were not going to make any noise.

It's common sense for the Islanders GM but clearly that statement tells the whole story.

Roloson is a totally different situation. Nabokov doesn't have any leverage. He's the guy who decided to ditch and go to the KHL. If he wants back into the NHL this season, fine, but it is not going to be on his terms, as he just learned.

Edited by Phightins

Roloson is a totally different situation. Nabokov doesn't have any leverage. He's the guy who decided to ditch and go to the KHL. If he wants back into the NHL this season, fine, but it is not going to be on his terms, as he just learned.

Didn't explain why the Islanders would pick him up though? Like I understand what you are saying but makes no sense for the Islanders.

Didn't explain why the Islanders would pick him up though? Like I understand what you are saying but makes no sense for the Islanders.

Super cheap veteran at a position of need. Seems to make sense to me.