2011 Slam Dunk Contest

htown11

If that's the case, shouldn't we also discredit Serge Ibaka because he's so tall and has a taller wingspan than most players that have attempted the FT line dunk?

And let's not forget, during his two ball dunk, he didn't even look at the ball in his left hand because he was concentrating on catching the ball with his right and dunking that in. There's very few players in the league today that can do that, I think it was Reggie Miller that said he doesn't know anyone that can do what JaVale did. Not even Dwight Howard.

And that reverse cradle was great even if it was done before. He had to avoid hitting his head on the backboard, had to contort his body and swing his arm in an almost impossible way just to dunk the ball in.

http://cdn0.sbnation.com/imported_assets/658381/gyi0063594783_medium.jpg

If the judges were still voting, I'm sure it would get a 50.

If that's the case, shouldn't we also discredit Serge Ibaka because he's so tall and has a taller wingspan than most players that have attempted the FT line dunk?

Read a few posts up, people are already trying to do that.

Just want to precise something cause I think there's been a confusion here ABL I never ever said that McGee should be discredited for anything... In fact I even said and I quote myself here : "I think they all would have deserved to win." McGee included so.

I just said that FOR ME his dunks were not particularly great, that they were not particularly spectacular, just like all the other players' dunks in fact for the reasons I gave. That is all I said and nothing more.

They might be to you, and that's fine by me everyone's entitled to his opinion, but the fact remains that they were not to me. They were nice but not great. And I'm entitled to my opinion as well. That's all.

I don't see why everyone seems to be so upset with that dunk contest anyhow... It certainly is not a big deal to me but well whatever.

Just want to precise something cause I think there's been a confusion here ABL I never ever said that McGee should be discredited for anything... In fact I even said and I quote myself here : "I think they all would have deserved to win." McGee included so.

I just said that FOR ME his dunks were not particularly great, that they were not particularly spectacular, just like all the other players' dunks in fact for the reasons I gave. That is all I said and nothing more.

They might be to you, and that's fine by me everyone's entitled to his opinion, but the fact remains that they were not to me. They were nice but not great. And I'm entitled to my opinion as well. That's all.

Well I was simply referring to when you said: Especially for someone with such a length, it was clearly a great advantage for him to do these kinds of dunks.

Maybe I'm misinterpreting what you said, but it sounded like you were discrediting McGee just because he has an elite wingspan.

And I know you grew up watching the legends in the dunk contests, so I understand why you believe these dunks were not as impressive. Sorry we can't be as old as you gramps. :glasses:

I don't see why everyone seems to be so upset with that dunk contest anyhow... It certainly is not a big deal to me but well whatever.

It's not that anyone is upset, but I think it's just the fact that Blake got a little too much hype and fan support than he deserved. I think we are all happy with the overall outcome of the event, and it's that the dunk contest is finally back.

Read a few posts up, people are already trying to do that.

Well in Rd's defense, he did say: Free throw line dunks are done all of the time, not just in the NBA. He should've gotten a higher score on it, definitely, but not a 50. If he doesn't get a 50, he doesn't advance.

I completely agree with him there. BFT and I talked about this earlier in the thread, the FT line dunk to me has just lost it's appeal because we see it almost every year. Serge probably did deserve a higher score, but not a 50. There's no creativity involved in it.

• Owner

The point is, Blake's second dunk was a weaker version of DeRozan's first one except DeRozan had a much tougher toss and went between the legs but Griffin's second dunk scored higher. Why? Because his name is Blake Griffin.

I wasn't comparing those two, but again, you wouldn't want to talk about DeRozan's 50 from last year's contest.

And I could care less if I'm changing anyone's mind. It's simple logic. There are some on OTR that realize it as well, and obviously, so did the judges...ironically, all of them being dunk legends. Sorry.

Oh, this is going to be awesome. Want to see DeRozan's dunk from last year?

Go to 3:05 and look at DeMar's dunk from last year. It's a 50, and it's the same exact dunk Griffin did...and Griffin's was a nicer windmill.

He gets all 10's from the judges? Why didn't Blake get that? :laughing:

And Jordan was behind the line, Pippen was a half an inch behind it. I have the Jordan dunk on my Ultimate Jordan DVD's. Same exact spot that Serge jumped from. Sorry.

LOL, and he got two of the three highest scores in the contest for those dunks...BOTH in the first round. Get it through your skull dude, I shouldn't have to repeat myself over and over again. He lost, his fault, get over it and move on.

IDK, HM, MAYBE BECAUSE BLAKE IS 6'10. Blake's second dunk in the first round was the weakest dunk in the whole contest, especially because it took him 20 trys to do it and it had no presentation or creativity. It turned into, hm I'll just throw it off the back board and see what happens. Plus, dunks were rated on a whole different scale this year because of the saturation of the great dunks. If dude comes out with NBA Africa signs and [expletive] and dunks from the FT line and gets a 45, and Blake does that and gets JUST enough points to get past DeRozan with a 46, it's pretty [expletive]ing obvious what was going on.

• Owner

IDK, HM, MAYBE BECAUSE BLAKE IS 6'10. Blake's second dunk in the first round was the weakest dunk in the whole contest, especially because it took him 20 trys to do it and it had no presentation or creativity. It turned into, hm I'll just throw it off the back board and see what happens. Plus, dunks were rated on a whole different scale this year because of the saturation of the great dunks. If dude comes out with NBA Africa signs and [expletive] and dunks from the FT line and gets a 45, and Blake does that and gets JUST enough points to get past DeRozan with a 46, it's pretty [expletive]ing obvious what was going on.

Weird. So size does matter? That means Ibaka's dunk wasn't that impressive?

Guess that also means Nate deserved to win every year, as did Spud.

Or, maybe it's just a reason to try and turn DeRozan into something he's not: a dunk contest winner.

But oh yeah, it's definitely rigged. Everything is when it doesn't go someone's way. Blake was more powerful (by miles), had more ups, had the more impressive windmill vs. DeRozan's 2010 dunk, and did three other dunks that have never been seen in an NBA dunk contest before (VC's elbow, but with the throw, more difficult). Combine all of that, and you have a winner. Can't change the past by whining about it.

Check this image out:

http://a1.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/184334_10150094029750924_194822060923_6461617_2674233_n.jpg

I laughed at this one:

http://a7.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/185775_10150093683755924_194822060923_6458107_3814425_n.jpg

Well I was simply referring to when you said: Especially for someone with such a length, it was clearly a great advantage for him to do these kinds of dunks.

Maybe I'm misinterpreting what you said, but it sounded like you were discrediting McGee just because he has an elite wingspan.

Well I sure was not but I can understand your confusion, I didn't word that correctly indeed...

I'm gonna try to be more clear : it's not like I was amazed when I saw McGee's dunk then said to myself "wait it's easier to do a dunk like that with such a length so it's not amazing after all..." For me all what matter is the result. As a matter of fact if the dunk amazes me I couldn't care less if the player is tall or not, all I care about is that it's an amazing play. And so I would give it a 50.

In this case, as I said the dunk was quite original and nice but it just didn't amaze me. As I said I just said to myself that it was a nice dunk, but no better than the others. Just alright, no more than that. So when I said : Especially for someone with such a length, it was clearly a great advantage for him to do these kinds of dunks. I in fact explained why, IMO, I wasn't impressed by the result, that because of that he made it just looked too easy. But I definitely don't think that he should be descredited him for that, if other people were amazed by this dunk I can understand that they wanna give him a 50. See what I mean ?

I hope I was clearer this time.

It's not that anyone is upset, but I think it's just the fact that Blake got a little too much hype and fan support than he deserved. I think we are all happy with the overall outcome of the event, and it's that the dunk contest is finally back.

I understand, I in fact said it so myself, but my point is that it's now pretty clear that the dunk contest is more a show than a real contest. Which is not a critic by the way... I like this event and it was quite a nice show this year. But if you want to see a real contest you sure will not want to watch the NBA one.

The entire All Star Week End is a show anyhow, even if the big game is a bit more serious... Which is why true competitors like Larry Bird never liked the All Star Game.

Well anyhow my point is that this is why the outcome honestly does not really matter.

• 2 weeks later...