2011 Slam Dunk Contest

htown11

everythings been done before. If someone does something impressive, you complain the simpsons already did it(har har). if it isn't the best but is fun to watch, you guys complain. sorry, but winning the dunk contest doesn't even mean that much, it's just a fun talent show. Ibaka got robbed on his dunks, but other than that the car was fun to watch.

Who is complaining? We are just saying that we don't think what Griffin did was all that impressive.

Creative? Sure.

Impressive? Not really.

I don't think that anybody actually gives a damn about who wins this contest anyways.

Blake wins? I am surprised.

But seriously it was pretty obvious that he was going to take the dunk contest before it even started. It would have been nice to see him do something creative though, outside of that first dunk there was nothing really that stood out.

Blake wins? I am surprised.

But seriously it was pretty obvious that he was going to take the dunk contest before it even started. It would have been nice to see him do something creative though, outside of that first dunk there was nothing really that stood out.

I thought his 3rd dunk was more impressive than the first one that he did. I know that Carter did that before and all, but the lob combined with just how high he actually got was very impressive.

I think DeRozan's 2nd dunk was the best of the night, though. I am bias in the fact that I am a Raptors fan and also think that a swingman dunking just looks better than a big, but I think I have a legit case in thinking that as well. That was very impressive. His first was very nice as well, but him being the first dunker and taking a couple tries to complete it due to Amir throwing some poor passes killed some of the momentum of it (although that didn't seem to effect Griffin's score, haha).

Edited by Built Ford Tough

The fan voting in the Finals is so stupid, though. Blake could have done 2 basic dunks and won, since McGee is pretty much a nobody.

He deserved it, though. McGee's 3rd dunk was nice (1st of the 2nd round), but his awful 4th dunk pretty much killed any chance he had of winning it. As underwhelmed as I was with Griffin's car dunk (again, presentation was nice, dunk was meh), it still blew McGee's last dunk out of the water. I also really enjoyed Griffin's 3rd dunk as well. Thought that was very impressive.

I do agree with you a bit. The more well known player/fan favourite is always going to have an advantage over the lesser known player. Just like last year when Nate beat DeRozan in the fan vote. I thought Griffin deserved it a lot more than Robinson did last year, though.

He deserved it, though. McGee's 3rd dunk was nice (1st of the 2nd round), but his awful 4th dunk pretty much killed any chance he had of winning it. As underwhelmed as I was with Griffin's car dunk (again, presentation was nice, dunk was meh), it still blew McGee's last dunk out of the water. I also really enjoyed Griffin's 3rd dunk as well. Thought that was very impressive.

I do agree with you a bit. The more well known player/fan favourite is always going to have an advantage over the lesser known player. Just like last year when Nate beat DeRozan in the fan vote. I thought Griffin deserved it a lot more than Robinson did last year, though.

explain ibakas FT dunk, 45? cmon now wimp

I thought his 3rd dunk was more impressive than the first one that he did. I know that Carter did that before and all, but the lob combined with just how high he actually got was very impressive.

I think DeRozan's 2nd dunk was the best of the night, though. I am bias in the fact that I am a Raptors fan and also think that a swingman dunking just looks better than a big, but I think I have a legit case in thinking that as well. That was very impressive. His first was very nice as well, but him being the first dunker and taking a couple tries to complete it due to Amir throwing some poor passes killed some of the momentum of it (although that didn't seem to effect Griffin's score, haha).

That's the thing, the dunk has been done before so it wasn't all that appealing the second time around. And he made look so routine lol.

I think the best dunk of the night was Blake's first, that was just amazing. DeRozan definitely gets second, while Ibaka gets third. I think overall, JaVale was the most consistent with his creativity, and he probably could have won had Ibaka not stolen his idea (unintentionally of course, but it was smart on JaVale's part that he didn't go through with it).

For anyone that's curious as to what JaVale's idea was, here it is:

http://dc.sbnation.com/washington-wizards/2011/2/18/2001133/nba-slam-dunk-contest-2011-javale-mcgee

http://assets.sbnation.com/assets/548434/dunkcontest2011_medium.jpg

^^By far the most creative dunk I've seen in a long time. Much better than any of Dwight's dunks.

But this has to be one of the best dunk contests, probably my favorite since 2003. I second guessed the idea of bringing in coaches at first, but I like it. It just adds to the entertainment, especially with a guy like Chris Webber and Kenny the Jet.

NBA officials fist-bumping after the Blake car dunk. Good sign for future: JaVale indicated to me he's coming back w/more next year.

http://twitter.com/#!/RicBucher/status/39177332275150848

Great to hear, hopefully the NBA stops the fan voting, I think if the judges had a say in who the winner was, JaVale would have taken home the gold.

The dunk contest is like Vince McMahons WWF, I'm surprised Vegas still takes bets on this garbage....

Creativity was good, and the best part was no NATE ROBINSON! At least it was better than Dwight putting on a cape and throwing the ball in the basket.

Oh and the skits/gimmicks are [expletive]ing retarded:

That's the thing, the dunk has been done before so it wasn't all that appealing the second time around. And he made look so routine lol.

Understandable. I think how easy he made it look was part of what made it so special, but I can understand where you are coming from.

explain ibakas FT dunk, 45? cmon now wimp

Why are you singling me out when I haven't even mentioned it?

I thought it was very impressive, deserved a couple of 10's but the free throw line dunk it just too overused considering how many people have done it (Jordan, Dr. J, Carter, Smith, Barry, Moon just off of the top of my head) so I can understand why he didn't get a 50. It was the most impressive free throw line dunk ever done, but that dunk has lost it's appeal.

• Like 1

The dunk contest is like Vince McMahons WWF, I'm surprised Vegas still takes bets on this garbage....

Creativity was good, and the best part was no NATE ROBINSON! At least it was better than Dwight putting on a cape and throwing the ball in the basket.

Oh and the skits/gimmicks are [expletive]ing retarded:

Agreed. I can understand Ibaka bringing out his countries flags, but bringing out the opera and having your mom kiss the judges, that's just stupid.

I thought it was very impressive, deserved a couple of 10's but the free throw line dunk it just too overused considering how many people have done it (Jordan, Dr. J, Carter, Smith, Barry, Moon just off of the top of my head) so I can understand why he didn't get a 50. It was the most impressive free throw line dunk ever done, but that dunk has lost it's appeal.

Well said, the FT dunk has just become so redundant (if you don't know the meaning of redundant, ask Charles) it seems like we see it every year. Serge didn't deserve to go to the Finals. As difficult as that dunk is, it's been done to death, and really isn't that exciting to see.

With that being said, I don't think DeRozan deserved to go to the Finals either. He had one amazing dunk, but the other wasn't as great.

Well said, the FT dunk has just become so redundant (if you don't know the meaning of redundant, ask Charles) it seems like we see it every year. Serge didn't deserve to go to the Finals. As difficult as that dunk is, it's been done to death, and really isn't that exciting to see.

With that being said, I don't think DeRozan deserved to go to the Finals either. He had one amazing dunk, but the other wasn't as great.

Bro, Ibaka dunked from BEHIND the free throw line. That isn't redundant.

As for new dunk ideas...

This please... go to 4:48

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vR2XFpaoOxo

His first dunk was better than Griffin's 2nd. It was basically the exact same dunk except DeRozan went between his legs and Griffin did a windmill. DeRozan's was more difficult and he took less attempts to complete it. I don't really see how DeRozan only deserved a 44 on his dunk and Griffin got a 46 for his.

It's great, but it's not a new idea... The FT dunk has been done every year, is it really all that impressive that he's a few inches behind the line?

and he made it on his first attempt, yeah

but personally when i self-judge them i base it on attempts, difficultly and then creativity

His first dunk was better than Griffin's 2nd. It was basically the exact same dunk except DeRozan went between his legs and Griffin did a windmill. DeRozan's was more difficult and he took less attempts to complete it. I don't really see how DeRozan only deserved a 44 on his dunk and Griffin got a 46 for his.

Your probably right, and to his credit, I don't think he had a single prop in his dunks. Major respect there.

Hopefully Blake doesn't enter this thing next year, he's too much of a fan favorite, just like Dwight and Nate were.