2011 Slam Dunk Contest

htown11

• Owner

You're starting to sound like one of the Blake stans on ESPN and TNT. C'mon dude. There's no way, based on his second dunk that he should've been in the finals over either DeRozan or Serge. His first dunk was ok, but was the easiest of the first 4 dunks that were done.

It's too bad you aren't understanding what it means to do a real 360, and starting it after your jump...but okay.

80% of the NBA could do what Griffin did for his last dunk.

/Just sayin'.

So 8 out of every 10 guys in the league can do it? LOL, please. If it's so easy, why is he the first to do it in an NBA dunk contest? You'd think others would do it.

Jumping over a car is difficult. It's NOT like jumping over a person, because you have to make sure your toes clear. You line up a person and jump over him with your legs spread out. You can't do that with a car.

And the height of the car isn't even the bigger factor. When you combine it with the width AND the catch (which was low), it's a very good dunk.

This isn't NBA Live's dunk contest, and nobody in their right mind will attempt to clear a car from the roof, unless they are on the Flight Team and practice dunks every day of their lives.

People can be pissed off all they want. Griffin won, and he deserved it because McGee screwed up his 4th dunk, badly. DeRozan's first dunk wasn't that special. Ibaka did something that has been done over and over again, and I believe even Pippen jumped with his toe behind the line (not just Jordan).

EDIT: Pippen was barely inside of it.

Hard to tell, but Jordan gets it here...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=REt6HbdCT6c

There are other vids from the 85 dunk contest that show it better (one that was from a Jordan DVD), but I can't find it right now.

And no, I'm not a Blake stan. I actually like him, one of my favorite players right now...but his dunk contest doesn't touch Vince's, and I absolutely can't stand Carter. I thought Kobe's wasn't that great. I don't mind telling someone how it is, no matter what player we're talking about...but tonight, it was obvious that McGee screwed up.

Tell me that McGee gets into the final round and does the Jordan mock and the double-dunk to try and beat Blake? I probably give it to him as long as he didn't take forever with that double-dunk.

Also, when Dwight did the mini-hoop dunk, they never stopped the clock to "reload" it. The clock should've never been stopped for Ibaka, and McGee's three-ball dunk shouldn't have counted because he used the rim for assistance, if we're going to judge them this seriously.

RD, don't you think that the other guys were way more creative than Griffin? Blake only won because of the hype around him and his dunking ability. He's a tremendous dunker, but IMO McGee's and Derozan's dunks were a lot better. Griffin's very last dunk was a HUGE disappointment after starting out the contest strong. At least McGee did something nobody has ever seen and Derozan showed some neat skills and hops.

It's too bad you aren't understanding what it means to do a real 360, and starting it after your jump...but okay.

That's cool that he started his 360 after his jump..totally awesome, but it wasn't better than DeRozan's first dunk, or Serge's or McGee's.

So 8 out of every 10 guys in the league can do it? LOL, please. If it's so easy, why is he the first to do it in an NBA dunk contest? You'd think others would do it.

I'm sure there's been some who have wanted, but teams probably didn't let them or they just thought it'd be dumb and pointless to jump over the hood of a fricken little car. Anyone not named Blake Griffin does that, and you hear nothing but crickets in the arena. Dude won because of his name, and nothing more.

Jumping over a car is difficult. It's NOT like jumping over a person, because you have to make sure your toes clear. You line up a person and jump over him with your legs spread out. You can't do that with a car.

It is difficult, but so is every dunk in a dunk contest. Had he added something like a windmill to it, then I could respect the dunk. But he did a plain [expletive] dunk off of a toss. Not impressed

And the height of the car isn't even the bigger factor. When you combine it with the width AND the catch (which was low), it's a very good dunk.

That's all fine and dandy, but even with a low toss the dunk was still average at best. Why? Because jumping over the hood of a car isn't that impressive when you have guys dunking 3 balls into 1 rim and dunking on 2 separate rims at once.

This isn't NBA Live's dunk contest, and nobody in their right mind will attempt to clear a car from the roof, unless they are on the Flight Team and practice dunks every day of their lives.

No one expects him to do that. That's why its totally pointless to even have a car out there in the first place. Not to mention, the choir was the WOAT add-on to a dunk in history.

People can be pissed off all they want. Griffin won, and he deserved it because McGee screwed up his 4th dunk, badly. DeRozan's first dunk wasn't that special. Ibaka did something that has been done over and over again, and I believe even Pippen jumped with his toe behind the line (not just Jordan).

It baffles me how you can sit there and think Griffin deserved that win, or even to be in the finals because that second dunk was pathetic compared to what the other guys were doing. Ibaka may have done something that has been "attempted before" but only a couple dudes have actually done it from where he jumped and they weren't as big as him. You can say his arms are long or whatever you want, but no one that size should be dunking from the FT line, and he did it. McGee has tried that and failed.

EDIT: Pippen was barely inside of it.

Serge wins.

Hard to tell, but Jordan gets it here...

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=REt6HbdCT6c

At first glance, it looks like Serge's foot was further back that Mike's. His foot was legit behind the line, not even touching it.

And no, I'm not a Blake stan. I actually like him, one of my favorite players right now...but his dunk contest doesn't touch Vince's, and I absolutely can't stand Carter. I thought Kobe's wasn't that great. I don't mind telling someone how it is, no matter what player we're talking about...but tonight, it was obvious that McGee screwed up.

I'm still shocked that you think he even deserved to be in the finals of this contest.

Tell me that McGee gets into the final round and does the Jordan mock and the double-dunk to try and beat Blake? I probably give it to him as long as he didn't take forever with that double-dunk.

The cradle dunk was ridiculous but his last dunk was weak because the guy knew he had no shot against the hype machine.

Also, when Dwight did the mini-hoop dunk, they never stopped the clock to "reload" it. The clock should've never been stopped for Ibaka, and McGee's three-ball dunk shouldn't have counted because he used the rim for assistance, if we're going to judge them this seriously.

They looked at the replay after one of the commentators said that and then I think it was Reggie Miller who said he wasn't really using the rim for assistance at all.

• Owner

At least McGee did something nobody has ever seen

And he got a 50 for it. He should've done it in the second round.

and Derozan showed some neat skills and hops.

He got a 49 for his second dunk, even though Kobe has done a version of it in-game (without the bounce, of course). Had he dropped it in backwards, without turning to the rim, he would've deserved the 49 (similar to the dunk that J-Rich performed, but he actually went under the legs and did a one-handed reverse, a dunk that blows DeMar's out of the water).

If it's all about creativity, Ibaka's FT line dunk was pretty weak.

The one dunk that had the most value to it (in terms of it needing to be HUGE to secure the win)...it was McGee's worst dunk, and the worst dunk of the contest.

• Owner

Oh, this is going to be awesome. Want to see DeRozan's dunk from last year?

Go to 3:05 and look at DeMar's dunk from last year. It's a 50, and it's the same exact dunk Griffin did...and Griffin's was a nicer windmill.

He gets all 10's from the judges? Why didn't Blake get that? :laughing:

And Jordan was behind the line, Pippen was a half an inch behind it. I have the Jordan dunk on my Ultimate Jordan DVD's. Same exact spot that Serge jumped from. Sorry.

Because jumping over the hood of a car isn't that impressive when you have guys dunking 3 balls into 1 rim and dunking on 2 separate rims at once.

LOL, and he got two of the three highest scores in the contest for those dunks...BOTH in the first round. Get it through your skull dude, I shouldn't have to repeat myself over and over again. He lost, his fault, get over it and move on.

• Owner

LMAO @ Ibaka's dunk being weak. Are you serious dude? Name one guy that big that's ever done that.

Do I need to quote my post for you? Here, re-read it.

If it's all about creativity, Ibaka's FT line dunk was pretty weak.

Not creative. Many have done it. IF we're just talking about creativity, Ibaka's dunk was weak.

And, again, longer wingspans, with less weight, will make it an easier dunk. Want proof? Nate Robinson has a higher vertical than Serge Ibaka. Can Nate dunk from the free throw line? :lol:

By the way, Samuel Dalembert has done it. Can't find it on YouTube, but it used to be on there. The only thing I found was a dunk one step inside, and he gets this EASILY, with a foul.

He wasn't in the NBA when he did it, though...but he was the same frame and an inch taller than Ibaka when he did it.

Also...Serge is 235 pounds. It's not a lot of weight to take off with. LeBron is a good 260 (25 pounds heavier), and he nearly got it.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/blog/ball_dont_lie/post/Video-LeBron-James-dunks-from-free-throw-line-?urn=nba-121604

Don't overrate the dunk.

The point isn't that McGee lost, its that Griffin was even in the finals. DeRozan's cuff/cradle/windmill thing was better than either drunk Griffin did in round 1 and so was his first one.

Even if Jordan jumped from the same spot as Serge, how can you not consider that impressive by Ibaka? He's a center for Christ's sake. He's not supposed to be dunking from the same spot as Michael Jordan.

Edited by Flash

• Owner

The point isn't that McGee lost, its that Griffin was even in the finals. DeRozan's cuff/cradle/windmill thing was better than either drunk Griffin did in round 1 and so was his first one.

HE GOT A 49 ON HIS SECOND DUNK. Did you want him to get a 70? :rolleyes:

And his first dunk has been done before.

You didn't like Griffin's second dunk? DeMar got a 50 by doing the same exact dunk last year. Did you not want to watch that vid? :lol:

Don't worry, I know why you're doing this.

Even if Jordan jumped from the same spot as Serge, how can you not consider that impressive by Ibaka? He's a center for Christ's sake. He's not supposed to be dunking from the same spot as Michael Jordan.

Or Samuel Dalembert, who is a point guard...

If Ibaka was a 6-10, 285-pound Andrew Bynum clone, he wouldn't be able to do the dunk. Instead, he's 6-10 and rail thin at 235 pounds. Kobe weighed in at 235 pounds a couple of times in his career, post-Shaq days. It's not much weight at all for a 6-10 PF.

You ignored what I said about Nate, because if you answered it, you'd be wrong about what you said. You might as well just ignore the rest, also. It's logic. The length of a player is an advantage when grabbing rebounds and defending players, and even contesting shots. It's an advantage in a dunk if you don't weight the same as Shaq or Yao. How is that so difficult to understand? What player dunked on a 12-foot rim in the dunk contest? Dwight Howard, who is a center. Do I really need to keep going with this?

My job here is done. You can [expletive] about it to someone else.

• Owner

And if you want to discuss creativity. How was Blake's second dunk creative if someone did that last year? No one has done a legit FT line dunk since Michael.

You're the one that was wanting to discuss creativity, which led to what I said, mocking you about it.

Actually, Blake's windmill was a little different, and better (more defined). You can look at the video if you want, or not.

Free throw line dunks are done all of the time, not just in the NBA. He should've gotten a higher score on it, definitely, but not a 50. If he doesn't get a 50, he doesn't advance.

But, okay.

How was Ibaka not a 50, he was farther back than Dr. J. On top of it, DeRozan just got a 50

I agree. I mean it's true that the free throw line dunk has been overused and so it certainly is not original, but honestly none of those dunks yesterday were original. We all saw all those dunks before. Alright it's true that Ibaka's first dunk and McGee's three balls and 2 baskets dunks had some creativity but they weren't particularly amazing... It wasn't hard to do, it was more fun than anything.

Besides Ibaka is the only player, with James White (but it wasn't in the NBA) to ever dunk it without stepping on the free throw line. So it would have been fine by me if he got a 50 indeed.

He should have gone over the middle of the car, not the front.

Absolutely. I mean I was pleased to see that someone jumped over a car in the NBA contest, AT LAST. In the past dunkers dunked over people (most of the time people who were even sitting down...) or dunked over a small table (Green), it was not particularly amazing.

So I was happy that Griffin tried it for the first time in the NBA, but I was quickly disappointed when I saw that, first the car was too close to the basket, and second he jumped over the front. The result was just basic dunk.

I can't say that it's a robbery at the same time that Blake won it anyhow cause no dunks were particularly great in this contest. I can't say that I didn't expect it anyhow... I think they all would have deserved to win. My personal favorite dunk was Ibaka's first dunk, nothing great here too but at least there was some creativity and it was funny.

So basically it was just a nice contest. Better than what we had the year before but nothing more than nice.

Ya you gotta give Ibaka that 50 from the free throw line, even though it is overdone he legit went from the line he got robbed on that dunk.

Also Blake should have gone over the middle, but since he went over the hood he could have at least done a simple windmill or something not just a normal dunk.... maybe it just looked to easy to me but I wasn't impressed by the car dunk at all, the prep work had my hyped for better.

It's like when you see a nice alley oop but the pass was better than the throw down.... I felt like the prep work was better than the dunk itself lol.

• Owner

Can somebody explain to me why it's a disadvantage for a guy with longer legs and longer arms to complete a FT line dunk?

If he was 285 pounds, they'd be able to explain it...but with him weighing just 235, no...they can't.

• Owner

I swear people just regurgitate what the announcers say sometimes. Reggie Miller says it's harder for a 6 foot 11 guy to FT dunk, so it must be true.

The funny part is, if you ask someone why Nate and Spud couldn't do it, and they were actually willing to answer the question (instead of avoiding it), they would say something like this...

"Because Nate and Spud are too short, and don't have the wingspan to finish the dunk."

Then, if you ask why Ibaka's dunk was so impressive, they say...

"Because Ibaka is too tall and long to be able to dunk like that."

It's funny, really.

And you can tell how much he benefits from his height and length in this video below, when he does the FT line dunk to win the contest in Europe...

http://acbtv.acb.com/video/843-lacb-20082009-vuelos_imposibles_en_el_concurso_de_mates

The fact that nobody can avoid is that the shorter you are, and the more you weigh, the harder it is to dunk. You're taller, and you don't weigh as much? You can jump out of the building. Simple as that.

I agree. I mean it's true that the free throw line dunk has been overused and so it certainly is not original, but honestly none of those dunks yesterday were original. We all saw all those dunks before. Alright it's true that Ibaka's first dunk and McGee's three balls and 2 baskets dunks had some creativity but they weren't particularly amazing... It wasn't hard to do, it was more fun than anything.

Oh come on now Oliver, those dunks were not only never done before, but were extremely difficult. The one where he dunked in with two balls he had all of his momentum going towards the second basket, and had to extend his arms in order to dunk the other ball in. Not only that, but he's throwing one ball off the backboard and catching it with one hand, that involves some serious concentration.

And his cradle dunk in the final round was amazing, for a guy that tall to do something like that, is crazy.

You can try and discount Ibaka's dunk all you want, it's not going to change anyone's mind.

The point is, Blake's second dunk was a weaker version of DeRozan's first one except DeRozan had a much tougher toss and went between the legs but Griffin's second dunk scored higher. Why? Because his name is Blake Griffin.

Contest was a fraud. Even if McGee threw down the craziest dunk in the contest he would've lost because of the "fan voting."

Oh come on now Oliver, those dunks were not only never done before, but were extremely difficult. The one where he dunked in with two balls he had all of his momentum going towards the second basket, and had to extend his arms in order to dunk the other ball in. Not only that, but he's throwing one ball off the backboard and catching it with one hand, that involves some serious concentration.

And his cradle dunk in the final round was amazing, for a guy that tall to do something like that, is crazy.

Okay I may have exaggerated when I said that it was not hard to do, I give you that. But don't exaggerate too man, it wasn't "extremely" difficult to do at the same time... Especially for someone with such a length, it was clearly a great advantage for him to do these kinds of dunks. And the result is that the dunks were not particularly spectacular.

That's why that, even if they were very original, I don't deny that at all, I wasn't impressed by McGee's performance. When I saw his dunks I didn't go crazy and started running all over the house if you want lol I just said to myself "nice dunk". No more than that.

As for his last dunk it wasn't original at all, Larry Nance in 84 and Darvin Ham in 97 did similar dunks for example. And Larry was just as tall as McGee so...

So no McGee's performance was not "crazy" to me ABL, but that might be because I ain't a Wizards fan... Just kidding UnderLegit. ;)