2011 Slam Dunk Contest

htown11

The 2011 NBA slam dunk contest will have quite an Oklahoma feel to it, according to a report in the Los Angeles Times.

According to the Times, Oklahoma City Thunder forward Serge Ibaka and Oklahoma City native and former Oklahoma player Blake Griffin, now with the Los Angeles Clippers, will take part in the contest during All-Star Weekend. The dunk contest will Feb. 19 on TNT.

Joining Griffin and Ibaka will be the Washington Wizards JaVale McGee and the Milwaukee Bucks Brandon Jennings, according to the Times.

Griffin has put on quite a show in his first active year in the league, regularly showing up on NBA highlight shows with his high-flying and powerful dunks.

Ibaka is another high-riser fans in Oklahoma City are familiar with, seeing his Air-Congo dunks.

The official announcement of the dunk contest participants will be Thursday on TNT.

All-Star Weekend is Feb. 18 – Feb. 20 at the Staples Center in Los Angeles.

Very excited to see Blake.

Read more: http://newsok.com/report-blake-griffin-serge-ibaka-among-participants-in-2011-dunk-contest/article/3529626#ixzz1ABa5FOOd

lol Mcgee gets another chance to display his free throw dunking skills.

Or this..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=To70JhspeG8

I think this has the potential to be good or bad, but definitely not great. I'm just glad someone from the Wizards is in the All Star festivities, I kind of miss it. Hopefully JaVale impresses some folks out there still trashing him for his failed attempt at the free throw line dunk a few weeks ago.

I personally think he is just as good of a participant for the dunk contest as Dwight was, he's just as athletic, but I think he has the skillset to showcase some real talent during All Star weekend. He definitely has some moves. The only thing separating the two is the hype and the popularity if you ask me.

I remember during pre game warm ups last year he did a 360 windmill while slapping the backboard. Blake will probably end up winning it, but JaVale has a good shot in this competition. Creativity is the main part of the dunk contest, so that's why I'm a little confident in him. I don't recall really seeing anything creative from Blake during games, he's just a powerful dunker with elite athleticism.

Best group I've seen in a while. The scariest part is that Jennings is the worst dunker out of this group. Ibaka and McGee are sick in dunk contest historically.

Best group I've seen in a while. The scariest part is that Jennings is the worst dunker out of this group. Ibaka and McGee are sick in dunk contest historically.

I don't understand why Jennings is in the contest...at all. I was watching Sportscenter, and apparently he has only 2 dunks this season.

jennings? lol. can jennings even dunk?

mcgee will fail on about 20 attempts

very random group.

I don't think that he has done anything note worthy during his time in the NBA, but he had some nice dunks in high school. I don't expect much from him, though, especially considering he will probably just be returning from injury around the time of the dunk contest.

As for this contest, it seems kind of "meh" to me. Big men rarely bring anything great to the table aside from a few, and 3 of them is a bit overkill if you ask me. I also think that Griffin won't be as good as a lot of people think as he seems to be more of an in game, "in your face" type of power dunker. I don't know if he really has the creativity to really excel in the dunk contest. He was hardly anything to rave about in high school, if I recall correctly.

I just can't wait to see McGee try and dunk from the three point line or something. Guy is dumb enough to try something absurd like that. Even if he fails big time, it is going to be entertaining. :lol:

Edited by Built Ford Tough

I would think the Bucks and Jennings would be smart and have him take it easy after injury...

I really don't think Ibaka or Jennings belong in this contest, but it's a one man show anyway.

I bet Ibaka gets second place...

I'm pretty sure in my whole time of being a Wizards fan this is the first time we've had someone participate in the dunk contest. I would have rather seen Nick Young, but I'll take it.

• Owner

Are they still going to have the amateur dunker enter the contest? Do you guys remember that (the fan votes in the amateur dunker)?

If so, Blake will come in second place, sadly.

Otherwise, he's got this.