2011 Slam Dunk Contest

htown11

One thing that I do have to say is that if Griffin had completed his first two dunks on the first tires, they would've both been absolutely ridiculous and some of the best dunks ever in the contest.

Too bad they were just impossible to do. Guy is definitely a freak of nature to even come close to being able to complete some of the crap he tried in the first round (particularly the first one as he wasn't really close on the 2nd dunk).

Blake jumping over the highest part of the car would have been great, but if there were any accidents, Kenny would need to have a nice explanation ready for the Clippers' FO. :lol:

Incredible contest, though. I loved the idea of each player having a coach, with three of them pumping up the crowd as their players went.

What made this contest great is that there was a fair mix of entertaining dunks both with and without props.

I was one of Dwight's biggest critics during the Superman dunk saga but honestly I was happy with Blake's performance. Fan vote needs to go though and I'd love to see Blake come back again next year.

The first two rounds had some of the best dunks I've seen in the past decade. Great, great dunk contest. Every participant was excellent.

Griffin is taking it also because he has the hype surrounding him. Anything the guy does is instantly unheard of, amazing, etc. so he'll get great scores.

Was I right or what?

First off...

Definitely one of the better dunk contests I've seen over the past few years for sure. First round was real sick. McGee was mad creative, BG was on some next level [expletive], and Ibaka was nasty. Even DeRozan was quality for sure.

Secondly,

Ibaka got [expletive]ing screwed by the judges. His dunks were nasty, and he got 45 and 45. The first should've been a 50...

Lastly,

Griffin's dunk over the car was not that great - sorry. The car was only like 4 feet off the ground. I thought he was going to jump over the sun roof of the car, catch the ball, and maybe even land back on the car. But to just jump over the hood was impressive, but it got over-hyped.

Ok, just got back from watching everything and as far as the dunk contest:

- Ibaka was ROBBED. He jumped further than MJ and Dr. J did and he's 7'0 tall. Are you kidding me? That should've been at least a 48.

- Griffin's dunks were garbage aside from the elbow in the rim. The first dunk was a regular [expletive] 360, the windmill was GARBAGE compared to what everyone else was throwing up. And that car dunk...Joel Anthony could've done that. That tells me all I need to know about that crap.

- DeRozan's second dunk was better than anything Griffin did all night, his dunks were great.

- McGee should've won the whole damn thing. The 3 balls was one of the best dunks I've ever seen. And the 2 hoop one was craaazy. He should've won by a landslide.

At the end of the day. Griffin could've done 4 finger rolls and still won this thing by a mile. Absolutely terrible.

/At least James Jones won the 3 point contest though.

Edited by Flash
  • Like 3

- Griffin's dunks were garbage aside from the elbow in the rim. The first dunk was a regular [expletive] 360, the windmill was GARBAGE compared to what everyone else was throwing up. And that car dunk...Joel Anthony could've done that. That tells me all I need to know about that crap.

Agreed with all, except for the bolded. The first Griffin dunk was disgusting - case closed. The arm in the rim was pretty ill, but it was over-hyped as well.

I love watching Griffin play, I have nothing against him, but god are people on his [expletive].

Agreed with most of what you said, but I think you're underrating his 360..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HxHi87jagXM

It doesn't look amazing at first, but after watching the replays, it's pretty sick.

Why does fan voting start before the finalists even dunk? Obviously then Griffin will get a head start just because of his name. And the commentators rode his dick so hard, like everyone else. I like Blake, and he is going to be a superstar for many years to come, but now the way people are riding him, it's getting kind of annoying. Even with a lay-up, he would have won.

The dunk contest is more of presentation and showman skills now days rather than an actual dunk. and now adding "coaches"? What the [expletive]? I felt like I was watching WWE.

I don't know why everyone is getting so upset with the dunk contest, it was easily the best one since the early 2000's imo.

No one is upset. Believe me - I'll sleep fine. We are just discussing the fact that because of Blake's insane explosiveness and talent and how well he's done in his Rookie year, people severely overrated his dunks tonight when McGee had far more creativity and Ibaka had that real sick leap from the foul line.

I don't know why everyone is getting so upset with the dunk contest, it was easily the best one since the early 2000's imo.

It was much better than the past couple of years, but I guess some people are just sick of knowing who's going to win right when the participants are announced. Been on Dwight's dick before, Nate's dick before, and rode the [expletive] out of Blake this year. Imagine if LeBron was in it...I think Kenny and Cheryl Miller would take turns giving him blowjobs while he's getting ready to prepare for a dunk.

This was the best dunk contest since VC without a doubt. 3 of these guys brought it all out tonight, but the guy who won didn't deserve it at all. That's why everyone is disappointed.

It was much better than the past couple of years, but I guess some people are just sick of knowing who's going to win right when the participants are announced. Been on Dwight's dick before, Nate's dick before, and rode the [expletive] out of Blake this year. Imagine if LeBron was in it...I think Kenny and Cheryl Miller would take turns giving him blowjobs while he's getting ready to prepare for a dunk.

LMAO

• Owner

Uh, first of all, Jordan jumped from the line the first time he performed it. Everyone was wrong. I believe it was 1985 (Dominique won). He put down a piece of tape before he jumped, and his toe was behind it. Let's go ahead and make that clear.

Dunks are judged on originality. He has done a dunk that Erving, Jordan, Brent Barry and even Pippen (and others, in other dunk contests) have done in a dunk contest before, and Jordan did it three times (two for the win).

James White dunked from the free throw line...while putting the ball under his leg.

Blake's first dunk wasn't an ordinary 360. Watch the replay. He took off, one-footed, and did a Statue of Liberty dunk...but with two hands. It was a full, complete 360 off of one foot, which is very tough to do. Most 360 dunks don't start with the player facing the basket, jumping off one foot, and THEN spinning in-air.

And not very many are willing to jump over a car, because if your foot catches part of the hood, you're done. You break your arm or shoulder. Considering the fact that the pass was even low, it was a great dunk. He could've jumped over the roof, if he really wanted to.

http://a3.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash1/180684_10150093679410924_194822060923_6458049_3749401_n.jpg

DeRozan had one good dunk. Nothing special about the first one.

Ibaka's second dunk was unique. I would've given him a 47 from the free throw line, and a 47 for the stuffed animal, leaving him tied with DeRozan at the end of the first round.

McGee's three-basketball dunk wasn't that impressive. Wall basically shot the ball in. The first one was AMAZING (double dunk), given the fact that he bounced the ball off the first backboard before dunking either of them. That catch and finish from his right hand was insane.

------------

Overall, McGee would've had a much better chance if he kept the double-dunk for the final round...but it's a mistake a lot of players have made over the years, and they pay for it. McGee's double-dunk may have been the best in the contest, but he screwed up with that final dunk...nothing impressive about it, and it ended the contest. The Jordan dunk was crazy, but you can't go out with what he did.

He jumped further than MJ and Dr. J did and he's 7'0 tall.

No, he didn't. And, being taller helps because of his wingspan and extension. That's obvious. He doesn't weight 280 pounds.

The first dunk was a regular [expletive] 360

Someone wasn't paying attention.

And that car dunk...Joel Anthony could've done that. That tells me all I need to know about that crap.

...Joel Anthony can't even hold on to the ball.

This was the best dunk contest since VC without a doubt. 3 of these guys brought it all out tonight, but the guy who won didn't deserve it at all. That's why everyone is disappointed.

:rolleyes:

No, he didn't. And, being taller helps because of his wingspan and extension. That's obvious. He doesn't weight 280 pounds.

Someone wasn't paying attention.

...Joel Anthony can't even hold on to the ball.

:rolleyes:

You're starting to sound like one of the Blake stans on ESPN and TNT. C'mon dude. There's no way, based on his second dunk that he should've been in the finals over either DeRozan or Serge. His first dunk was ok, but was the easiest of the first 4 dunks that were done.

80% of the NBA could do what Griffin did for his last dunk.

/Just sayin'.

Absolutely. I got friends who could dunk over the hood of a car...it's only like 4 feet high if that? he could've been more creative with that, but hell, he'd be risking his career lol.

There is no way he would have made it over the roof man.

That picture is extremely deceiving for the simple fact that at that point he was at the peak of his dunk.

For him to get over the roof he would have had to been at that height from the beginning and stayed there.

http://a3.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash1/180684_10150093679410924_194822060923_6458049_3749401_n.jpg