2011 Slam Dunk Contest

htown11

I do not expect anything out of this dunk contest to be honest... I'm glad that Blake is in it though. I don't believe that he will be fantastic, as I already said he's more an in game dunker than a dunk contest dunker, besides he wasn't great in his last dunk contest, good but not great... So I don't expect anything amazing from him as well. But it's still good to see him as he is one of my favorite players.

My only hope is that the non NBA player will still be in. Otherwise it'll be just like those past years IMO.

Which player does the former Dunk champion favor in the competition? It didn't take him long to answer that question.

"I think the surprise is gonna be JaVale McGee," Howard said. "Nobody talks about him. But the guy's a legit 7-2 and he can jump pretty high."

http://www.orlandopinstripedpost.com/2011/1/6/1918279/dwight-howard-comments-on-2011-nba-dunk-contest-featuring-blake

http://www.csnwashington.com/01/06/11/JaVale-McGee-practicing-for-dunk-contest/landing.html?blockID=386338&feedID=287

^^Video of JaVale practicing for the dunk contest. I love the one where he takes the paper and puts it in the net. :lol:

I'm pretty sure in my whole time of being a Wizards fan this is the first time we've had someone participate in the dunk contest. I would have rather seen Nick Young, but I'll take it.

Elvin Hayes was in it.

i think you guys will be surprised with ibaka he won a euro dunk contest or something like that when he was over there and he had some nice dunks. I actually have him wining it, or mcgee unless he tries stupid stuff that he cant pull off. i think blake will be more 'in game' dunker but we'll see

I'm just so happy that freaking idiot midget Nate isn't in. He was sucking the life and core out of that contest and committed grand larceny on multiple occasions just because he's tiny.

As it goes for these guys.. McGee is a beast at dunking and I mean beast. He's huge and reckless. He's awesome, he's going to rip the building down for all I know. He'll do pretty well and will go into the contest severely underrated. One thing that will be a disadvantage is his stupidity. I'm not saying he's an idiot off the court or anything, but on the court he does some pretty dumb crap. Then.. you've got Blake. He scares me. He's an absolute freak of nature man, dinosaur arms and everything! He glides in the air like a hawk but still manages to throw it down hard! He's got no regard for human life at all and I think that's a good thing. I think he'll try some crazy [expletive], but the difference between him and McGee is that Blake will actually make the dunk.

I don't care about Jennings or Ibaka as they won't go far.

• Like 1

• Owner

Why do people want to watch centers dunk?

Because Dwight Howard was a top five greatest dunker in contest history, and Serge Ibaka already has a dunk contest victory under his belt (and so does Blake, even though he's a PF).

Because Dwight Howard was a top five greatest dunker in contest history, and Serge Ibaka already has a dunk contest victory under his belt (and so does Blake, even though he's a PF).

idk about top 5 and the only reason he was so good was because he was so creative

• Owner

idk about top 5 and the only reason he was so good was because he was so creative

And because he jumps higher than most others that have ever participated in the contest.

Other than jumping so high and being so creative...what else is required from a top five dunk contest champ?

To be fair it was in Europe for Ibaka. That's no disrespect. I think he'll do well.

If anything Ibaka should get even more credit for that. Cause some of the best dunk contests were European ones this past decade... The best dunk contests ever are certainly the first NBA/ABA ones, that's for sure but since the mid 90's the NBA dunk contest has been more than disappointing... At the exception of 2000 of course.

In the mid 90's I remember a terrific dunk contest in Spain for instance, one of the very best I ever seen. Couldn't find any video of it sadly... That's too bad cause it was really awesome. Darrell Armstrong was in it, he won it with some terrific dunk. There was another player in it that I used to like a lot but... I don't remember his name. He actually put the ball on fire before dunking it, that was quite awesome.

And this past decade we've had some terrific dunk contests un France. Let's take the 2005 one for example :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MycM_jvkGF4

Or the 2007 one :

It starts at 1:50

Guy Dupuy is certainly the best French dunker right now, even maybe the best dunker in the world, here are some of his most recent dunks :

Guy could have won all the NBA dunk contests this past decade, easily. And that is why I hope that someday they will allow non NBA players to enter the contest. If they want the NBA dunk contest to become the best in the world again they HAVE to do it.

• 1 month later...

I <3 Javalle McGee, no clue how to spell his first name. I'm rooting for him so hard, I really am a fan of Blake Griffin, but sick of all the hype. The dude's good, we get it. No need to talk about him every waking second of the Clippers highlights on ESPN. Also I'm aware he is the best thing to happen to the Clippers probably ever.