General Baseball Thread

Phightins

Pitchers and catchers less than a week away. So I figure it's a good time to get the new thread rolling. So let's get this stickied and the old thread unstickied.

Hooray baseball.

Edited by Phightins

Here is Ken Rosenthal's take on the Albert Pujols situation. Pure speculation, but very interesting, like everything else he writes.

WARNING: What you are about to read is pure speculation. It has not, to my knowledge, been discussed at any level. In fact, it is not even my idea.

Harold Reynolds mentioned the possibility Monday on MLB Network. My colleague, Jon Paul Morosi, informed me of it later that night. I then stole the idea from Morosi as if I were Lindsay Lohan in a jewelry store.

Albert Pujols for Mark Teixeira.

And, if that doesn’t work, Pujols for Ryan Howard.

Think it’s nuts? Think again.

Pujols for Teixeira is a way out for the Cardinals, who are running out of time in their quest to meet Pujols’ deadline for a new contract by the start of spring training.

Teixeira for Pujols also is a way out for the Yankees, who lost the offseason to the Red Sox and need a major splash to divert attention from their scary-thin rotation.

Heck, the deal even would be a way out for Pujols, who not only would get his money, but also would leave St. Louis with his reputation intact. His parting gift to the Cardinals would be Teixeira, a first baseman who is nearly at his level.

The Yankees could agree to pay Pujols $30 million per season as a condition of the trade; they’re already paying Teixeira $22.5 million annually, and they’re the geniuses who caused all this trouble by awarding the sun, moon and the stars to Alex Rodriguez, to the tune of $27.5 million a year.

If the Yankees acquired Pujols, they would effectively counter the Red Sox’s acquisition of Adrian Gonzalez — and then some. Heck, they might even start filling those expensive seats in the lower deck of Yankee Stadium, the ones that are about as affordable as Dubai.

The Cardinals also would be huge winners, landing a worthy replacement for Pujols, 31, at a more reasonable price. Teixeira, who turns 31 in April, is owed $135 million over the next six years — a contract the Cardinals gladly would give Pujols if only he would agree to a discount, which he most certainly will not.

There’s a catch. Of course, there’s a catch. But I’ve even got an answer to the catch, that human roadblock who represents Teixeira, Scott Boras.

Pujols, represented by Dan Lozano, has enough service time to veto any trade. Judging from his current stance, he is comfortable leaving St. Louis for the right price. I’m guessing for Yankee money, he’d bolt now.

Teixeira would be a tougher sell. He chose the Yankees as a free agent. He probably would not want to leave. And he, too, is armed with a no-trade clause.

For Teixeira to even consider a deal, he would need to be, uh, properly recognized. As in properly compensated. As in extended, perhaps at least two more years at some monster number, say $27 million per year.

Boras, who also represents the Cardinals’ other big-money slugger, left fielder Matt Holliday, could “work” with the Cardinals to defer part of Holliday’s contract; Holliday already has said in an interview with ESPN Radio he would defer money for Pujols.

Voila!

The Cardinals would live happily ever after.

Of course, with Boras, it’s never that easy. The Cardinals would need a fallback position. Which is where the Phillies enter the picture.

Teixeira is a switch-hitter and better defender than Howard, but Howard wouldn’t be a bad alternative. He’s a native of St. Louis, one of the game’s most prolific sluggers. Cardinals fans might find him even easier to embrace than Teixeira, who is a little bland and robotic.

The Phillies, meanwhile, would kill to make such a deal. Pujols in Citizens Bank Park would be even more frightening than Pujols in Yankee Stadium. And don’t talk to me about money.

The Phils keep telling us they’re maxed out financially, then go add another $20 million ace. They actually would save $4 million this season in a Howard-for-Pujols exchange. They could use that money to keep right-hander Joe Blanton or perhaps make other moves.

If the Phillies do not yet regret their remaining six-year, $145 million commitment to Howard, they might soon; Howard, 31, is a big man who could decline rapidly. The Phils would be better off paying Pujols more money on a longer deal.

Howard also has a limited no-trade clause, the details of which are not known. Not to worry; the Cardinals would have other potential partners if they could not reach agreement with either the Yankees or Phillies.

The Tigers owe Miguel Cabrera $106 million over the next five years, though that deal suddenly looks good for the club — Cabrera is not yet 28 — and Pujols might balk at a deal to Detroit.

Then there are the Red Sox. Sources say they are set to sign Gonzalez to a seven-year, $164 million extension, but will wait until after Opening Day to announce the deal, enabling them to save on the luxury tax.

Think the Sox would renege on Gonzalez if they could trade him for Pujols — and keep Pujols away from the Yankees? We all should be so jilted as Gonzalez would be in such a scenario. He would still get his money, only it would be from St. Louis, not Boston.

The Cardinals need to snap to attention while they still retain a measure of control. They will lose that control if Pujols becomes a free agent. And there is one more advantage to the idea of a trade, an advantage that should seal all but the deal.

Trade Pujols, and he won’t become a Cub.

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/Albert-Pujols-St-Louis-Cardinals-Mark-Teixeira-Ryan-Howard-speculation-021511

Uh...the mere idea of this (from a Phillies perspective) makes me hard. And I guess it does make sense from the Cardinals perspective if they don't think they will be able to keep Albert. But I am not going to get my hopes up.

The Cardinals don't even wanna pay Pujols 20 million a year so I highly doubt they want Tex's 22.5 mill per year.

Creative thinking by Ken though...

I think they would gladly pay Pujols $20 million a year. The issue is the length of the contract.

I think they would gladly pay Pujols $20 million a year. The issue is the length of the contract.

They seem reluctant to give any played 20 million a year really. Holliday wanted 20 million a year, and they countered with a longer contract with money spread out.

They seem reluctant to give any played 20 million a year really. Holliday wanted 20 million a year, and they countered with a longer contract with money spread out.

You can't really compare the situations. Pujols is a different animal. I have a hard time believing the Cardinals wouldn't jump at the opportunity to pay Pujols $28-30 million per year if it was only for 6 or 7 years.

You can't really compare the situations. Pujols is a different animal. I have a hard time believing the Cardinals wouldn't jump at the opportunity to pay Pujols $28-30 million per year if it was only for 6 or 7 years.

They want a contract similar to Ryan Howard's in money and length but they won't get it.

Who knows at this point really...

Rickie Weeks signed an extension today!

The Brewers avoided arbitration with Rickie Weeks, signing the second baseman to a four-year deal that includes an option for 2015. The AP (via The Boston Herald) reports that the first four years of the contract are worth $38.5MM. Ken Rosenthal of FOX Sports reports that the Brewers can void the fifth year of the contract if Weeks is not an everyday player in 2013 and 2014 and Bob Nightengale of USA Today has the details (Twitter links). The deal could be worth up to $50MM, according to Rosenthal (links).

Weeks' deal eliminates the need for tomorrow's scheduled arbitration hearing. Weeks asked for $7.2MM in arbitration, while the Brewers countered with a $4.85MM submission, as our Arb Tracker shows.

Weeks, a former top prospect, broke out with his best season yet in 2010. The 28-year-old hit .269/.366/.464 with 29 homers and 32 doubles. He was able to avoid injuries, playing in as many as 130 games for the first time in his career.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2011/02/brewers-weeks-agree-to-extension.html

Wonder how much of those 4 seasons will be spent on the DL.

Edited by Phightins

Seems like a bad time to sign a guy to a 5-year extension considering he just had his career year.

I think we did the deal for a few reasons.

-He's young at only 28 years old

-He was one of the better lead off hitters in the league last season (29 HRs, 83 RBIs, 112 Rs)

-We don't have to worry about our "future 2B" after trading Lawrie

-Shows Fielder we're willing to spend money on production in an effort to win

-Incentives in the deal based around both health and performance

I think it's a good move. There's a 98% (probably more) chance that Fielder leaves after this season. We'd be losing half our infield if we allowed Weeks to walk too. He's a young player that we brought up through our system and when healthy, is one of the better lead off and second basemen in the league.

The money is pretty even through every year which will allow us to offer extensions to both Marcum and Greinke as we see fit. $10 million per year for a player with Rickie's stats last season is a great deal and it will continue to be a great deal if he can replicate that.

I think we did the deal for a few reasons.

-He's young at only 28 years old

-He was one of the better lead off hitters in the league last season (29 HRs, 83 RBIs, 112 Rs)

-We don't have to worry about our "future 2B" after trading Lawrie

-Shows Fielder we're willing to spend money on production in an effort to win

-Incentives in the deal based around both health and performance

I think it's a good move. There's a 98% (probably more) chance that Fielder leaves after this season. We'd be losing half our infield if we allowed Weeks to walk too. He's a young player that we brought up through our system and when healthy, is one of the better lead off and second basemen in the league.

The money is pretty even through every year which will allow us to offer extensions to both Marcum and Greinke as we see fit. $10 million per year for a player with Rickie's stats last season is a great deal and it will continue to be a great deal if he can replicate that.

I think he's talking about the Bautista deal.

The Weeks deal is solid assuming he can stay healthy (which is a pretty big assumption, but yeah).

• 2 weeks later...